Windshield

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TheDuke, Jan 27, 2013.

1. TheDuke

TheDuke Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Dang Me. I cracked my windshield. Is there a way to repair it? The crack is about 10 inches long. Is there a resin or some type of adhesive that will do the job. Something that doesn't show too much.

Bob
  2. 1greenmachine

1greenmachine Long timer

Oddometer:
    When I had my windshield replaced I asked the guy about cracks like yours and he said about as long as a dollar bill is what they can fix most of the time, unless you have a shitty insurance like mine they may pay most of replacement costs.
  3. H96669

H96669 A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer:
    I inquired about getting a star chip fixed a few years back. Sure they said but only if it is fresh, otherwise crap gets in it and the epoxies won't work.

Too late for the one I got last fall, on my way to work no time to visit a shop.:cry

You could if you want to stop the spread, drill the glass at the end of the crack. Through the outer glass down to the plastic laminate with a diamond bit on a dremel using a magnifier to see what you are doing. It works for a while I have done it.

How is your deductible out there if you have coverage? $200.00 here, that sucks big time and no they won't pay for repairs anymore like they used to.:baldy And $200.00 deductible on a windshield I could get installed locally for $250.00.:cry
  4. rapidoxidationman

rapidoxidationman Easily trainable

Oddometer:
    I've found that the $10 repair kit for windshields at Wal Mart works just fine for chips and stars. If you can find the kit that has 4 suction cups surrounding a hub, it'll include several sheets of plastic that are meant to help fix cracks too. The hard part is making sure the resin gets into the crack, but I've had pretty good luck with that most of the time.
  5. 1greenmachine

1greenmachine Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a 250 deductible and the windshield cost 275 and the company who's truck dropped the rock told me to get bent.
  6. HapHazard

HapHazard Be Kind - Rewind

Oddometer:
    I've had some success with the repair kits. One thing that helps to get the resin into the spot (especially in cold weather) is to put a incandescent light on the dash near the repair - the warmth helps the resin to flow in (just don't burn up your dash).

It's worth a try...
  7. troidus

troidus Long timer

Oddometer:
    I used to be able to get GM windshields installed for $75. Haven't had one done since the 90s, though, and Safelite isn't around here any more, so I don't know what the going rate is.
  8. H96669

Oddometer:

Some lowbed was dropping rocks not long ago.At the very same place where my windshield got broken a couple months before. Yep I was tempted to pass the blame on him but had a feeling that the same would happen. Just to stir the pot, would have served him right for driving that lowbed like that.:D

Effers....the garden truck driver with the rear gates swinging and the wheelbarrow/plant pots ready to drop....I don't think he liked my honking last week.:lol3 But sure forced him to stop and secure his shit.:evil
  9. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    I moved to Ontario last summer and went looking for a 2nd vehicle for commuting. A couple vehicles had cracked windshields that I would have to replace to pass inspection for ownership transfer. Long story short, I googlized windshields dealers around the GTA and Barrie areas, I found that I could have it replaced for 160 cash from several different shops, and they'd come to my house to do it.

I ended up buying a car that didnt have broken glass. :lol3

good luck
  10. H96669

Oddometer:
    I am a little weary of them cheap windshields. Had one installed and it was about 50-60% of the thickness of the good old OEM GM it replaced. And then it also got broken shortly afterward and wasn't much of an impact that did it in.:cry
  11. TheDuke

TheDuke Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I guess my original thread was not very clear. The word windshield is the problem, I think. The crack is in the plastic windscreen on my motorcycle. I have the Memphis Shade. Sorry 'bout that.

Bob
  12. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    And we did our best to try and help over the last 2 days. :D:baldy

Yeah you need a new shield, or drill very small holes along both sides of the crack, and safety wire it using stainless steel wire.

Or depending where the crack is can you cut the shield shorter removing the cracked pieces?

Good luck
  13. dfwscotty

dfwscotty Long timer

Oddometer:
  14. rapidoxidationman

rapidoxidationman Easily trainable

Oddometer:
    KLR owner, eh?:lol3
  15. TheDuke

TheDuke Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hahha. Unfortunately the crack is near the bottom so no cutting will help.

Bob

QUOTE=Maggot12;20604090]And we did our best to try and help over the last 2 days. :D:baldy

Yeah you need a new shield, or drill very small holes along both sides of the crack, and safety wire it using stainless steel wire.

Or depending where the crack is can you cut the shield shorter removing the cracked pieces?

Good luck[/QUOTE]
  16. TheDuke

TheDuke Been here awhile

Oddometer: