Follow me as i braaaap and cook around the world!!!!

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by crestedbutte-rtw, Oct 20, 2011.

1. crestedbutte-rtw

crestedbutte-rtw PRO SHORTBUS RIDER

Oddometer:
    I am headed down to BA to go to Dakar Moto´s to use there work area and help to figure out my oil problem.. Fingers crossed it´s super easy and simple.. Man that would be a nice Birthday Gift from the moto Gods..
  2. Shibby!

Shibby! Long timer

Oddometer:
    I applaud you in your ability to make decisions. I'm not good like that. Came into play a few times on my trip.
  3. up2nogood

up2nogood Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Man, I love this thread. Awesome trip, can't thank you enough for taking the time to share the experience. Awesome pics, too!

Help out the people from the countries we love to ride through:
    http://www.kiva.org/team/adventure_rider
  4. crestedbutte-rtw

Oddometer:

Thank you, that means alot!!!!
    Fletch
  5. crestedbutte-rtw

Oddometer:
    Just made it last night to Rosario, I was going to write and upload pictures today..... But then I realized it was my Birthday when I got some emails from my mom and dad haha time flys.... Instead I am going to walk around Rosario with some new friends, eat some Argentinian Steaks, and drink some beer.. Pics and Updates will come this weekend once I make it to my friends house in BA.. Thanks again for following... Fletch
  6. crestedbutte-rtw

Oddometer:
    I LOVE MY LIFE!!! HAHAHAHA
    TOO LOOK BACK TO SEE WHERE I WAS ONE YEAR AGO ON MY 27TH BRITHDAY AND MY LIFE AT THAT TIME, IS AWESOME!!

HERE IS A PICTURE OF MY LIFE NOW AT 28!!!! HAHAHA
    [​IMG]
  7. Shibby!

Shibby! Long timer

Oddometer:
    Awesome dude!

Happy B-day!

I'm a couple years older than you, but as I sit here at a desk with computer looking at blueprints I wish I was in S.A ripping it up. Even with a oil burning Kwaker =)

Enjoy the ride. Remember even the worst days are better than the daily grind, and worst case there are always buses. You can buy another bike in NZ or Australia (Yamaha Tenere?).

Giver shit!

I'm already thinking how I can do S.A in a few years. Save my peso's, build a bike, and then make a rip for the tip to get to S.A and enjoy it for 5-6 months. I'd be curious to see if you think your daily costs have come up, or down since arrival. I know I was under my costs in Mexico and felt I was doing alright. Lots of camping and street food but that didnt bother me.
  8. crestedbutte-rtw

Oddometer:
    DAY—318-319<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    9/16-17/2012<o:p></o:p>
    Laid in bed recovering and getting better and staying out of the sun! It has been 100 degrees with 47% Humidity!!!! This Mtn. Kid is dying!! Hahaha <o:p></o:p>
    <o:p> </o:p>
    DAY-320<o:p></o:p>
    9/18/2012<o:p></o:p>
    It’s go time let’s get the hell out of here!!! Wait what Dave you’re in the shower and your craps not packed… haha We finally got on the road and was headed into a gas station, I jumped a curb and made it into the station, Dave joined and said he wasn't supposed to turn there.. We filled up got ready and was there for at least ten minutes, we headed off into traffic, WOOP WOOP crap crap bike cop. He swung around me shaking his head and pulled Dave over I gave her gas and kept on going. While waiting up the road there was a disturbance and like 5 cops showed up, Dave finally showed up and saw me sitting with cops so he blasted past and just kept going haha… We finally caught up and he said the cop had seen him make an illegal turn into the gas station and sat and waited for him to come back out. The cop did not want to confront him in front of people since he wanted cash cash cash… So after some arguing and bringing the cop down from 400 dollars!!! To twenty he handed him a ten and the cop without looking put it in his pocket quickly so no one would see. Haha sucka. We got out of the city; bike is still crushing oil and smoking like a chimney.
    The clouds were getting darker and darker… I stopped for some pictures, although they did not come out well but you could see two different storms heading for each other exactly where I was headed. As soon as they met all hell broke loose, started to rain harder and harder, with the wind started blowing hard. I am guessing 60mph or so... Raining sideways and using all my strength to keep the bike on the road. After about 20 minutes of this and it was only getting worse we shot off the road into a guys covered patio on the side of the road. We waited for it to calm... The carport slowly started to fill with water and soon it was over ankle deep. We found out later; that in the area we were riding there were a few tornados, as well as in Paraguay, and Uruguay. haha crazy storms. <o:p></o:p>
    I said alright enough waiting around let’s get the hell out of here. Dave was not stoked to go back into the storm but it had chilled out quite a bit and it was getting late and we needed to find a place to camp for the night. We headed into a small town on the river called La Paz, we split up and I skipped the Camping area to head for the water. BADE IDEA!!! The mud was insane not to deep like 6 inches to a foot, but so slick like if you try just to walk it is like ice and you fall. So I made it to the water and the whole parking lot was like this ice mud. I turned around and was heading out when both tires slipped out and I laid her down. I couldn’t pick it up due to every time I tried the bike would just slide one way and my feet would slip out over and over again. I was solo no one in sight and was getting a little frustrated after 30 minutes of this haha. I finally saw a house and walked over, right away a nice guy walked out with his pants rolled up, no shoes, walked, and talked with me back to the bike. We got it up with a lot of slipping and sloshing and headed for grass. I didn’t have any money on me, so I gave him my small 5 dollar watch as a thank you for helping me and getting totally muddy for a stranger haha.<o:p></o:p>
    I found Dave and we headed into the Municipal camp ground, to find that the whole camping area was like the beach, crazy slick mud. We road on small strips of grass and decided to sleep under a picnic shelter without tents. We hung up our stuff to try and dry out some. All of my gear and bags worked well and kept everything dry during the gnarly storm. I busted out my little stove and cooked up some pasta and sauce, with some coke. We passed out but not much sleep crazy winds all night long, but the bikes were good and stable. <o:p></o:p>
    DAY-321<o:p></o:p>
    9/19/2012<o:p></o:p>
    We packed up and got on the road we only had 400km’s left to make it to Rosario where Dave’s friend said we could stay with her for a few days. It was windy all day, cold, and threatening to rain all day. It was a pretty straight road with some nice landscapes, massive fields covered in yellow flowers. We chose the most direct route that ran alongside the river all the way there. While I was getting gas and waiting for David to catch up, a guy from Venezuela rode up on a GS 1200 and we talked about where we were going and had been. Nice guy doing a 9 month ride around South America. The last section of the route was a 50km road through the wet lands crossing over the river to Rosario tons of little bridges such nice views and the weather cleared up and was nice and sunny. The last bridge was awesome you could see the whole outline of the city (nowhere to pull over for a pic). The bridge was awesome and huge. The past two days I have been adding oil like crazy like almost 1 quart ever 300km’s. We made our way to his friend’s house with plans to play a joke on her, but unfortunately she was not at home and had left a note for me to go to another address. David’s GPS took us about 15 miles in the wrong direction. We finally arrived just as she was walking out from work and our prank was ruined haha. We headed back to her house unloaded my bike and took Julie for a ride as we headed to her moms house where I could park my bike safely. We grabbed some take out and just relaxed for the night with some good wine. <o:p></o:p>
    DAY-322<o:p></o:p>
    9/20/2012<o:p></o:p>
    My dang ol 28<SUP>th</SUP> Birthday today. Woke up headed out to the supermarket to get some eggs for breakfast and it was cold and raining. Damn haha. So I grabbed eggs, cheese, bread, and a 1 liter of Budweiser (my first Bud in at least a year hahaha). The bud tasted weird made in Argentina but still nice to have some water down American beer on my birthday. Hung out for a while skyping friends and family. I headed out to the river and walked for a couple of hours just appreciating a nice relaxing day. I knew I was in for a good party this weekend with my friend Martin in Buenos Aires. We went out to dinner to an American guys place and it was nice, I had his micro brew and a chicken pot pie.

<o:p>[​IMG]</o:p>
    PARKING... BACK IT IN....
    [​IMG]
    BRIDGE OF CORRIENTES
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    COOL SKY'S
    [​IMG]
    THE FAM THAT TOOK US IN FOR LOOKING LIKE A BUM... HAHAHA
    [​IMG]
    HERE IT COMES
    [​IMG]
    WINDS PICKING UP
    [​IMG]
    HEADING RIGHT INTO IT!!!!
    [​IMG]
    SHEETS OF RAIN
    [​IMG]
    LETTING UP.. LETS RIDE!!!
    [​IMG]
    DAVE NEXT TO HIS LITTLE CHINESE BIKE...
    [​IMG]
    COOL ASS SKY
    [​IMG]
    LOOKING GOOD FOR 28!!!
    [​IMG]
    SLEEPY TIME!!!!!
    [​IMG]
    MESSING WITH THE DOPE COLORING AS WE RODE,
    [​IMG]
    LAST STRETCH UNTIL ROSARIO
    [​IMG]
    GETTING CLOSE
    [​IMG]
    I LOVE MY LIFE.
    [​IMG]
    GOTTA LOVE IT
    [​IMG]
    THUMBS UP FOR THE LIFE WE LIVE
    [​IMG]
    BLURRY BUT STILL A COOL SHOT
    [​IMG]
    LOOKS LIKE A PAINTING
    [​IMG]
    BOTH SIDES OF THE ROAD ARE INCREDIBLE WATER VIEWS
    [​IMG]
    DAVE HEADED FOR THE LAST BRIDGE GOING TO ROSARIO
  9. crestedbutte-rtw

