The CRF250L Owners thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by joec63, Sep 4, 2012.

1. MentalGuru

MentalGuru Crazy Diamond

Oddometer:

I didn't know it was a secret... I was riding a MX60 in the snow back in the '70s. I was about 7 years old, nobody said it was a secret. It sure is fun. It's even more fun when it's about a foot deep. :1drink

:beer
  2. towman

towman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I had a DRC on my DRZ and another no-name non-DOT tail light on my XRL, got stopped by the LEO but they never even looked at those (in CA). Long as your licence plate is lit, you should be good.
  3. Tommyrg

Tommyrg Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well sat down with my manager today and asked about the fmf power fi we called, they said they were out of stock. Called the original development people(dobeck performance) got hooked up as a dealer for them and should have mine show up in 2 days here at the shop :evil
  4. Bob80

Bob80 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    WOW....thanks for that, I think..lol. 95 pages deep and no apparent solution to the problem from what I`ve skimmed threw. Looks like I`ll be busy reading threw it all. Exact same issue as described, with not much help from dealers or Honda for that matter. Good read for anyone that's interested (or bored) saves us (me) from going threw all the possibilities on here. I follow this thread quite frequently and am curious to see if anyone else on here is having this issue with the CRF250L or is mine the lone dud!! Love the bike and this Thread is great, just want to TRY and figure out this issue
  5. Ed@Ford

Ed@Ford Long timer

Oddometer:
    I read bits of it...one guy appears to have gotten a reduction in stalls by going to lower viscosity oil...and then theorized it was leanness effects and friction effects at idle......I wonder if ANYONE with a Dobek calibration modifier has richened up the idle and gotten rid of the stall issue...either with a 250R or 250L.....as I noticed JD Jetting sells their version of the Dobek product for 209$$.......if anyone knows it'd be Rick Ramsey!!
  6. callison

callison Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I didn't figure there would be an issue but I just don't have the time or gumption to deal with the hassle, just want to ride...

Cory
  7. bungie4

bungie4 Frostback

Oddometer:
    So the bike has been put away for about 3 weeks now. I'm going to have some wrenching to do in the spring :D

[​IMG]
    Seat Concepts Seat, Ricochet skid plate, Manrack with Rotopax mount, hour meter, 13T sprocket...
  8. bungie4

bungie4 Frostback

Oddometer:
    I've been lucky, I've got both a CBR and a CRFL. Neither one rattles or stalls. But, at times, they do give me a severe case of sore cheeks from smiling so much.
  9. Bob80

Bob80 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I was thinking the same thing about the Dobek and was planning on getting one in the future. Just worried about IF it doesn`t solve the issue, how will this affect my 1 year warranty. Bottom line, and a good point taken from that Thread is that it should be Honda`s problem to fix without us having to buy after-market solutions. My plan is to notify the dealer about the situation and go from there.....However, due to past experiences with this same dealer (we owned a 2006 civic, which was a POS to put it mildly!) we had a hard time getting any satisfaction out of them. We`ll see how the Honda Powerhouse department is. (All Hondas under one roof just different departments here in Canada) not sure if they do this in the US or elsewhere.

See the fella that started that tread with the initial problem, Honda actually offered him a brand-new bike or his money back, he took the money!!
  10. Tommyrg

Tommyrg Adventurer

Oddometer:
  11. Nesquik

Nesquik Long timer

Oddometer:
    This is the skidplate I intend to purchase

https://tciproductsusa.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=144_150_199&products_id=783

Extra protection...but not sure itll help that issue
  12. dsn11487

dsn11487 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What about axle sliders like super motos do.

http://www.google.com/search?q=skat...UKTGJsbNqQGFxYGQCw#biv=i|22;d|sqkXX4e805Tw3M:
  13. Guerillah

Guerillah Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Charcoal canister went bye bye, free'd up space on the backside of the engine, I can heat up some food behind there when im on the trails now. ha

[​IMG]
    Charcoal Canister Removed by Guerillah, on Flickr
    Singlespeed92 likes this.
  14. Bake

Bake adventurer

Oddometer:
    Alcohol in the fuel will make my F800ST stall repeatable , the stores often times jack up prices via adding more alcohol than is posted.
    One BMW shop told me they had drained out 30% alcohol from a service for stalling . My F800 BMW will stall easily with alcohol in the fuel, I avoid the stuff. Plain burned out a fuel pump @ 800 miles, changed to normal fuel, no problem @ 15,000 miles.
  15. MrFurious

MrFurious Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I seem to recall another EFI bike having the exact same problem. Early year FJR1300's maybe? Had something to do with the ECU programming and not sure if the manufacturer ever owned up to it and offered a fix or not.
  16. Red_dog

Red_dog Dirt Road Sniffer outerer

Oddometer:
    just mind the skidplate, mine didnt line up properly with the top holes, welding was good on it, but i didnt wanna go bending the tabs for the skidplate just incase i wanna put the old one back on, so i just fitted up the one bolt, and did it up tight as, havent had any dramas with it since. motor does run a bit warm but pfft, its watercooled, if it was aircooled i'd be worried.
  17. Ed@Ford

Ed@Ford Long timer

Oddometer:
  18. Ed@Ford

Ed@Ford Long timer

Oddometer:
    The latest issue of Motorcycle Consumer News had an article how to test your fuel for alcohol, and how to make it separate from the gasoline so you can remove it......maybe brew up 5 gallons of the stuff....or buy some alcohol free fuel (hard to find in some places)....then go out and ride and burn it up and TRY to make it stall......sure would do all CRF owners a favor to determine if that's the bad guy
  19. Vspec

Vspec Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Do you mind me asking how much you got hit with duty and taxes and where your ordered from? I am looking into a Manrack and skid plate.
  20. MentalGuru

MentalGuru Crazy Diamond

Oddometer:

So what octane was the fuel after removing the alcohol?

Alcohol is much higher octane of 120 or so.

Adding some toulene will bring the octane back up.

:beer