New Guy. I might be an Old School Fool. TX 750

Discussion in 'Old's Cool' started by CalsXS2, Sep 16, 2012.

1. CalsXS2

CalsXS2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Guy's. I stumbled across this sight while searching for TX 750 info.

So anyway. I just got a 73 that has been sitting since 1984. It has 4600 mile's on it. It was an Old Man's who just died,and this was in his estate sale. I paid $40 for it. :wink: I got the original title,,,and I even got what looks to be a unused factory service manual.

My whole goal was to buy it for part's for my 72 XS2 650. The motor was locked up on the this 750. I've got it broke free, but I damaged something in the process. I don't know what until I take the head off. Fortunately, I've got another running motor on the way as we speak. I'm getting ready to walk out the door to pick it up. My 73 has all the upgrade's I believe. The motor I'm getting does not. So depending on what I find out when I pull the head, I have it in my mind that I'll just do a head swap and have myself a good motor with all the upgrades.

Can you guy's tell me where the vin is on the motor. I can't find one anywhere. From what I read on this site, supposedly Yamaha delivered motor's to their dealer's for replacement. I'm wondering if I have a replacement motor that didn't get stamped. Hell. The bike only has 4600 miles on it. How many miles can that new motor have,,,if it is a replacement. Either way, I have a low mile motor.

I'll posts some pic's when I get back from picking up my other motor. Oh ya. Did I mention I'm getting it for free. :wink: I just hope it's good. But the price is right so I have to take the gamble. Is there any other site's that you guy's can point me to. I want to find out all I can. Thanks.
  2. Wolfgang55

Wolfgang55 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Most welcome!
    Sounds like you already have a good project start.
  3. concours

concours WFO for 50 years

Oddometer:
  4. CalsXS2

CalsXS2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Id didn't even know you guy's replied. I must not have my notification set right. :huh

So anyway. Here's what it looked like when I got it. Pretty corroded after sitting in a barn since 1984.
    [​IMG]

Here's how it's sittin now. I got another all most complete bike for free. Between the 2, I'm getting 1 nice one. I swapped out the motor, and the chrome. I threw some Superbike bars on there that I all ready had. I'm still into this thing super cheap.

[​IMG]
  5. concours

Oddometer:
    Tell me you didn't REALLY take a sawzall th eoriginal mufflers....
  6. CalsXS2

CalsXS2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    OH NO I DIDN'T!! :eek1

My original's were shot. Those came with the free part's bike I got.
  7. CalsXS2

CalsXS2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My master cylinder is shot. I borrowed one from my XS2 to try and get something to work. Right now I have trash. I need to try and clean the pad's I guess and see what that gives me. I'm not even sure the XS2 m/c is any good.

My point is, do you find that the single front disc to be sufficient. I would love to make it a dual since it was an option.But the splitter is impossable to get. I'm going to have to buy a new m/c anyway. I thought I would just get the one from mikesxs and go the dual route. Whatcha think. Dual's,,,or the single is fine.
  8. rbjenterprises

rbjenterprises Just wandering in SW VA

Oddometer:
    Use dual ss hoses for the front discs and a double banjo with a switch in it at the MC. Keep it simple.
  9. concours

Oddometer:

That single disc is a great stopper. Better than my Norton Commando disc and my Triumph discs of the day. The dual isn't needed, IMHO. I drive mine VERY BRISKLY (like awards from the constabulary) and braking is never an issue. The master for the TX750 is very rare, but since I did my resto, there are now repro's. I have a XS650 master on mine, works fine.