The CRF250L Owners thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by joec63, Sep 4, 2012.

1. streaks77

streaks77 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    from Service Manual page 16-8: "tighten the bottom bridge pinch bolts to... 24 lbf-ft."

Not sure why they call them that, but it's definitely the fork clamps illustrated.
  2. kiwi5

kiwi5 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How much has the big bore kit affected fuel efficiency? Also, what sprocket set up are you running? I REALLLY want one of these kits...!
  3. Chitown Dave

Chitown Dave Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Bag-O

Lol! Thanks.
  4. streaks77

streaks77 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Should have an answer for you later this week on efficiency. I'm running a 13t sprocket up front, stock on the rear with a speedodrd to correct the display.
  5. Turk

Turk 'Bab Man

Oddometer:
    chain question fellas...I'm going to buy some spare masterlinks however I'm having trouble finding the right one. Mine has DID 520VF written on it, the ones I'm finding online are 520V or VM but not VF. I'm not really clued up on chains to be honest, any info would be much appreciated.

Also, what do you guys carry on the trails that would assist in fixing a broken chain?
  6. EEKAMOUSE

EEKAMOUSE Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Motion pro or similar quality chain breaker a good muti tool a spare section of chain and last but not least at minimum 2 master links
  7. Turk

Turk 'Bab Man

Oddometer:
    I'm guessing clip links are preferred to rivet due to them being easier to fit on the trail?

Any thoughts on the VF part?
  8. SAPB

SAPB Long timer

Oddometer:
  9. higher_ground

higher_ground n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi everyone--

This it my first post here--I've lurked for a while, and bought a LRP back in April. It's my first bike. Anyway, I'll cut to the chase, my LRP was stolen about two weeks ago. The good news is that it was recovered two days later by the police. The bad news: the thieves took it for a joyride, and broke a number of things on the bike.

--Obviously, they completely tore through the lock cylinder, completely removing it and breaking through the handlebar locking mechanism. The bike now turns on/off by inserting a screwdriver through where the lock used to be.

--Somehow they also managed to break off the entire rear fender (tail light, rear signal lights, etc.).

--The removed the spark arrestor (and/or other muffler insert). The bike is much louder now.

--The rear wheel has a great deal of wear, even though they only put 200 miles on it. Small chunks of rubber are missing here and there. Also, there is a screw stuck in the tire. I haven't removed it yet, and the tire still holds pressure. I imagine I'll have to replace the tire though.

--They also pried open the locking gas tank cap, so that it lo longer attaches. Also the tank is dented around the cap, from the prying.

--The seat does not fit 100% snugly anymore and wiggles a bit near the top of the tank. I'm not really sure why.

--They bent the shift lever a bit. Still operable.

--Various scratches here and there.

--The mirrors were also missing, and I have already replaced those.

The bike still seems to work fine, although I have only really ridden it around the block due to the rear wheel having a screw in it. Anyway, I want to fix the bike but don't have a ton of spare cash to throw at the problem, and I'm wary of going to the dealer in my area (negative experience when buying the bike). My plan is to replace as many of the broken components as possible, and then take it in for a tune-up and to change the rear wheel

I'm wondering if anyone has advice on what other things I should be looking for (in terms of damage that may be hard to notice). Also, I know people have done fender replacements, muffler replacements (and possibly gas tank replacements)--I would be VERY INTERESTED in purchasing those unused parts, particularly the rear fender assembly and spark arrestor.

I'm a little less interested in the gas tank, as I might go for a larger one.

I'm also wondering how to go about replacing the lock cylinder (and locking gas cap). Do I have to go through a dealer for this?

Thanks for reading, and I appreciate any advice!
  10. jsonder

jsonder Tired Old Fart

Oddometer:
    higher_ground, did the shift lever look like this?

[​IMG]
  11. higher_ground

higher_ground n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info! As for the seat, I'm thinking the tank might be slightly bent from trying to pry the cap off (at least I hope so... :huh ).
  12. higher_ground

higher_ground n00b

Oddometer:
    No! :eek1 It's not bent very much... I'd say it's bent maybe 1 or 2 cm inwards, towards the bike. I'll have to take some pictures when it's light out.
  13. Darknessprevails

Darknessprevails Adventurer

Oddometer:
    i always have had the fear of my bike getting jacked. more so with how light it is. sorry to hear man : (

did you have any kind of insurance full coverage or something that might help in a situation like that?
  14. higher_ground

higher_ground n00b

Oddometer:
    Yeah, they took it during the day in a relatively busy residential area. Unfortunately I was too cheap to get the comprehensive coverage... actually it was not even offered to me, I've been told you often have to specifically request it. :deal Anyway, lesson learned.
  15. Darknessprevails

Darknessprevails Adventurer

Oddometer:

that was my first question : ) with as cheap as it was i couldn't pass up 200 for a year!!:clap
  16. callison

callison Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What do you mean by rear fender assembly?

I've got the license plate holder monstrosity, you're welcome to it if you don't mind paying the shipping.
  17. higher_ground

higher_ground n00b

Oddometer:
    I mean the whole thing.. license plate holder, rear tail light, rear turn signals, etc.
  18. Schrauberklaus

Schrauberklaus ***ifyer

Oddometer:
    modification done

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Oil change , Valve check , and Grease on all the necessary places done.
    YSS Shock and Dunlop D605 are big improvement in the handling ,
    as FMF ,13T and EJK on the Power
  19. Lapchik

Lapchik Professional Neurotic

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Where did you get that grey exhaust cover?
  20. Schrauberklaus

Schrauberklaus ***ifyer

Oddometer:
    Thats one off the real Carbon Parts that Honda Big Wing Bangkok sell for the CRF