Oddometer:
    BIG DECISIONS TO BE MADE IN THE NEXT DAY OR TWO.... Options..
    Spend alot of money and get the bike back in shape (go to Patagonia)- then decided to either go to Africa and keep with the original plan (but no Japan most likely won't have enough cash or Australia (won't be under thirty by then so now work visa)...
    Or Skip Africa for now and get my 6 month work visa and go to Australia for 8 month two months riding 6 months working.. Make enough money to go to Japan(wasn't in the original budget, but I really want to go) then to SE Asia and continue on the ride going backwards thus finishing in Cape Town..

Or some how sell my bike that worst case scenario needs a new topend and sleeve....(Will find out tomorrow) (no Patagonia :( ) Fly back to the states pick up a DR650 tear it down rebuild it to my likings (with the help of two very talented friends) and head for Cali then fly to Australia and work off all my expenses and keep on going with a little bit more cash in the bank (which is always nice). (Still going to Japan)

I know it probably sounds insane to you that I am thinking of selling my bike... But I have not been impressed or enjoyed the new KLR as much as I hoped I would.. I would rather a lighter weight bike.

Well that is what is going on in my head.... hahaha Thus I have a cup of whiskey in my hand as I type this... hahaha CHEEEERS!!! hahahaha

Well just keeping everyone in the loop ad of what is going on and what is happening in the my dang Ol' Head... hahaha

With this being my biggest problem I have in my Life at the moment; I would have to say I am damn lucky to get to live this life!!!!
    Fletch
  10. Shibby!

Shibby! Long timer

Oddometer:
    I suggest waiting for the news of it's condition. No point milling it over and not know all the variables. Enjoy tonight, wait for the news then put some serious thought into it.

I can tell you one thing, once you get back you'll be spending funds a lot faster than you have up till this point. COL in N.A is high.

Keep us informed. I think I'd do a DR650 or Xchallenge as my next bike. I like the DR for it's simplicity and reliability though.
  11. crestedbutte-rtw

Oddometer:
    Not milling over it brother still super stoked on the adventure of it all, just being realistic and weighing my options out in public.. no secret thoughts on this RR.. hahaha ..
    Just the facts.. bike is fucked.. Barely made it to my Mechanic friends shop... Got to look more into it in the morning.. but basically best case is that i just need new rings, rebuild back suspension, Worst case, needs new piston, new sleeve, rings, and Rebuild Suspension... and do the Valves...
    Down here none of that is cheap.. and since I am not in love with my bike instead of dumping shit ton of money into.... just weighing all my options that all brother..

Thanks for following on Quinn.. talk with you soon brother

Fletch
  12. Hessian42

Hessian42 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Epic!

Man hearing about your KLR experiences doesn't make me feel any better about taking my 99 down that way, but from my understanding the oil burners are the 08-09's. That's why i'm doing the doo hickey, adjusting valves and everything else i can think of and afford before i head out and taking a full tool kit and spares bag. she's only got 6k on the clock but when shit goes shit goes. Depending on the $$$$ of repair vs new bike If i were in your shoes i'd ditch it and find something else to finish the trip on, once you loose trust in a bike you know how it goes.

And dude you're going to japan? careful with the radioactive putang over there :rofl
  13. crestedbutte-rtw

Oddometer:
    Thanks man!!!

No older KLR you will be fine.. well at least all of the other guys on 2007 and earlier KLR's that I have met (which is all the klr's I met one other guy with an 09) they have not had any problems.. would suggest if you haven't to change your suspension springer to a beefier one to handle the weight and long haul.. Enjoy the ride homie!! can't wait to keep up with your RR.. If you have any questions hit me up..
    Fletch
  14. crestedbutte-rtw

Oddometer:
    DAY-323
    9/21/2012
    Ran around in the morning grabbing a few things and then packed up the bike very fast due to realizing I was going to be late to meet my friend in BA. The ride was all on a big highway and my bike felt like shit and was drinking oil like it was going out of style haha... Like more than a quart in 200km’s haha shit balls……. It is what it is.
    I made it just in time only 15 minutes late pretty much on time if not early considering I am on South American time. Haha Met up with Martin and walked into his friends (Memo) flat where I will stay for a few days. It is an incredible top floor three bedroom, three bathroom, massive Flat that is worth half million dollars, everything is white, walls, furniture’s, sheets, everything is white not the best place for a dirty mud and oil covered rider ahahaha… We ate some stuffed pork loins and had a few beers just hanging out. Memo threw out his back and has a slipped disc so he is not moving around much.

