Let's see your F650GS pics!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by flux_capacitor, Feb 6, 2006.

1. Gravel Seeker

Gravel Seeker Old, growing older.

Oddometer:
    Dreary old Norway, dreaming of adventures past
    I thought I had more pics of it laying down, but can't find any. So I guess I've only crashed it this once :lol3

There's a 'pics of bikes laying down'-thread or similar over in the "Pics, pics, pics" section, but not specific to GS's.
  2. Gravel Seeker

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Did you have them add som foam since they were already working on it or just replace the cover ?
    I had my F650 ST seat reworked by an upholsterer here in Oslo about 11 years ago and he charge USD 265 back then. This was the same company that rebuilds all the police motorcycle seats and he had original BMW non slip cover material which he used. He also built it to my specs completely.
  3. Gravel Seeker

Oddometer:
    Nice bike.
    If you take it off the bitumen a fair bit may I suggest trying the Michelin T63 tires. They worked very well for me on all surfaces around Australia so much that I've used them ever since 2005 regardless of riding and surface.

I bought a large sheep skin at Queen Victoria Market in Melbourne for AUD 50. I could've saved money on a smaller one, but had multipurpose plans for the skin at the time. Point is though that where I could only ride an hour before getting loss of bloodflow/ pain in the past I can now ride for about 3 hours before the same sensation sets in. Since it's a great insulator it also keep me cool on warm days and vice versa. I use a short flat Andy strap at the front and a short regular bungie at the rear. Feels weird now when I ride without it. Cheap investment.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  4. TheColonel

TheColonel Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Cheers Gravel Seeker, I am planning to get new tyres in the next few weeks, was thinking of the Heidenau's K60's.
    Not sure I want a full knobby just yet.
    As for the seat, I am tall....6'5" so I need more of a permanent fix for the seat. I need it higher and the pegs lower plus the bars higher. It has a small bar riser on it but not high enough for me.
    Other wise the bike is great.

[​IMG]
  5. Gravel Seeker

Oddometer:
    I have the Toruatech rally peg kit and whilst expensive, it lowers the pegs and move the back a tad. Combined with bar risers my bike now fits me perfectly when standing.

The T63's actually stick very well on wet asphalt. I've never had any slipping on dry asphalt and ride it like it was a slick.
    I've not tried the Heidenau's.
  6. kubiak

kubiak Long timer

Oddometer:
    nice bike you got there! i have the same seat as yours but cut the hump off the back portion and added a little foam. way more comfy than the standard or low seat for sure.
  7. kubiak

kubiak Long timer

Oddometer:
    i grinded off the back hump then added a little foam a few covers ago so the last job they guy just recovered it. i buy all my seat material from him so he gave me a killer deal on the seat cover. i should have had him write something on it like renazco does!
  8. GSBS

GSBS FunHog

Oddometer:
    I've been running the Heideneau K60s front and rear on my 03 Dakar for awhile now and really like them. I got over 6K miles from the rear and the front still looked almost new when I changed the rear for another. Now the newer K60 rear has around 3K on it and the front looks like it'll probably be good until that rear is worn out. So... about 2 rears and one front for 12K miles! When restoring my bike after a 2010 accident last year I had two Woody's Excel rims superlaced on the front and rear hubs and went from the stock 17" rear to an 18" rear, so this could affect wear somewhat compared to stock (tire has larger circumference). I'm running a 140/80-18 rear and a 90/90-21 front.

New K60 on my bike (currently at 82K miles and has seen lots of different tires - these, T63s, TKC80s, Mefos, IRC GP1s and GP110s, D606s and a couple of others). Of everything I've tried these are my favorite...
    [​IMG]

Overall shot of bike:
    [​IMG]

The Heideneau tires don't look as aggressive as the T63s (which I've run as well) but seem to grip about as well off road to me and the K60s are markedly better on pavement, wet or dry, IMO. The T63 rears I've had on my Dakar lasted about 2,500 miles and the front about twice that, but really cupped up badly in the last 1K miles or so. For me the K60s are a much better value since they go over twice as far with better overall performance. They also cost more - $150 for the rear vs. about $70 for the T63. $85 for the front vs. $70 for the Michelin.
  9. Gravel Seeker

Oddometer:
    Are the Heidenau's similar in thread depth to the Metzeler Enduro 3 Sahara's ?

[​IMG]

I wouldn't take them off the pavement again....

[​IMG]

I guess different riding styles and air pressure makes alot of difference, because one of the thing I really like about the T63's is that the front wears really nice and even with no or little stepping (unlike the Pirelli MT21's which look like a Mayan pyramid after 25 minutes). Riding fully laden around Oz I got about 6000km from a set, but never wore them out and could easily have gone another 2000km I reckon. Tires are like chicks though, go with what you like, which isn't necessarily what your buddy likes :deal
  10. GSBS

GSBS FunHog

Oddometer:
    They look similar, but so do the IRC GP110s which really sucked. The K60s seem to sling/self-clean themselves pretty good in the mud. I've never had issues of loading up like in your photos.

I log a lot of miles on my Dakar and for me the K60s just make more economic sense than the T63s (which I actually like as well). With the Heideneaus I can go 12K miles on two rears (@6K each) and one front for a total cost of $385 (3.2¢/mile). With the T63s I have to change rear tires at 2,500 miles and fronts at 5K miles. It takes two rears and one front ($210) to go 5,000 miles (4.2¢/mile) plus I'm changing tires more than twice as often. And as mentioned above, I like the Heidi's more on pavement and just as well on the road compared to the Michelins.

To each his own. These just work best for me.
  11. Gravel Seeker

Oddometer:
    exactly
  12. sage06

sage06 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    took my new 2000 F650 out for her first ride on a rare not raining day up here on the olympic pensula.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

came with a full set of cases and under 14k on the clock for $2500
    now I just need to find a corbin for it....any one got one?
  13. mattomoto

mattomoto 2 wheels rule

Oddometer:
    Sage advice there Thomas!

Happy New Year Everyone! :freaky
  14. sage06

sage06 Adventurer

Oddometer:
  15. goldentaco

goldentaco Long timer

Oddometer:
    better late then never, Soda Springs Rd. this past Summer.

[​IMG]

Overlooking Bear Valley, CA

[​IMG]

Mt Lassen From West Prospect Peak Lookout

[​IMG]

Figueroa Mtn. near Santa Barbara

[​IMG]

J
  16. Gravel Seeker

Oddometer:
    Yeah, real profound :lol3

Happy new year !
  17. Gravel Seeker

Oddometer:
    Nice bike :thumb
  18. ktrout01

ktrout01 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sweet ride !

Check out the Saddlemen Adventure Track seat. I replaced the torture device on my 2003 with one and love it.

[​IMG]
  19. TobyG

TobyG SlothRacing.eu - Travel and Racing Products

Oddometer:

Better?
    Don't have any pics of it on the bike, yet.

[​IMG]
  20. TheColonel

TheColonel Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info GSBS very helpful, and your bike is awesome....very nice.
    Cheers.