Adventure in Ohio?

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by somecallmetim, Nov 14, 2003.

1. mgorman

mgorman Crashing since 1964

Oddometer:

Makes me wonder if post count / membership time is proportional to how clean their bike stays?
  2. Solace

Solace Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm out. Worked late, didn't get the bike fixed. Gotta go back to work today for more.

You guys have fun and I'll try for next time. Take pictures!

M
  3. Gonzo_Matt

Gonzo_Matt Random Hero

Oddometer:
    Went out exploring by myself today. Decided to head toward AEP land in the morning, several roads there being logged out made for some good riding, I stuck to mostly gravel since I was alone. I recognized several of the spots from riding with Meef and co. a few weeks, back, found quite a bit more on my own, the GPS was handy to tell the difference between road and horse trail...I worked my way back home around noon, rode some danville area gravel, went up Bat's Nest, little more challenging after the rain, especially with a mostly bald tire...

[​IMG]
  4. alansz400

alansz400 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I went to Wellsburg West Virgina today to buy a Leatt brace for my boys. It was cold on the way down but real nice on the way home. Stoped at cabelas and had lunch. Found some gravel on the way home and didnt get in any rain.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Beer can chicken, baked beans, corn, 2 cold sides and drink for $7.99. Seemed like the best deal cabelas had and the only thing I bought.

[​IMG]
  5. BOB RAMSAY

BOB RAMSAY Not in the Clique -

Oddometer:
    If you missed the ride today, it was a good one.

I think we had nine riders. Rode from TH down near McArthur and back. No dust and some mud here and there. The proper amount of water running down all the stream beds. Lot's of Red Bud trees out. Everyone stayed on pace and no one became misplaced. Big Ohio, I and a fellow on a Suzuki RMZ 400 broke off at the 60 mile marke and got back to TH about 3:30. (Note: I didn't get the fellow's name on the yellow RMZ - if anyone knows his handle let me know).

The guys on the bike bikes, a BMW Dakar, an 800 GS really got a workout. I won't even mention the Buildit's Super Enduro (it's in the steamship class). I wouldn't dare take on some of those trails on a big bike myself. More power to you guys.

Big Ohio is now 'the threat' on his new 450EXC. Parked his 690 and began life on competition bike today. Watch your mirrors.

I saw a couple of cameras come out - some pics may soon appear.

Thanks guys - I had a great time!
  6. Mikef5000

Mikef5000 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great ride today around tar hallow! Started with 9 folks too; impressive!

I didn't take many pictures. Took one video of a tough section, but of course, the inclines don't show up, so it's not even worth posting. Hopefully Luke got some good video.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Oh, and flagger had an extremely impressive showing on the 800gs!!!
  7. buildit

buildit Guns, bikes and Bows

Oddometer:
    Glad to hear it Bob. Oh and his name is John (Mtnbiker), seldom posts here but may show up tonight. Byro rocked the GS down some stuff I was slipping and falling in on the 950. I can only imagine he is at home asleep now. :D BigOhio looked uber happy on the new play toy. Good to see old friends and recent acquaintances show up. Felt bad for Travis and the GS650 breaking the cowling, but at least he was close to home.:deal
    I got home, unloaded and washed the bike, the gear, myself..... :lol3 It was a good ride and I'll start looking at photos and video after dinner.:thumb
  8. 2MuchFun

2MuchFun aka CrazyJ

Oddometer:
    Was definitely a fun time today. Quite impressed to see that big GS make it through all that mud. Realized after we got back to the parking lot that I hadn't taken a single pic all day. Hope some entertaining vids show up.
  9. 'Flagger

'Flagger ..this space for rent..

Oddometer:
    Excellent ride today, boys. Apologies for ditching y'all after 35 miles. I really wanted to continue but I was getting worried about my 3 year old battery and the real possibility of not being able to start the bike if I kept restarting as often as I was. Voltmeter showed low 9v on a couple of those restarts.