DAY-324
    9/22/2012
    Memo asked if I could take him to the pharmacy to by a cane, I got into his Mercedes and sitting in the driver sit with a foot on the break and foot on the gas I just started to laugh out loud.. I stated that this was weird and I had night driven a car in 11 months haha, he just laughed and told me do not wreck. He didn’t care about the car he said it because he didn’t want to be in an accident with his back so messed up already haha. I drove cautious until he told me to drive like a Argentinean haha which means there are no lines and blinkers, just give it gas and go they will move haha and well it worked.
    We had a few things to do and then headed out to pick up Martins 11 year old daughter and go watch some Polo matches. We went to a secret local BBQ joint for a lot of meat and a great cheap meal. We got lost trying to find the Polo match and ended up getting there late and only caught the last of it. We headed to Memo’s weekend house to get a bed for Martins new Apartment. We got back and took a siesta from 7pm to 10 pm… We then got ready and headed to Martins best friend’s house for a BBQ and then go out drinking. We got to this house and it was ridiculous massive three story flat that had a roof top patio where the Grill was overlooking the river and you could see the lights of Uruguay!!! We drank really nice wine and ate amazing beef that was right from Martins friends’ farm!!! So so good!! At 3am they said it was time to go…(home I was guessing… no this is Argentina you go out at 3am!!!) We got to the bar and it was half full, Martin laughed and said give it time. Yup around 4 am it was packed and we were getting right well drunk… haha oh Birthday Weekends!!! We hung out until 6:30 am and at that point I had enough and was ready to go, the bar was packed full it was crazy!!! Martin was surprised I wanted to go home so EARLY!!! Haha I love this place!!! We got home and went right to sleep, but first noticed Memo was not there, oh right he said he had to go to work at 5am for a location photo shoot!!!

DAY-325-327
    9/23-25/2012
    Had a pretty relaxing day, jumped on bikes and headed for the city. We rode around for a few hours and ran into David walking on the street so we walked around with him for a few hours. Martin was going out and wanted me to join him but I was whooped and decided to stay in so Memo and me just hung out for a few hours before passing out.
    Took a nice slow morning making some breakfast for everyone. Argentineans do not like spicy food and it is hilarious. Martin had my scrambled eggs, 12 eggs with 6 dashes of tobasco and it was too spicy he said hahahaha. We moved a bed up 8 stories to his new apart that he just bought which is an awesome apartment with a massive balcony. His close friends came over to Memo’s house and I cooked a massive chicken stir-fry concoctions, it was pretty good haven’t cooked for more than one person in a while so it was nice to cook for a few good new friends. I got invited to go watch my first Pro Polo Match tomorrow which should be interesting to say the least.
    Had a nice slow morning and then met up with Santiago for polo, we drove out to his weekend house that is being built and the house is incredible all cement and massive!! We then headed for the match which was cool but very very cold; we only stayed for half of it and needed to get back to BA for an appointment.
    I met up with Martin after he got out of work and we headed to his Cousins house for a birthday BBQ, it was nice but very quick. It was over by midnight which everyone w2as a little surprised by since no party ever ends that early. Although of the College kids have Exams all this week. We headed out for one more beer on the way home and somehow ended up in a Gay Irish Bar haha, Martin told me it wasn’t then I told him to go look at the guy’s bathroom door which was covered in naked guys... He then asked and yup it was a gay Irish bar. Haha still nice cheap beer so who am I to complain hahaha…

