KTM 530 EXCR- More better!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by neduro, Apr 3, 2008.

1. malcolmzilla

malcolmzilla Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Christini 530 frame kit showed up. No assembly progress, reading the instructions I have to remove the gearbox to get the engine back in... :huh Waiting on fork springs and the jet kit as both the carb and forks will be hard to get at and require some AWD disassembly to service.

Attached Files:

2. barrier

barrier Says who?

Oddometer:
    Hey Malcolm, engine should go in from the right without any problem. Just remove the cam cover.
    Here is a picture of my '08 530. Rekluse clutch and LH rear brake on the bars. This bike would go anywhere!:clap
    [​IMG]
    That one was sold and I am expecting another big brown box from Steve Christini any day soon. :wink: Same deal, I will be fitting it to my '11 530 and scooting off to Morocco for some sand action!:D
    If you have any questions please just ask!
    Regards, Barrie.
  3. dirtdiver

dirtdiver Long timer

Oddometer:
    Gents, I know this is off topic but I think that we are pretty much of the same mold. So, can anyone tell me if there is a overall opinion on the bmw g450x bike? Is it any good? I REALLLY like my 530, although it has given me some trouble, it still runs great and performance wise, is all I could ask for. However, I cannot pry it out of my son's hands. I have been riding the crf250x which has gotten tedious. So, I am thinking of another bike similar to the 530. What about this??

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/mcy/2327910524.html

After I get a response or two we can delete this post since it is not pertinent to the original thread. But I value the collective opinions here.

steve
  4. Shocktower

Shocktower Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ok I'm having problems getting my bike to run with out the choke on it will not run, but with the choke on it runs fine, I have had issues with a clogged idle jet, I am hoping this is not it Oh yeah I was running with out the air filter does this have a big say so in it running ??? . I am to wits in :ear
  5. BeezaBoy

BeezaBoy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I can't believe these things are legal. Way too much fun!

I'm finding the break-in a difficult thing to do on the street - maintaining the speed limit on this thing is a chore.

I live in a Park, so there are no off-road areas within 100km.

Mods so far:
    JD jet kit
    Cycra Probend Handguards
    De-Smog etc

Does chopping the baffle in the pipe make the bike much louder? I really like how stealth the exhaust is right now.
    I also have a bog in the low rpm range. When riding in 1st if I crack the throttle hard it will bog for a moment before picking up power again.

Also, I feel really weird about using mineral oil for the break-in process, but it sure is nice not to throw away $10 worth of oil after 20 miles.

Attached Files:

6. Country Doc

Country Doc Wanderer

Oddometer:
    It's a great bike, Steve. It has it's idiosyncracies like the KTM's, but has proven to be very reliable. Perhaps less of a "race weapon" than the KTM (although lots of races have been won on the 450), it angles slightly towards the longer distance/rally events perhaps rather than hard-core singletrack/endurocross/etc.

Lots of good info in the G450X thread here in Thumpers. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one if I was in the market for another four-stroke off-road bike.

dc
  7. touser

touser canned fruit

Oddometer:

yeah, what's the go with the cam? i'm new to the KTM also

does anyone have a rekluse on their's any thoiughts on them
  8. north_of_us

north_of_us n00b

Oddometer:
    first post had to do it someday, ive been reading threads for 2 months straight. lol
    I just picked up a 450exc (my first bike, i know its a little much but i move up quick and so far 100 k and im lovin it) and put the Rekluse clutch in it, with LHB and clutch lever removed. From what ive read finding neutral is a little tricky, and the starter alone doesnt start the bike in gear, need starter with a kick, another story.

I cut out the restrictor last night, crazy how the little pipe can make a difference. i havent done the cannister thing. is there anything thats needs to be bought in advance, i know off that Blais ??? kit but that seems pricey for what you get, is it a must.

Havent really done much trail with it, snow just left and its a mess, Northern Ontario, but im pleased with the traction and clutch so far. Its a huge, heavy, and crazy powered mtn bike (my background).
  9. dirtdiver

dirtdiver Long timer

Oddometer:
    Dc, Good to know. I spent a good bit of last night reading through the bmw thumper thread at over 200 pages... I noticed oil changes at 10 hours and piston changes at 50 hours. Hmmm.

steve

10. BeezaBoy

BeezaBoy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey north_of_us,

I just used some 3/4" fuel line (about 1') and 3/4" vacuum block off caps, both of which came from Napa autoparts.

[​IMG]

I'm waiting for a different screw to plug the hole in the carb, but for the meantime the rubber seal seems to be working well.

The Blais kit is nice, but you are paying a lot for convenience.

Do a search on youtube, and there is a good video of the blais installation which you can use to do your own bike with.

I'm not sure that I understand your shifting problem though...
  11. Country Doc

Country Doc Wanderer

Oddometer:
    The KTM manual says basically the same thing.

Most of the guys on that thread are over 150hrs with no valve movement and no motor issues yet.

Bobby Woolridge, VP at BMW Atlanta rides and races a G450X and is well versed in the pros/cons - he's a real nice (and fast!) guy, and would be a good resource to ask a few questions also. (BMWAtlanta on this forum).

dc
  12. FlyingDutchman

FlyingDutchman Dirt Biker

Oddometer:
    I have a wicked 2006 Easton Synergy Si-Core 100 that still performs well after 350+hrs. Minor cosmetic damage but it still blasts around 90mph like it was new. If you have any questions related to this post that has nothing to do with KTM 530, please PM CountryDoc.:rofl
  13. Deseret Rider

Deseret Rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Touser -Go back to page 73 on these threads and you will find the 'mirror image' cam discussion. The early '08 530 cams would not activate the auto compression release --making the bike hard, if not impossible, starting with the button.
  14. bhab

bhab Captain o' Adventure

Oddometer:
    I don't know if you are trolling or clueless. Are you really asking how to shift a motorcycle? A Rekluse is an automatic clutch, not an automatic transmission. You're not getting out of 3rd gear. Here's a hint: One down, five up. I hope you haven't been riding on the street as you obviously haven't had an MSF course.
  15. guns_equal_freedom

guns_equal_freedom Long timer

Oddometer:
    Umm, no, I think you pretty much have it covered. :lol3
  16. 5 speed

5 speed Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes my 530 was hard to start. I know that it did come from the factory with the correct cam already installed because I bought it from a regional rep and it was his personal bike. However, it did not have the blockoff, jetting and new needle. This bike when warm starts with the first push of the button, even in gear. Simple mods and when its right the bike is wonderful. LOVE IT.

PS I was doing 85mph about 5 hours ago out on some forest dirt roads. It just runs so good and I felt some surging with the throttle wfo in 5th so I think I can even go up on the main; though I rarely have it wide open. I usually lug it in 3rd around in the sand in the woods.

I still end up doing 85 regardless :evil

GOT TO LOVE THIS BIKE
  17. oinky1982

oinky1982 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ok, some comment about the 570 big bore kit in my bike.....awsome, lot of torque, every time you turn the trotle it response without any rpm, actually 32 hours on the kit everything still perfect,

But I have a question about the suspension setting. Around 75 mph, it starts to sway and the faster I go, the more it sways. When I accelerate, it's ok... the problem is only when I drive at a constent speed. :norton

any sugestion ?

thanks for your help
  18. Bora20

Bora20 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Do you have a steering stabilizer? Have the wheels been balanced?
  19. 5 speed

5 speed Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yea, I have a steering stabilizer,first one I have had and dont think I will ever have a bike without one. World of difference, especially in sand. Bike tracks straight even at 95mph. You should check the steering head bearings and if you have balanced your wheel with weights and are sure its true, i would also check the forks and make sure they are not binding in the triple clamps. You can do a search as I know I have read the process to properly torque them.
  20. malcolmzilla

malcolmzilla Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Barrie, I will give that a try :wave.

Today I welded up a wheel truing stand and laced and trued the front AWD hub to the stock rim. Turned out not bad for my 1st attempt. I will start assembly this week.

Attached Files: