MotoGP: Middle of Nowhere, Japan (Time-Delayed Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Racing' started by yooperbikemike, Oct 9, 2012.

1. 8703

8703 message in a bottle

Oddometer:
    Why blame Dorna? It's the same for everyone ... this is a crew error - plain and simple. :dunno
  2. wmfleet2

wmfleet2 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Fuck the bastard that figured Cal's fuel load.
    Surely Cal wanted more fuel than he received.
    God damn it!!!!!
    Yea what you said ,,,sucks,!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  3. BeeCeeGS

BeeCeeGS WeaponOfMassDestruction

Oddometer:
    Cal probably wanted more fuel than everyone else received. :lol3

He would have started with a full fuel load at this track--he was concerned about fuel consumption before the race.
  4. Shawnee Bill

Shawnee Bill Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    He was just wasteing fuel doing wheelies on the previous lap :deal

:hide

5. maloosik

maloosik Squishimus Squidimus

Oddometer:
    Ben Spies' data says one thing, he says another. Data doesn't .... mince words?

W..T...F ?
  6. craigincali

craigincali I'll try it.

Oddometer:
    If his brakes worked do you really think he would have hit the wall?
  7. 8703

8703 message in a bottle

Oddometer:
    Let's just sum up Ben's season, shall we?

:permazot
  8. maloosik

maloosik Squishimus Squidimus

Oddometer:
    What is this wall-hitting you speak of?

I missed the first five laps so I am in the dark about this, and no mention of it in the post race interviews...thus my inquiry.
  9. chollo9

chollo9 Screwed the Pooch

Oddometer:
    Went off (straight off) in six, I think, bounced through the trap, almost got stopped, hit wall, fell over.
  10. BeeCeeGS

BeeCeeGS WeaponOfMassDestruction

Oddometer:
    I think they mentioned the data to rule out another reason (maybe braked much later, was carrying more speed, etc.)
  11. HoneyBunz

HoneyBunz Long timer

Oddometer:
    Dorna puts fuel limits on the MotoGP bikes to slow them down in order to make the CRT POS bikes appear competitive.
    That cocksucker Ezpeleta can't get it through his fucking head that racing is a speed contest, not a fuel efficiency contest.
    MotoGP is over, but Dorna has figured out a way to milk it for a while longer before the whole thing collapses.
    The fuel limit backfired. Instead of making the race more competitive, it killed the threat of competition to any of the front runners.
    Greedy bastards and fucking idiots are running the show.
    Hasta la vista.
  12. jktpa

jktpa X-Troller

Oddometer:
    they had fuel limits long before CRT
  13. ktmgeoff

ktmgeoff Remember it's not a race!

Oddometer:
    Western Creek Tasmania ( sold the farmand moved)
    Nah the answers simpler than that.........the mechanics knew he wouldn't finish the race.......that he'd fall off and waste fuel......sooo only gave him a few litres of fuel which = much lighter and faster bike, him being unaware of this gets to the corner much faster than usual.........and.......well you know the rest....:lol3
  14. sailor22

sailor22 Jay Pegg pusher

Oddometer:
    The fuel limits are in place at the instigation of the manufacturers.
    To justify the giant racing budgets they need to show something is being learned that applies to street bikes. Exploration of the interplay between electronics and fuel consumption in performance machinery is something that justifies those budgets.

Your anger at Dorna regarding this one is misplaced.
  15. Mr.Goose

Mr.Goose Velvet Steamroller

Oddometer:
    LOVED the video coverage of the glowing hot rotor that they freeze framed and enlarged - so cool to see that.:clap
  16. Lurky-Loo

Lurky-Loo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    But Ezpeleta provides such a convenient scapegoat; and his name sound furrin.
  17. ErikY.

ErikY. Here, Now.

Oddometer:
    That anger will eat you up man.
  18. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    +1
    Is there a major auto or moto racing series that does not have a fuel limit. I'm all for reasonable fuel limits as it helps develop the technology for more fuel efficient road vehicles.

As mentioned earlier, Cals bike would have been topped off just like everyone else. His riding style just must use more fuel.
  19. Kropotkin

Kropotkin Big Girl's Blouse Supporter

Oddometer:

The fuel limits were pushed through by the MSMA, the Motorcycle Sports Manufacturers Association, at the request of Honda. Dorna protested, saying that they did not think it was a good idea, but Dorna were powerless. Under the contract signed with the MSMA collectively, the manufacturers had a monopoly over the technical rules. Any rule the MSMA proposed would go through automatically. That includes rules such as the 21 liter fuel limit, the switch to 800cc, the engine limits (6, which they want to reduce to 5).

I asked Nakamoto once how Honda would feel about a change to the fuel limit. He looked at me as if I had just offered to sleep with his grandmother. The fuel limits mean that the factories get to work on fuel delivery at part throttle openings, which, they claim, helps them develop better throttle response for their road bikes.

Now, blame Ezpeleta for the chronic lack of money in the series, the fact that they prefer to keep chronically poor teams in the series rather than rich, well-funded ones, and Dorna's propensity to persuade sponsors to leave teams and sponsor races. But Dorna has little to do with the technical rules so far. The rules they have imposed are the 81mm bore and maximum of 4 cylinders. They did this because they couldn't persuade the manufacturers to accept a rev limit.

All that changed when the agreement with the MSMA ran out at the end of 2011. Right now, the MSMA has the same influence over the technical regulations as Dorna does: they have one vote in the Grand Prix Commission, which consists of the MSMA, Dorna, the FIM and IRTA (teams). Now, Dorna can propose rule changes if the teams support them.

The current proposal for a spec ECU comes from Dorna, and would come with an increase of fuel to 24 liters (that didn't stop Petrucci from running out of fuel, however). Honda are threatening to quit over the spec ECU. The rev limit they can accept (just) but a spec ECU negates their ability to gain a competitive advantage merely by outspending the other factories.

One final little story about the MSMA and their amazing technical competence. Dorna asked the factories to come up with ways of saving money, and more especially, cutting the lease price of a satellite bike back to around a million dollars. The factories found it difficult, and eventually proposed adopting a single bike rule, as WSBK, Moto2 and Moto3 has. Dorna thanked them kindly and said they would submit a proposal to the Grand Prix Commission. Shortly before the GPC meeting, an MSMA representative had a meeting with IRTA and asked them urgently to vote against the single bike rule. They didn't really want the rule, and didn't think it would save that much, but as they'd put it forward, they couldn't very well take it back again. So by asking IRTA to vote against it, they ensured that it would not be adopted. That is the level of competence we are talking about: getting other people to vote against their own proposals, because those proposals turn out to be stupid. I should add that I have this story from first hand, directly from one of the parties involved, and it was corroborated by a second source.
  20. 8703

8703 message in a bottle

Oddometer:
    The rest I got - this nugget I would like to hear more about ... :ear