Salem/Keizer/Albany/Jefferson Meet-ups

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.' started by Bigmak, May 8, 2009.

1. Jakwriter

Jakwriter Yes!

Oddometer:
    I was just lookin' for a Corvallis meet up, but would happily, uh, JACK(?)

So when's the next shindig, and where? I mean it's a whopping 67 and sunny out there right? Even the most OCD, Chrome Monster, Garage Queener can't pass that up.

JACK, JACK, JACK!!
  2. BrandonR

BrandonR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's almost 5:00. Then we can all get out for some fun.
  3. smilin jack

smilin jack Grandpa Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You do know about the PNWriders.com meet-up at the 2nd street pizza store, 1st Wednesday of each month=7pm in Corvallis? Check them out on the web.

Several of us adv guys are heading over to Enterprise for the June 16-19 Hells Canyon Gathering 2011. You're welcome to tag along, if you're out of school by then. We're heading over June 15 from Albany/Lebanon/Corvallis area. Went last year and had a ball, so going again.
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=622989

Dave
  4. InTheSticks

InTheSticks Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well, the snow's slowly melting....
    Rode up in the Monument Peak area south of Gates yesterday, got stopped by snow at 3,600 ft. There's a lot of lower elevation roads in that area and we were able to do a nice loop via Tom Rock. Previously, we've dropped down into the Thomas Creek drainage from that road....
    The photo is from a view point just east of Tom Rock, looking north, Gates Hill in the foreground, Rocky Top to the right......

[​IMG]
  5. darnold87

darnold87 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sounds and looks like a good time! I have been wanting to get back up to that area for a while now... Gonna have to do it soon. Glad to hear the snow is finally starting to melt.
  6. InTheSticks

Oddometer:
    Rode up into the Monument Peak area again on Sunday. Got stopped by snow at 4,000 ft just west of Monument Peak where the road crosses over East Rock Creek. I'd imagine that in a couple of weeks the whole area will open up

[​IMG]

Then we made our way down and east past a bright yellow "quad and automobile exclusion device" :evil
    The next photo is looking west down the North Santiam valley, overlooking Gates and Mill City. We were at about 3,800 ft there....

[​IMG]

Fun ride, but starting to get dusty !!!
  7. dasvis

dasvis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Had a short riding window open up on Sunday & took a quick solo trip. Attempted USFS rd 2207 to Detroit & was stopped by snow @ 3,451' according to my GPS. Turned around & came home before the wife knew that I was gone......
  8. InTheSticks

Oddometer:
    Is that USFS 2207 ?
    Based on where the snow is now it will be a least 3 weeks before the summit is clear, the last 2 miles is on a north facing slope and takes a while to melt.
    From rides so far, it looks like I'm getting places 2 weeks earlier than the heavy snow year 2008.
    Will be interesting to see if the recently fixed slide area survived the winter - hope so :)
  9. InTheSticks

Oddometer:
    Went up 2207 yesterday, from the other side - French Creek out of Detroit in the jeep (ATGATT consisted of shorts, sneakers & a seat belt *grins*).
    No road closure signs, the slide is stabilized and open, though kinda narrow :

[​IMG]

The snow starts about 1/2 mile above the slide at 4,000 ft.
  10. Pablo Mac

Pablo Mac Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Pablo Mac from Lebanon finally got a dual sport bike, and really wants to do some riding around the region!

[​IMG]
  11. fbritt5

fbritt5 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I know someone that knows the area around you pretty well. We do some rides in the spring, summer and fall. We do an occasional winter ride too if possible.

I've been working on my yard for a few weekends but I am about due for a ride soon too. Let me know if you'd be interested. I could pass your information on the my buddy. He knows the area, I just get lost.

We're average guys in our 50's and 60's. Guns are ok. We both ride DR's so about the same kind of bike almost.

Let me know.

Frank

12. Pablo Mac

Pablo Mac Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    PM sent.
  13. InTheSticks

Oddometer:
    Rode up to Monument Peak (south from Gates) yesterday and looks like the last of the snow has melted.

Was hoping to loop around west to High Rock then Tom Rock, but caught up with a backhoe and truck pushing the winter debris off the road, decided to turn back.

Looks promising though :)
  14. dasvis

dasvis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think that Edgy & I will be up there somewhere tomorrow. Yet TBD, but likely...
  15. FastMag

FastMag Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I went up 2207 from the Little North Fork side yesterday (Friday). Met snow past Opal Lake but was able to easily get around it. One tree down over the crest on the Detroit side but that was also easily cleared on a bike. Roads are clear.
  16. InTheSticks

Oddometer:
    Excellent news !!
    Will ride up there in a few days and hopefully take 520 past Tumble Lake to the radio tower lookout over Detroit Lake :)
  17. dasvis

dasvis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Confirmed!
    Edgy & I made it over 2207 today. He had a little difficulty with the snow patch on his huge F800GS, but we were able to push it thru. Another week & it will be totally gone. Really nice day for a ride, stopped @ the Trio tavern in Mill city for an ice cold beverage - recommended stop, classic old school bar.
  18. hailea

hailea n00b

Oddometer:
    One of these times I want to join you guys... Lived in Albany all my life but am newer to dirtbikes and what trails go where.

I'm looking for somwhere to ride that isn't full of 3-4" gravel

Adam
    XT225
  19. InTheSticks

Oddometer:
    Yes - you should come up to the Gates/Detroit area - lotsa nice firm gravel forestry roads.
    I ride a dirtbike, but 90% of what I do could better be described as off road-touring with lotsa sightseeing thrown in.
    (I hate 3-4" of gravel too......
  20. Edgy Drifter

Edgy Drifter Err...what?

Oddometer:

Snow patch...?! Snow PATCH! It was a drift that would have turned back Scott on his arctic explorations. I was told "...it's open all the way over..." seems that accurate information is sketchy at best around here. The rest of the ride was snow free and thankfully gravel free too. There is a certain dive in Detroit that has to learn what a special is, ie, it should be less than regular price, not more, but I won't name names, but it's a theme restaurant. All in all a fun ride, my toothache notwithstanding...Edgy

Attached Files: