Burgman 400 Skelly,Naked, Stripper

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by johnyrrr, Sep 7, 2012.

1. johnyrrr

johnyrrr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Im waiting to get my 07 Burgman 400 I bought crashed up in the front, It was a Salvage bargin and I really dont want to replace the expensive plastic panels. Anybody ever strip the panels on of these and make a naked bike. I Hate the huge back end and really dont like the big ass front end either but I am excited about having a 400. My Zuma 125 all hopped up was still too slow for our roads here and was a major dissapointment. So I am excited about the Burgs power but hate the size and the looks, so I wanted to know if anyone has any info or pics of a panelless Burgman. I love ruckus look and am going to try and adapt the 2 front light style and flat ruckus seat to the bike but would love any input from those who done it. I cant find anyone whose done a skelly type burgman, only 150 and 250 Elites from the 80's. My wife has a Zuma 50 and theres a guy who adapted a Burg400 to a Zuma over on Zumaforums that was truely awsome but Im really not looking to splice in the whole wire harness and computor to a Zuma or Ruckus though I do like that size scooter way better. I dont mind cutting the frame of the burgman down here and there to make stuff work but thats as far as the fabbing skills are going to take me. Any thoughts guys?
  2. dijical

dijical Adventurer

Oddometer:
  3. johnyrrr

Oddometer:
    Almost forgot Ill have to hide those radiators too:cry
  4. knucklehead90

knucklehead90 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a cool project.
  5. johnyrrr

Oddometer:
    I got her Saturday, man the torque is so cool but what a slug taking off. I swear my wifes Zuma 50 might take this to 30 . Once it gets moving though its nice Nothing a little roller and clutch work shouldnt fix. Holy school busses is this this HUGE. Im not sure where to start its just so BIG. Anyway here how she arrived from the shipper. lotsa broken plastic but fram, forks and running gear are fine:D
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][/IMG]
  6. InlineSkate

InlineSkate Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just an opinion but it seems like it would be worth the expense just replacing the plastic up front. I mean the rest of the bike looks fine. Just seems like a waste to strip it all off.

Either way was just my 2c. Good luck! :D
  7. johnyrrr

Oddometer:
    I would have to spend soo much to replace all this tupperware it just is too prohibative for me. Hell a used speedo is $350 on Ebay. I think that is why so many insurance companies total these things out cause the damn plastic is so involved and pricy, Anyway I got a ton of stuff stripped off the front and just have to find a way to hide all the wiring and computer stuff. Once you take all that plastic off its so much smaller in the front I kind of like smaller type scooters. I probably stripped 50 lbs of tupperware off last nite:evil

8. maddiedog

maddiedog In dog we trust

Oddometer:
    Looks like fun. With enough chopping off of the metal tabs that support the body panel and good wiring concealment, you'll probably end up with something that looks kinda like a Big Ruckus:

[​IMG]

My first big bike (after a 50cc Honda Met and a Chinese POS dirt bike) was a Honda Reflex with a totalled front end. I replaced the forks, front rim, front steering bearings, handlebars, and all the plastics. Good luck with your build!
  9. johnyrrr

Oddometer:
    Thats my plan exactly, except with a 400cc and 1/4 of the price. It wont be as cool as a big ruckus at all but way cheaper.
    [​IMG]

10. TomN

TomN Long timer

Oddometer:
    This I got to see!
  11. johnyrrr

Oddometer:
    getting closer, way pain in the butt to get all this plastic off:cry
    [​IMG]
  12. =retread=

=retread= freedom loving USA

Oddometer:
    paint the front fender black and put a headlight and speedo on it and your good to go !!!
  13. Bar None

Bar None Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    johnrrr,
    Very interesting project. A big ruckus with 400ccs. I wonder if a naked 400cc scooter would sell here in the USA. I assume that the BR didn't sell so Honda gave up on it like Kawasaki did with my W650 which BTW is an excellent and simple motorcycle. Who needs all that plastic?
  14. johnyrrr

Oddometer:
    I love those triumph Kawis. I like the big ruckus but dang do they cost. I lov the burgers power and brakes but all the bulbous plastic is hideous. I got a bunch of ruckus parts coming for the burger

15. tonymorr

tonymorr Malta,NY(Saratoga Spring)

Oddometer:
    What happened to this project? Any current pics?
  16. johnyrrr

Oddometer:
    I just got it back on the road, about 500 miles on this so far. Its pretty fun but not done yet. Put some 16gm sliders in it and it moves very nicely now. I have a Ruckus back end for it but I must admit I really like being able to put a 30pack or two helmets under the seat, so it just might stay the way it is for a while.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  17. scooterryder

scooterryder Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have to tell you, I really like the looks of what you have done with that machine. The only thing I would want is an instrument pod with a full set of gauges, but not sure it would be worth the extra time to engineer one. I also thing it would look kind of goofy with the big front fairing and the rear being naked.

I used to think I wanted a used machine that was "perfect" as far as body work goes, but your project has me thinking.
  18. tonymorr

tonymorr Malta,NY(Saratoga Spring)

Oddometer:
    Cool.

Researching "stripped burgman 400" is actually how I found this thread. I was thinking about finding one of these to play with. I have some ideas floating around in my head. I hope you don't mind if I share them. Again, these are ideas for my project.

The front portion of the seat looks pretty ideal and I think it covers the airbox. I never have a passenger so I was thinking about leaving the front part of the seat (back to the backrest portion). Cut the back part of the frame down to the solid horizontal rail and mount a sizable Pelican case. Then mount a backrest to the front of it for back support. Get (or make) some Big Ruckus style floor boards.

I would basically like a Big Ruckus that had the Burgman 400 drivetrain/suspension/brakes.
  19. johnyrrr

Oddometer:
    Even if you don't have a passenger it's nice to have that storage under the monstrous seat. It's ugly but it's huge. I'm not done with it, I just wanted to get it on the road so I guess it's a work in progress. I love the power compared to my Zuma 155

20. MiniBike

MiniBike Still here...

Oddometer:
    I'd wrap some flat black painted wire mesh around that entire underseat area (use some quality S/S fasterners to highlight it), then shoot the back half of the front fender black and call it a day.

I'm impressed!