Lobsters to Llamas, Maritimes to Argentina

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Kedgi, Oct 7, 2012.

1. Jim-Mer

Jim-Mer Slowing Down Supporter

Oddometer:
    Oops, reply to wrong thread...my apologies!

Jim
  2. Jim-Mer

Jim-Mer Slowing Down Supporter

Oddometer:
    DOH! Got it right after all, had too many windows open, Including maybe one in my brain. Enjoy NW GA, a fabulous place to ride this time of year.

Jim
  3. Kedgi

Kedgi Banned

Oddometer:
    I understand I almost did the same thing yesterday. Glad you're along for the ride.
  4. Kedgi

Kedgi Banned

Oddometer:
    I made some distance yesterday down to Dothan AL. I'm 90 miles from Panama City FL. When I left, Gainesville my entire plan was to avoid Atlanta. I did. I rode West, toward Rome GA before heading south on Rte 100. At some point I stopped for a coke in a small store on Rte 20 a had a great chat with the store's owner and other patrons, I only wish I had thought to take their pictures, really nice guys!

I crossed the path of the ride I made this Spring, from Key West To Shediac in the tiny town of Tallapaloosa, GA.

I saw a lot of Cotton growing. It is the first time I have seen it ready for harvest. You even see cotton balls lying on the side of the road. Not sure if they are blown out of the fields or off trucks carrying the harvest. All in all it is a nice ride in north Western Georgia and Eastern Alabama. I like that rte 100 in GA and CR 82 in AL

All along the ride I have seen Obama and Romney signs on lawns, cars etc, everywhere. Then I got to CR-82, a great road through rural eastern Alabama and these signs started popping up on lawns. I knew then I was officially a long way from Shediac, NB

[​IMG]

When I got to Dothan, I found a room and checked my email and Angele had provided these great photos from home.

Liam and Melody, our neighbor, Sophie's kids who I miss seeing every day. Liam talked to me on Skype, when I called home and was concerned about the cost of my gas for riding so far away. Gas by the way is 82 cents a litre here and $1.29 a litre in New Brunswick. Part of Canada's "Free" Healthcare

[​IMG]

and then, this second great picture of Bob and I keeping in touch by Skype. Bob wants to know when I'm coming home to give him a treat.

[​IMG]

The forecast in Panama City Beach today is for "much cooler, dryer air" 80 degrees and sunny

When Angele and I passed through here 4 years ago it was opening day for Jimmy Buffett's new Margaritaville in Panama City Beach. We wanted to be among the first customers since we were passing by. Trouble was...... on radio Margaritaville they kept saying the new restaurant was in "Panama City" It's not, it's in Panama City Beach which we drove past. When we realized the location info was wrong we didn't double back because of a pending thunderstorm coming in off the Gulf and we wanted to get our trailer set up before the rain came.

Today, I am finally going to see the Panama City Beach Margaritaville, not that it's a big deal, but I want to see it, even if I am not among it's first customers. Can you tell I've been a Buffett fan since the 80's?
  5. Kedgi

Kedgi Banned

Oddometer:
    Grand_Digue is 10 minutes from my place in Shediac and although I have never seen the water side of that Inn, I think it's one in Bouctouche, NB
  6. Kedgi

Kedgi Banned

Oddometer:

I like that area around Rome, Canton down to Tallapoosa and I was directed through Cave Spring, GA, by the guys I met in the store on rte 20, on my way to rte 100, from rte 20. That looks like an awesome little town. I didn't stop to take pictures, I was trying to get south, but it does look inviting. I had a great ride through there. Perfect weather! A KLR is ideal on those Georgia back roads.
  7. ty.zardoz

ty.zardoz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Fellow maritimer here, would love to be along for the ride... but will have to be happy with subbing to your thread... my day will come... been retired for 14 years.. but haven't got a suitable bike for such a trip. Perhaps I'll have something bigger for next summers adventures.

tyz
  8. MoToad

MoToad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You'll have to tell me about the Panama City area, Kedg. I am looking to put my feet up in a reasonably priced furnished studio for maybe a month but from what I am seeing down here in the Keys, it prolly won't be here. But, that coast looks inviting.:1drink
  9. motor-ray

motor-ray FNG

Oddometer:
    You're getting close to my neck of the woods. You have a meal on me if you stop in the Mandeville area on the way through. I also have a bike lift and garage available if you need to do any maintenance.
  10. novaboy

novaboy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Subscribed, fellow New Brunswicker here in Rothesay.

The Florida panhandle is probably the nicest, laid back part of the state, and it has the best beaches too.

Wishing you continued good luck on the ride.
  11. Kedgi

Kedgi Banned

Oddometer:
    Nice to have a Maritimer follow along! Welcome

I'm going to try and get an update done later this morning before football....stay tuned
  12. Kedgi

Kedgi Banned

Oddometer:
    Hey Motor-Ray

That's a nice offer and I just may take you up on that. I'm not exactly sure when I will leave the panhandle area but I'll PM you when I decide to move on. I still want to see Flora-Bama and if I can find a place nearby I may hang out there for a day or two.
  13. Kedgi

Kedgi Banned

Oddometer:
    I have arrived in Panama City Beach. PCB.

Yesterday on the 90 mile ride down from Dothan, AL I stopped and took pictures of cotton growing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Most of my ride was along two lane blacktop like this in excellent weather, 80F and Sunny, perfect for the KLR

[​IMG]

Then I arrived in PCB.

[​IMG]

I searched the length of the beach looking for a place to stay. I even checked out the State Park. I wanted a place within walking distance of a decent little bar where I could watch NFL football on Sunday and chill out for a couple days after completing 4000 kms to the Gulf of Mexico

I almost gave up and moved further West but then I checked out one of the first places I had seen. The Emerald Bay

[​IMG]

Then I met the manager, Timothy. Very nice guy!

[​IMG]

Timothy gave me what I thought was a good deal. $65/night taxes in for this beautiful apartment, one block from the beach

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I park in my own spot right outside my door and the beach is just the other side of that highrise

[​IMG]

Here is the beach

[​IMG]
  14. Kedgi

Kedgi Banned

Oddometer:
    If you have never seen them you owe it to yourself to visit the beaches of the Gulf Coast. Stunning! White sand doesn't describe it. The sand is like powdered sugar.

[​IMG]

It is really bright.

[​IMG]

I finally got to see Margaritaville, Panama City Beach. It is about a mile east of where I'm staying. I rode by and tried to take a movie with my GoPro which was full because I had made a movie I hadn't planned on again. GoPro's need a more positive button and a light you can see in sunlight. Margaritaville is part of a huge outdoor shopping complex called Pier Park

[​IMG]

I rode around the Pier Park loop and didn't see anything of particular interest to me. It is all tourist shopping, restaurants and bars, much of it very upscale. So once I settled in my room I decided to walk to Margaritaville along the beach. I made this little movie clip with my Olympus camera

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5022-dRh-hg
  15. Kedgi

Kedgi Banned

Oddometer:
    I went in for a look around. It's a very nice bar.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  16. Kedgi

Kedgi Banned

Oddometer:
    I had one beer, a Landshark Lager and then walked back to my apartment along the street.

By the way, this is the bar at the other end of the Pier Park Gate from Margaritaville. This gives you a sense up the upscale beach style architecture in Pier Park

[​IMG]

On my way back I saw this beautiful '64 Chevy

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And I saw where you can buy a piece of the beach

[​IMG]

Or if over a million bucks seems too steep for a small lot, how about a condo?

[​IMG]

I was talking to a local contractor later who told me that a lot of these big high rises are half empty. I'll bet you could negotiate a better deal.

Now that I've updated my ride report, I intend to just chill and watch football at the Sand Bar, which is right across the street
  17. Kedgi

Kedgi Banned

Oddometer:
    Hey Toadride

This spot at Emerald Bay is very nice. I'm sure Timothy would give you a good deal for a month, but I think he told me he's full November through February. This building is on Rte 79 where it intersects Front Beach Road in PCB

I went in the McDonalds this morning for breakfast and I saw a free Classifieds Paper. There were a lot of furnished rentals available for about $200/week. I have no idea what they are like but I'm sure you'd find something. Be aware that Florida, this far north can be very cool at times in December through February
  18. Kedgi

Kedgi Banned

Oddometer:
  19. scrappyscooter

scrappyscooter Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Make sure to visit 30a while you are down there PCB.
  20. motor-ray

motor-ray FNG

Oddometer:
    Sounds good. I'll PM you my phone number also as I travel for work so phone is often the best way to reach me. :ear