Next time: fresh shoe on the rear. It's in the garage ... just too lazy to mount it.

Ironic moment of the afternoon: After watching the group bounce away from me, I punched up 'Home' on the GPS. Where did it tell me to go? Right down the same 'road' you all had just taken.
  10. buildit

Oddometer:
    :lol3 We didn't get to far. You should have come along so we had two bikes to push up a hill. :evil

Some pics
    [​IMG]
    Something in the trail knew I wouldn't remember it si it gave me a present to remember it by. Didn't even start hurting till I got out of the truck at home.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Cool sky colors and patterns on the way home, but no rain yet.

Where was everyone?
    [​IMG]
    Oh, here they come! Must of got tired of me roosting them. :D
    [​IMG] Crazy J. and Mike 500,000,000.00 :)
  11. BOB RAMSAY

Oddometer:
    Buildit -

On that power line stretch - maybe we should do some time trials there. Set up, measure some 'personal bests'. Hand out ribbons. With the damp traction today, the only limit to speed would probably be a bulging self-preservation gene. Nothing to run into, other than maybe a little face-to-dirt interaction.

Of course, you have to wade through the 3' deep stream crossing first.

Actually, by the end, I had reacquainted myself with the highlands swamp pits. Reminded me of old times (many times down that road). It's not that bad unless you submerge into light ice in March (or, you don't mind the smell during the rest of the year).

An idea for the future - maybe work in a picnic break.
  12. buildit

Oddometer:
    It would be fun but why turn it into a competition? But if people wanna race there are lots of enduros. I do this for fun and just to simply make it thru. I'll leave the racing to the pros like you. :D
  13. motodirtlover

motodirtlover Motodirtlover

Oddometer:
    Did someone say RACE??!!
    I'm in.
  14. BigOhio

BigOhio Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the ride Luke and all the others. Had a great time, butt needs toughed up a little but overall feel much better than if I would have been on the 690. I do really like the 450 but almost looks like a mini in this photo. Kinda feel sorry for the poor little fella carring me around all day. :eek1

[​IMG]
  15. indypup

indypup ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the guided tour around TH Luke! I had a great time. It was nice meeting some new riders too!

I'm a little warn out and will probably not edit my video until tomorrow night. ;)
  16. slammer218

slammer218 Slammer

Oddometer:
    East Palestine Hare scramble was great. There was a black DRZ with a street plate that was flying. Anybody from Here. Sure would have given M. Gorman a run for his money...:lol3
  17. mgorman

Oddometer:

HOLD THE PRESSES!!!

You trucked/trailered your 950 there? :scratch

You basically demasculinized the most powerful dirt bike ever made :linzi

18. mgorman

Oddometer:

I was hoping to race there today and bring Makayla to her 1st race to watch but a misappropriation of my time this morning screwed me out of that. But I did have a nice breakfast with my family.

At least I had a nice day riding yesterday after trying to kill myself. Not sure how many of you take short cuts like me but I laid my 640 on it's side to work on the starter clutch. On the ride yesterday my front brake which felt mushy, totally went away, I was caught off-guard, failing to make a blind turn and slid broadside into a guardrail. No damages to bike or body. The reservoir was half full and an experiment with the line resulted in me purging air from it. Evidently while laying on it's side over night, air got into the brake line.

The rest of the day was fabulous
  19. BOB RAMSAY

Oddometer:

just a little ribbon - maybe a pink one!

You know what happens when you wear a pink ribbon amongst the wimmen folk? - you usually start getting some casual 'brushes' for all of your interest in 'the cure', usually on or about the (your) elbows and upper arms. For some reason, you can touch'em with your elbows, they frown upon the grasping hands!
  20. mgorman

Oddometer:
    Any of you know someone who collects old oil cans or cans of oil?

I have a couple cardboard cans in my garage, still full of what oil hasn't seeped through the cardboard over the past 40 or so years.

I think one is transmission fluid and the other motor oil