Tiger 800 panniers ?

Discussion in 'Triumph Tigers' started by jphish, Jul 17, 2011.

1. Rick West

Rick West Function not Farkles

Oddometer:
    About three weeks ago I ordered the Jesses and received them 10 days later. They were in stock and Rick shipped them out the next day.

They were to only ones that I have seen for the 800 that I would even consider owning.

Very pleased with them and the fast shipping from Rick.
  2. Mercury264

Mercury264 Once you go Triple...

Oddometer:
    Damn that rack looks even worse in a spill :huh Maybe it would b e OK since it's tucked in a little more but that just doesn't look safe to me....as ever, YMMV
  3. fxrjon

fxrjon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I picked up the pelican cases from Caribou and love them. Just the right size for me, although the could be a little tighter to the frame as I ended up clipping a mirror while splitting lanes the other morning (heh...barely scuffed the bags too).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  4. vwdrvr66

vwdrvr66 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just installed these......

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  5. Yossarian™

Yossarian™ Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer:
    Having the SW Motech quick release racks and Alu rack on my ZZR, I decided right away to get the Alu rack for the Tiger also; makes it an easy thing to move the top case between bikes. I'm leaning towards the quick release side racks also, even though my ZZR bags are paint matched and really not adventure cases, the racks allow for lots of options as far as bags go.
  6. Yossarian™

Oddometer:
    The SW Motech racks can be ordered with Givi mounts. That's how I'm leaning.
  7. Yossarian™

Oddometer:
    Could you add a straight-on from the rear photo of the cases mounted?

Please?
  8. Shep

Shep Vagabond Supporter

Oddometer:
    My Touratech Zega Pro panniers showed up today and I've had my tailbox for a couple weeks. I started to install the panniers tonight but a storm blew through and halted my progress for the night. I will install them tomorrow evening and post some photos.

Shep
  9. neparider

neparider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Can any of you FF's tell me if the SWMotech racks will have a set of Pelicans symmetrical on the XC? I see on TT's site that they show Two different capacities boxes to allow for the Exhaust side (smaller)?

Any body have a tail pic with the Pelicans/Caribou with SWMotech?

Tim
  10. bretedge

bretedge Do Epic Shit

Oddometer:
    I've had Hepco & Becker Xplorers on my Tiger for 2 months, 2,100 miles and 2 get offs. Well built, easy to install and they provide plenty of room for my gear on multi-day trips. They're sharp looking, too. I like the look of the anodized black Zega Pro's but they're $700 more than the Xplorers.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  11. etyson

etyson Adventurer

Oddometer:

I was thinking about the HT SU racks with 1450 pelicans for a compact form factor around town. Small storage plus a place to put my armored jacket, gloves, etc.

Then, what I really need is a 2" thick top box that expands like an accordion to one-foot tall box to accommodate a helmet when I'm stopped.......
  12. gallowaystx

gallowaystx Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    +1 to that!
  13. SpecialAgentNancy

SpecialAgentNancy & your little dog 2!

Oddometer:
    Been reading this thread, saw at the beginning that someone mentioned they have ortlieb soft saddle bags, so do I.
    I don't use hard panniers ever (I guess I don't pack that much even on my month long trips through Europe) anyhoo....having a hard time figuring out which rack option is best.

1. I will never use hard cases, only my ortlieb soft bags
    2. I need an inexpensive rack to get the exhaust bag away so it won't burn/melt
    3. I want a rack that has a bar across the back so that if I do go down, it won't bend in
    4. I don't care how pretty it looks, I'm going for cheap but strong

I've looked at Caribou, Happy Trails and Touratech.

Want to stay under $300

Advice with links to the frames only would be ideal thanks...some abbreviations on manufacturers had me spending way too much time on google
  14. MisterPX

MisterPX Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Maybe make your own? This frame setup, 3/4 steel square tubing, basically two rectangles with support arms, and crossbar, ran less than $15 in stock, plus bolts/nuts.

[​IMG]
  15. fbj913

fbj913 Adventure Aficionado

Oddometer:
    Happy Trails gets my vote.
  16. Bad-Tat

Bad-Tat 800 XC

Oddometer:
    Tourtech 35L bags. Kept the ones from my Dakar. The right side hangs out there a bit but can't split lanes anywhere on the East Coast so not much of an issue.
  17. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm seriously thinking Ortlieb as well. Is the only reason you want a rack is to keep the bag off the exhaust? If so, how about this?
  18. wiskee

wiskee Adventurer

Oddometer:
    After much hand-wringing, I ended up with the Touratech Zegas. So far, works great. I opted for the standard bags (not the cut away on the muffler) with 38l/45l boxes which have a pretty symmetrical feel. I haven't had much off-road use, but on the freeway, there isn't much problem with wind, etc.
  19. SpecialAgentNancy

SpecialAgentNancy & your little dog 2!

Oddometer:
    already got a heat shield and its not enough
  20. jphish

jphish Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have the Ortlieb soft bags & 38L zega pros. The HT symetrical rack (same width both sides) work fine for either. Havent "crash" tested yet - but sure 'beta' test will come in due course. Zegas for fishing / camping trips - Ortlieb for just dirt fun. Soft bags just arent sufficient volume for all the gear I schlep (copious quantities of food, waders, boots, fly rods, reels, 4 flyboxes, tent, sleeping bag etc etc. for camping & fishing. But OK for just one or the other & great otherwise. Also use 70L sealine bag for 'topper' over side cases - looks like the Clampets coming to town.