Weatherproof USB Power Ports

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by Shov3BR, Nov 6, 2010.

1. Shov3BR

Shov3BR Tinkerer

Oddometer:
    Hmmm... got to think about this one a bit.

Our new TAPP 2.1A USB power port will handle the load but making the connections would require a USB hub of some sort. We usually don't recommend using a hub for two reasons: 1st, many users don't calculate their power budget correctly (or at all) so they don't know if their power load falls within the 2.1A max. Secondly, a hub can't be made weatherproof without a lot of ugliness.

We made a couple of our TAPP+ high output USB ports into what we called TAPP Hydra. Rather than having a single USB socket we pulled three USB pigtail out of the case opening. The socket end of the pigtails was just the right size to mate with a TAPP CAPP to create a weatherproof seal. This configuration didn't draw much interest so we never made a production run. I'll look to see if we have any more PCBAs left. If so, would you be interested in trying one out? We should have some pics somewhere. If I can find one I'll post it.
    -Shov
  2. regnock

regnock WunderLINQ Developer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sure I'd give it a try. Let me know. Thanks.
  3. Low594

Low594 Adventuring Creep

Oddometer:
    What I was planning to do for myself in this situation was to buy a few USB extension cables. Hack them up and splice back together in the length I needed. With some heatshrink tubing and your waterproofing caps, they would be quite water resistant. And for my intended use, it and the components being powered would be removed to a waterproof bag or in my jacket.

Is there a date of availability on the 2.1A? Do you have a price set for it?

I'm thinking, since I have yet to install the 1A, maybe I should upgrade to the 2.1A.
  4. Shov3BR

Shov3BR Tinkerer

Oddometer:
    That would work. Just be careful of your power budget. An Android phone will pull 1.2A if it is available. TAPP will actually output 2.75A if derated to 40°C. Our normal spec ratings for USB power ports is 50°C.

We found some USB extension pigtails that had a socket end that was just about a perfect fit for TAPP CAPPs. I'll have a look to see if I can find it again. Our cable supplier said they can make them whatever size we want but minimum order is 1,000 cables so we have to be sure we have a market for them.

TAPP will be priced at $44.95 for both the Universal Mount and Panel Mount. They will be available in early April if we get the two long lead PCBA components that are holding up the parade right now. The tooling for the overmold is finished and we have 25 of each of the two versions that were run on that production tooling. We are quite pleased with the results. We'll get some pics and specs on line soon.

Cheers - Shov
  5. regnock

regnock WunderLINQ Developer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just wondering if you were still looking into this? Thanks for any help.
  6. Shov3BR

Shov3BR Tinkerer

Oddometer:
    Sorry for the tardy response. I've been working night and day getting our KTM 990 ready for a big ride from London to Magadan.
    I did find some bare PCBs with the holes for three USB pigtails but no stuffed ones. It will probably be more expedient to try Low594's idea of doing it with cables. We'll order some extension cables that can be cut up for the assembly
    BTW - we are on schedule for early April shipping of the TAPP 2.1A USB power ports in both panel mount and universal mount versions. Pics, specs and descriptions to be available soon!
  7. Lisha

Lisha n00b

Oddometer:
    Have you seen this new thing that's about the size of a cigarette lighter with an SAE connector on one end that goes on your charging cable and has a USB on the other end?
    :rofl It's on AmericanCrossroaders.com
  8. Low594

Low594 Adventuring Creep

Oddometer:
    Your title "noob", is accurate! Did you make this account just to spam someone elses thread with your own product?:puke1
  9. genghis9021

genghis9021 Arak Connoisseur

Oddometer:
    You're so . . . suspicious.

Li Sha ? AmericanCrossroaders (only a non-native speaker of English could contrive such a name).
  10. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the replacement TAPP-capped connector cable Don - its working like a charm, & I think we finally confirmed that gremlin. I'll keep an eye on it to see if the original was just a dud or if the installation caused the failure.

KTM LC4 vibes + AquaBox wire routing or my thru-dash wire routing may be at fault...
  11. mikeb53

mikeb53 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Spam or not, the thing is legit. Got one and it works great.
  12. Low594

Low594 Adventuring Creep

Oddometer:
    Thats fine, its still inappropriate to spam someones elses legit thread!
  13. bikyto

bikyto Dans le doute...gaz!

Oddometer:
    +1
  14. Shov3BR

Shov3BR Tinkerer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the support guys.
    We looked at the device and it has some nice features but suffers the same disadvantage as most other USB power ports - no weather protection when a cable is plugged in. In fact it has no weather protection at all that we can see. Also, no mounting bracket.
    That doesn't mean it doesn't have it's place. Just keep it out of the rain and other mud/water situations.

As some of you know I'm on a ride from London to Magadan and it rained for the first twelve days straight! Needless to say I was happy that my Spot tracker and video camera were plugged into weatherproof USB connections.
    If you are wondering how I'm powering the Spot from USB have a look at the Spot thread where you will see my mods to convert from battery to USB.
    Cheers,
    Don (Shov)
  15. KCDakar

KCDakar What are we waiting for?

Oddometer:
    So please tell us, will you be making more of these for sale? I have the older spot and would LOVE to have this setup for both my Spot and my POV camera. :ear
  16. Fire Escape

Fire Escape Long timer

Oddometer:
    At the beginning of the week, I hadn't heard of these Power Ports. Today two of them and a Tapp Capp were already in my mail box. They look well made and especially well thought out. The proof will of course be in how well they work but for the first time since learning that DeLorme no longer offered mobile power cords, I have some confidence that my PN-60 may become more than a 'desk ornament'.

Bruce
  17. Shov3BR

Shov3BR Tinkerer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the bump. If you have a chance we would love to see pics of your install.
    -D
  18. satur9

satur9 angry black guy

Oddometer:
    i had them custom make me one that plugs into my coax/barrel/baryl or whatever most people call them heated gear battery harnesses i have on my bikes. works great.adn thier version of the heated gear plugs are covered so with a tapp capped cable youre weatherproof
  19. killowatt

killowatt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    How about one of these with a SAE two pole connector. Say 12" long. This could connect to the plug I have already installed for my battery tender mounted near the head set. I already have an SAE to cigar lighter with a 12" whip that works well in the tank bag. It seems that going straight to USB would help eliminate a problematic loose connection point.
  20. CA Stu

CA Stu Peace and Love

Oddometer:
    Do the TAPP lite USB power ports use any power when wired directly to an always hot auxiliary power wire on the wiring harness?

Any parasitic loss?

Thanks
    CA Stu