Richmond Va chatter

Discussion in 'Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge' started by mikeinrichmond, Dec 19, 2008.

1. skychs

skychs chuck smith Supporter

Oddometer:
    Very nice Halfplate! Thumbs up for the original.

If anyone wants to ride south Fri-Sun I'm meeting some cruiser friends down in Little Switzerland NC. All pavement. I'm riding the Goldwing. No mud for me this weekend.
  2. jgiacobbe

jgiacobbe Long timer

Oddometer:
    I will say Eddy is good about checking on the slower riders in the group and making sure you are not a mile or two back stuck under your bike. I remember him helping to pick up my weestrom several times in a very short stretch. no judging or laughing, just a "you ok" and a hand picking the beast up and getting rolling again.

I have yet to ride Big Levels but I've been told it is easier than Shoe Creek. You will be able to make it through Shoe Creek but take your time and be careful. You might fall down and you night not. Me, i have managed to fall on every DS ride I've been on except one. Always seems to be while stopped or almost stopped and on uneven terrain.

Make sure you have plenty of water with you. Also, I hope you have hand guards and a decent skid plate. At some point you will use the skid plate and if you fall the hand guards are a must. If you have a second helmet that is not your favorite, that might be the one to wear that day too. If it is warm enough, wear your mesh gear. You'll get hot quickly going slow on the trails. If you can do without them, you might want to leave the side cases and top case at home.

That is all the great knowledge I have to impart, one off-road noob to another. It is probably worth what you paid for it.

I'm looking forward to pictures and/or video.
  3. Guy Young

Guy Young Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's good to hear, altho' previous ride reports have left me with the impression that no body was looking out for anyone else.

4. ddlewis

ddlewis Long timer

Oddometer:
    Got the green light for riding Saturday.

Shoe Creek's got some rough and rocky sections and I'd be leery of it on big bike. That said, I'm in if y'all are. We'll take it easy as possible. I am available for bike lifting and GS pieces carrying. :evil

Big Levels mostly on par w cell tower road, sometimes it has some mud holes up top. Hopefully it's not on fire this time.
  5. jgiacobbe

jgiacobbe Long timer

Oddometer:
    On the ride you were referring to, Eddy hung back to wait for me and the next in line didn't, hence we got separated. After that it was just a day of missing each other by a couple minutes. With Eddy riding the GS and leading this ride, I would not expect that being an issue. If nothing else, when he falls over, he may want the help picking up his own beast. That is part of the reciprocal part of him being willing to help pick up bikes even if you fall 100 times in 100 yards.

That is enough of me talking about a ride I won't be able to go on. I'll see whomever is there at Poe's on Sunday.
  6. ddlewis

ddlewis Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not true. Split up on purpose but miscommunicated the reconnect.

In retrospect - there's a strong case against splitting up in rough areas like that especially when there's no cell coverage.
  7. manganos

manganos Let me pontificate.

Oddometer:
    I've done Shoe Creek on 17" sport bike tires on both a XR650R and a WRX - both in supermoto setups. It was interesting after a good rain ;)
  8. DirtDoctor

DirtDoctor Long timer

Oddometer:

Like it!!

Regarding riding Saturday, my boys have their first XC (Cross Country 5k) Invitational Race at Fork Union this Saturday am and I will probably ride west after that. May see you all somewhere out that way. Have fun and ride safe.
  9. skychs

skychs chuck smith Supporter

Oddometer:
    I say print them up. I like it. I'd pitch in on the cost or buy a stack to give out or both. Im not sure what the little logo is at the bottom right of the deal. Did I miss something with that?

Hey Dan....
    A couple of us have walkie talkie's or even portable CB radios. Maybe we should consider taking them off road when there is not cell coverage. Just a thought. The walkie talkie's work great for skiing.
  10. MotoMujer

MotoMujer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    @ Jeremy - thanks for the tips.

@ HalfPlate - what Chuck said. What's the story with the little mark in the bottom right?
  11. teeter

teeter Frank Zappa the 6th

Oddometer:
    MotoMan is perfect. Let's do it!

Are you a professional graphic artist? Nice work.
  12. Guy Young

Guy Young Long timer

Oddometer:
    Suspect it's the artist's "signature."

13. HalfPlate

HalfPlate What? Where?

Oddometer:
    The little mark on the lower right corner is an Inuksuk, I put them on all my proofs so I can keep track of finished projects and ones in the works. Whoever is going to have them printed let me know so I can package the graphic the way the printer needs and send it to you. Also for costs purposes I can remove the red if you want.

-No I am not a professional but graphic design as always been a hobby of mine.
  14. ddlewis

ddlewis Long timer

Oddometer:
    Either a pro graphics guy or he slept at a Holiday Inn Express.. :D

I can see it now, that IS cool! Good work..
  15. MotoMujer

Oddometer:
    HP, I'll shoot you a PM when I get back to my laptop.

Guy, I wont be making the RTE today. My starter boots have been great, but its time for an upgrade; going to have a look-see at Mortons (not much by way of Gortex for ladies locally). Hopefully Croakers Spot will be in the rotation again soon! :dg

Eddy, where shall we meet manana?
  16. Eddy Alvarez

Eddy Alvarez Motorcycle ADD Supporter

Oddometer:
    Here's the deal for tomorrow...

1. Meet at the "Chubbies" gas station (4200 Anderson Highway, Powhatan, VA 23139) at the corner of Midlothian (60) and 522 at 0800 (I can imagine Mike groaning when he reads this!)

2. "Gravel Road Jedi Master" Andrew Lacy has agreed to guide us out on 60W to some gravel roads en route to Big Levels.

3. From there, have fun, help each other up, take some cool pictures, get some lunch along the way (snacks and water very strongly recommended) and then ride some twisties (maybe 56) back to the river city!

4. Try to be home before dark for dinner! (and Motrin!)
  17. HalfPlate

HalfPlate What? Where?

Oddometer:
  18. MotoMujer

Oddometer:

Cool beans. Re: stickers, I'll shoot you a PM.
  19. higworld

higworld Cheeseburger in Paradise

Oddometer:
    Hey Guy --- do you recognize this bike? The fine folks at Mortons tell me the previous owner was active in COG, so I thought you might know him and have some knowledge of the bike. 2003 that was traded in a few months ago.

[​IMG]
  20. Eddy Alvarez

Eddy Alvarez Motorcycle ADD Supporter

Oddometer:
    Heck yeah, that's Kurt Nordstorm's (KWN308) old bike. I can't believe that it's still there for that price. It probably has more money in farkles on it than the whole bike is worth by itself. If I were in the market for a pavement only steed, I'd buy it in a second.

P.S. Kurt is a A+ straight up guy who I understands takes excellent care of his toys.

I'm sure Steve Anderson would MUCH rather sell you that 2007 Royal Star that has been gathering dust there for over a year, LOL!