Happy Trails vs. SW-Motech Crash Bars?

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by franklinmanklin, Mar 14, 2013.

?

Which Crash Bars?

1. SW-Motech

2. Happy Trails

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. franklinmanklin

franklinmanklin Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am sure that this horse has been beat. Maybe you could direct me. I am very new to the KLR community and want to make an informed decision. What brand is better and why? 2009 owner here.
  2. franklinmanklin

Oddometer:
    Bueler?
  3. WildmanSam

WildmanSam Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    well it has been discussed... on every forum... 1000 times. but you're a special snowflake that needs his own thread, i understand. :rofl

HT: cheaper (i think?) and more prone to bend when laid down. also uses the motor mount which i'm not crazy about... my bike falls a lot and i've had to remove and reinstall my HT bars more than i can count.

motech: more expensive (right?) larger diameter tubing, stronger mounting points. more prone to vibrations so i've heard. i think the newest model remedies that issue though.

if i could go back in time i'd buy motechs over the HT. i'm really not impressed with anything i've bought from them except the skid plate which is nice.
  4. redneckdan

redneckdan Hold my beer & watch this

Oddometer:
    I have the HTs that the PO put on. I am completely satisfied. I have taken several very hard falls and no problems. I have had to bend them back a little bit on occasion.
  5. franklinmanklin

Oddometer:
    That's funny rat dare!

I have done dozens of searches, both Google and on all 4 forums. All I can find is Givi vs Motech and limited information. Your post is about as good as I have found.
  6. MtnRider

MtnRider Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I got the SW's on a scratch dent sale from Twisted Throttle and they look very stout (not mounted yet) but I would also suggest the subframe bolt upgrade kit as well if you go this route.
  7. KickStart1

KickStart1 Lurking,with intent

Oddometer:
    Marshall,Minnesota Scandinavian Prairie Ghetto :)
    Use which ever you decide,as long as you have some form of Crash guard.Part's get expense,when you start dropping the bike at random. I have the HT paris-dakar's and are good,but am sure there is or will be better.I am going for some Pack Rat rack's in the rear for pannier's,but also they are very HD enough to use as rear crash guard's,when running no bag's or can's.:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
  8. franklinmanklin

Oddometer:
    bembe user is good to go!
  9. Jim patton

Jim patton Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Is the place. Best KLR gurus are there. I have SW Motech. They are
    Heavier built. I do like happytrails products and have purchased many
    Items there.
  10. doogiepooch

doogiepooch Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah as others have said doesn't really matter, as long as you have something. It's not if you drop this bike, it's when. I personally like SW's I think they are more modern looking and flow with the lines of the bike better whether you are talking about 07 down or 08 up, I've had both. My 12 has them on it and its been driveway dropped twice on both sides with barely even a scratch on the bars. My 88 had them on it and I did a gyroscopic throw down (my term for leaned one way and then thrown completely the other way) at about 30 mph and it hurt....me. Bike was fine aside from a mirror. I'd also recommend a stronger set of bars like protaper or other. Aside from your fairings the next thing to hit is going to be your bars, some good lever guards and strong bars and you virtually can't hurt a KLR dropping it.
  11. Bustyrucket

Bustyrucket Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Givi
  12. Chaos-in-MT

Chaos-in-MT OK lets GO!

Oddometer:
    I have Givi they are OK and ave saved the farrings many times. The only problem I had is they broke my foot! I stoped at the bottom of a hill put my foot down on a lose softball sized rock and rolled my ankle, then the bike fell on it and the Givis broke the bones that run on the top of my foot. High sprain and broken foot but the fairings were good:evil
  13. reg26

reg26 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Can the tank and plastic body parts be removed without the removal of the crash bars on either the SW's or the HT's ?
  14. darylnj

darylnj Adventurer

Oddometer:
    givi bars and yes the side covers can be removed

Attached Files: