We're getting the Versys 1000!

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Drop_Center, Aug 28, 2012.

1. ph0rk

ph0rk Doesn't Care

Oddometer:
    Damnit, we aren't. Change the thread title, it gets my hopes up every morning and then smashes them :cry
  2. DeedsyDragon

DeedsyDragon Moto Dragon

Oddometer:
    Source? Say it ain't so!
  3. ph0rk

ph0rk Doesn't Care

Oddometer:
    Well, it isn't on Kawasaki's website for 2013, for starters. I can't get that excited about 2014 right now.

They haven't even brought in the 650 versys with ABS yet, so they must not take the segment that seriously. Hell, I don't have their market research, maybe they're right not to.
  4. Grainbelt

Grainbelt marginal adventurer

Oddometer:
    'Canada got the Versys 1000'

'USA only remaining country without Versys 1000'

What would you like? :lol3
  5. MN_Smurf

MN_Smurf Capt_Confusion

Oddometer:
    I'm very tempted to drive 40 miles south, cross the border to Windsor, and bring a Versys 1000 back home with me.

Now, if I could just get the wife on board with the plan........
  6. ph0rk

ph0rk Doesn't Care

Oddometer:
    "Still no Versys 1k in the USA, ph0rk - Don't click, you've been warned." :cry

I would really, really like to testride one of these (with ABS of course). As it is all I can do is hope the new DL1k gets introduced early (not gonna hold my breath).

An upright "relaxed" n1k with more gas would be so awesome. I can only assume they haven't brought it down south because they don't think it would sell.
  7. steveWFL

steveWFL Long timer

Oddometer:
    527 lbs curb-side mass, the Versys 1000 certainly isn’t the lightest bike on the block [​IMG]
  8. mrbreeze

mrbreeze I keep blowing down the road

Oddometer:
    527 lbs ready to rock is not bad for a liter bike - and with that motor, it's going to be plenty strong.
  9. cls

cls Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Agreed, it's too heavy for what it oughtta' be. Give it a sportier edge, taller gearing, and better gas mileage. Then I'll really get fired up. Much potential...
  10. ph0rk

ph0rk Doesn't Care

Oddometer:

Yeah, why can't every bike manage to be under 500 lbs, have 116 hp, 75 lb-ft and get 50 MPG US? :rofl
  11. robfilms

robfilms Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    can a canadian sold bike be registered in the us?

why wouldn't it be legal?

how many z1k parts does the versys 1k share?

ymmv

be well.

rob
  12. cls

cls Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I would have a Ninja 1000 if it got better gas mileage. I would have a V1000, if it were lighter and got good gas mileage (And were available here, of course.). Of the two, if they had those changes, I'd go w/the V. I'm trying to narrow down to fewer bikes in my older, more mature state (If only you knew how funny that was...). A V1000, under 500 # max, Givi E55 trunk bag, V-stream shield, 45+ mpg when commuting, 110+/65+ hp/tq when playing, on fully adjustable suspension, w/excellent fit-and-finish and quality components would be the dream. Yes, I'm looking for it all. I've had a bunch of bikes and ridden a bunch of miles, over a (relatively) bunch of years; I want what I want. Basically a Duc Multi 1200S Sport, but w/Japanese reliability, availability, and livability. That'd do it...And I'd still have at least a couple other bikes. Love these things! It's all good fun.
  13. cls

cls Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good to know. All the economy ratings I've seen on the N1000 have been pretty poor. I hope the V1K comes this way w/some cool tweaks. A Versys 1000R, maybe. That sounds nice...
  14. MN_Smurf

MN_Smurf Capt_Confusion

Oddometer:
    From the research I've done, it appears to not be too hard to import a vehicle from Canada to the US for personal use....as long as it meets EPA and FMVSS regulations. Canadian safety regs for the most part mirror the FMVSS rules. The sticking point is the EPA, and it appears that Kawasaki tested and submitted the V1K for approval. In that case, you have to get a letter from Kawasaki Canada to certify that the bike meets US EPA specs, then pay your tax and bring it in. Plenty of info out on the interwebs on how to do this. The value of the dollar to the Loonie is the big sticking point right now.....too close to even.
  15. drassif

drassif Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Still waiting......
  16. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/VQFxmAdyKcg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  17. drassif

drassif Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That is a great clip. Ted knight was a funny guy and absolutely right.
  18. mrbreeze

mrbreeze I keep blowing down the road

Oddometer:
    got my hopes up for a minute there....
  19. JerryH

JerryH Vintage scooter/motorcycle enthusiast Supporter

Oddometer:
    1000cc is too big for my needs, and ABS is definitely a no-no. I see the 2014 650 is also ABS, but local dealers still have plenty of 2013 models, priced as low as $6999. If I wanted a Versys, I would grab one of those. Look like fun, but I need more comfort.
  20. Colorado_Rider

Colorado_Rider Banned

Oddometer:
    I guess were're not getting the Versys 1000. Amazing, isn't adventure tourers the top selling bike in the US right now? Or good enough for them to sell a few here?