Guitar thread

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by rajflyboy, Jan 31, 2010.

1. Jeffy

Jeffy Hmm...

Oddometer:
    It would probably sound pretty sweet with some SD Pearly Gates but that's about $200 for both pups. Or you could do SH-1's which are like the old PAF's for $130. Should give it a more blues/rock sound. :strum

I looked a lot into mods when I was thinking about getting a more stripped LP or even an Epi LP. I ended up just saving and getting the Standard where I wouldn't have to touch anything.
  2. Josephvman

Josephvman I'm the Decider Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm still waiting on my 50th Anniversary Jeff Tweedy SG from Sweetwater, but I'm going to tour the Collings Guitar factory in Austin on my birthday weekend at the end of the month, and I've been lusting after a Collings City Limits (their LP). It would be the most expensive guitar I've ever bought (around $4500), but less than most of the Gibson Custom Shop LP's and made better than any of those I've ever seen. If I pop for the City Limits I'll probably sell my recently acquired goldtop 60's Reissue Les Paul Studio, and probably pass on the SG. The Collings 290 I just got is just unbelievable, and I'd love to have the City Limits too.

[​IMG]

3. Klay

Klay dreaming adventurer

Oddometer:
    Quit talking about new guitars. We don't need any more new guitars around here.
  4. thunderkat59

thunderkat59 Old cooter on a slow scooter

Oddometer:
    After a few misfires trying to buy a suitable Gibson, I needed something with short scale,
    scorching humbuckers. This is what I got. I think Squier is by far and away the best
    bang for buck going right now. Not buttery sex smooth like a Gibson, but real thin
    70's style tele profile neck and for a fifth of the price. Not bad.
    :beer

[​IMG]
  5. Hayduke

Hayduke ///SAFETY THIRD/// Supporter

Oddometer:
    :lol3
  6. Jeffy

Jeffy Hmm...

Oddometer:
    The Reissue Custom Shops are really nice though. The Reissue VOS 1958 and the Guitar Center Exclusive VOS 1960 are really nice and a lot less then many of the other Reissues and Signature series. I saw the Guitar Center 1960 for $3599 and it was really nice. I like the aged hardware and hand-rubbed finish. They had a used one for $2300-ish as well.

I've heard good thing about the Squier Tele Classic Vibe Custom. Wish it came in other colors though. I'm not really a Fender guy but the Tele is a nice guitar. $399 is a really good price too.
  7. thunderkat59

Oddometer:
    I have a Tele Classic Vibe with P90's. Another very nice guitar.

For my Gibson, Im going to just hold out til I can get the Les Paul I really want.
    Not going to waste time on anything else, again. After the excitement of pulling
    my own, brand new Gibson out of the box faded, the budget SG I just bought was
    an inexcusably poorly finished guitar. Not going through that again.
    Gibsons new business model is not one I approve of at all, but thats for another thread . . .
  8. assquatch20

assquatch20 Long timer

Oddometer:
  9. Nadgett

Nadgett Obnoxious, dimwitted blowhard

Oddometer:
    I just bought this:

[​IMG]

and am waiting for delivery. Never had a Ric before.
  10. Josephvman

Josephvman I'm the Decider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Congrats! I've never owned one either, but one day...Post pics when you get it!

11. Jeffy

Jeffy Hmm...

Oddometer:
    Has that sort of over-inflated look to it. :lol3 Looks to be in nice shape.
  12. thunderkat59

Oddometer:
    I will be interested to hear your opinion of it. I think a 620 is in my future if I can find the right one.
    If you can post about sound, neck etc after you play it for a while, most appreciated ! :thumb

13. jdgretz

jdgretz Looking for new places Supporter

Oddometer:
    Canoga Park - A great place to live work and shop
    If that guy plays half as nicely as the 360/12, you'll love it. Our 360/12 plays so easily it's hard to believe it's really a 12-string. And nothing sounds quite like a Rickenbacker.

Enjoy,

jdg
  14. 68deluxe

68deluxe Long timer

Oddometer:
    I found a new R8 at GC for around $2400 last year. They also had a scratch and dent sale on some R9/R0's but the cheapest one was over $3K and most did not have the case and/or the certificate.
  15. DangerMoney

DangerMoney Loud Helmets Save Lives

Oddometer:
    Jeff Beck, Foo Fighters & Mick Jagger on Saturday Night Live tonight.
  16. Jeffy

Jeffy Hmm...

Oddometer:
    I'd love a R9 or a G0. I wouldn't have gotten it instead of my Standard though. I really love this thing. It's a beauty and the Standard in HCSB is my Grail. I'd like to get a Traditional Plus or a R9 later on. That would be the cherry on top.
  17. Klay

Klay dreaming adventurer

Oddometer:
    Some of the boys have been talking about puttin' the band back together. I'm pretty clumsy with the electric guitar, but I found that wearing my sunglasses, in the dark, with a half a pack of cigarettes, seems to help.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/YHa_jqxnn4o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  18. Jeffy

Jeffy Hmm...

Oddometer:
    Anyone have an opinion on speakers? Specifically the Celestion G12 Greenback, Vintage 30 and a Warehouse Guitar Speaker Veteran 30.

I'm thinking about replacing my Celestion G10N-40. I'm looking for a warmer classic rock sound.
  19. crazydrummerdude

crazydrummerdude Wacky Bongo Boy

Oddometer:
    I have Vintage 30s and Greenbacks crossed in my Marshall. Sounds awesome.
  20. Jeffy

Jeffy Hmm...

Oddometer:
    I'm wanting to put one in my Blackstar HT-5. Only problem is it's cramp in the cabinet and I think I'll have to move a power tube and OPT so there's enough room to clear the magnet. I've been on the BS forums as well as mylespaul trying to get more information on what needs to be done but it's an uphill battle. The easy way would be to use a G10H instead of the G12H but I want more lows.

Who was it who bought a HT-5 here? Was it a Combo? I need some pictures and maybe a few measurements if you're atill around.