9/26-28/2012
    I hung out this week waiting for Thursday so I could take my bike to Dakar Moto’s in BA to Get Javier to see what he thought. Wednesday I taook it easy got a few thing down and looked into flights and shipping trying to figure out where the hell I want to Go next, which continents.
    I rode up to Dakar Moto’s in the morning and met Javier and showed him my bike. He was concerned and had the same thoughts as everyone I have talked to.. either my rings a fu*#$%# or they bored my cylinder wrongly and now I need a new sleeve, pistons, and rings. He was going to give me an estemant on the best case scenario and the worst case scenario.. There was an awesome Irish Guy John who lived in the US for the past 15 years who just rode down ove the past 5 months on a 2006 klr. We hung out for a few hours just trading stories and talking about our favorite spots we had ridden on the way down. I caught the train back into the city and then walked around before catching a cab back to Memo’s place.
    I have been playing with the idea of selling the bike, flying to the US and picking up a DR 650 and then shipping it to Australia where I can get a 6 motnh work visa make my money back as well as travel around for a few months. Then go for Japan, asia, toward Europe and finish my trip in Africa.
    So now I have to decide what I want to do with the bike as well as where the hell I want to go next…
    Martin headed out to meet up with a friend, Memo asked if I wanted to go out for a good dinner. He then looked at me wearing a Never Summer Snowboard shirt and Carharts, “but your going to need to put on some nice3r clothes”. “Ugh these are my nicest clothes” hahaha He just looked at me shook his head and started laughing. We then decided to go to another steak place near his house and it was AWESOME!! First time I have had a actually rare steak!! It was about a kilo of beef steak that came out quick seared on each side and nice and bloody inside. The steak was awesome probably the best one I have had in the past 11 months on the road. I got my estimant it was a little scary, parts are really really expensive down here. I walked around town for awhile had some nice street food. We ate some Chinese take out and drank a lot of whiskey and decided that we had a big weekend and were not up for going out.
    [​IMG]
    MY GRANDFATHER PAPA HAS BEEN WITH ME IN MY CHEST POCKET RIDING ALONG.. HE TURNS 96 THIS MONTH!!! ONE HECK OF A MAN!!
    [​IMG]
    AHHHHHHHHH!!!! YOU WANT ME TO DRIVE A CAR!!! AHHHHHHH
    [​IMG]
    MEAT MEAT MEAT.. GOTTA LOVE ARGENTINA
    [​IMG]
    THATS ONE WELL USED BBQ
    [​IMG]
    MARTIN AND HIS DAUGHTER MILLI
    [​IMG]
    LUNCH TIME
    [​IMG]
    THATS ALOT OF MEAT
    [​IMG]
    GETTING SOME BIRTHDAY GREASE!!
    [​IMG]
    POLO
    [​IMG]
    POLO BARN
    [​IMG]
    HEADING FOR THE BARN
    [​IMG]
    POLO HORSES $$$$$$
    [​IMG]
    PLAYING WITH THE MINIATURE PONY
    [​IMG]
    WORKING ON OUR JUGGLING ACT, TO START MAKING SOME SERIOUS MONEY.. HAHAHA
    [​IMG]
    WE GOT STRAIGHT SKILLZ... AS LONG AS YOU TAKE THE PICTURE VERY QUICKLY HAHA
    [​IMG]
    JUST HANGING OUT ON THE FENCE POST AS WE HEAD BACK INTO THE CITY
    [​IMG]
    CRUISING REMOTE CONTROL BOATS IN THE PARK
    [​IMG]
    MARTIN HANGING OUT WITH A FIXIE AND A POLO BIKE....
    [​IMG]
    BEST BENCHES EVER!!!
    [​IMG]
    A RANDOM GIRL RIDING BY, MARTIN ASKED HER TO POSE FOR A PICTURE HAHAHA
    [​IMG]
    AWESOME ART IN THE CITY
    [​IMG]
    MARTIN AND ME
    [​IMG]
    EACH TEAM HAVING OVER TWO MILLION IN HORSES.. CRAZY
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    PRO POLO!!!

MORE TO COME THIS WEEK!! THANKS FOR RIDING ALONG
  15. Shibby!

Shibby! Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sounds like fun!

I don't think I could last past 3AM these days let alone going OUT at 3!
  16. crestedbutte-rtw

Oddometer:
    Colombia stayed with in budget, Ecuador under (cheap gas) Peru under, Bolivia way under, Argentina way over.. (well until I was able to figure out the whole money exchange gig..)

Thanks brother for following along so closely!! Still trying to make up my mind and apply for carnets for either Africa or Australia not sure which way I wanna go.. (I know a shitty decision to have to make... hahaha)

Lots more updates to come..
    later brother Fletch
  17. crestedbutte-rtw

Oddometer:
    Got this Email this morning.
    "Well, the barrel was to tight with the piston and the rebore finish job wasn’t very nice, we will re-burnish the cylinder and reassemble with the piston rings in the right position they were nott…
    On the head the seats and the valves seats wasn’t nice."

Will let you know more when I know!!

Fletch
  18. Hessian42

Hessian42 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Damn man looks like you're having fun down in argentina. That sourthern part of south america is all gauchos and beef, brazil included. Sounds like the bike might not be that bad if they're just honing it out and throwing new rings in. That's why i like letting machine shops put pistons (rod, sleeve, rings) together for me, crazy tight tolerance shit ain't my cup of tea. Hope you get her sorted out and continue on, don't forget what i said about Porte alegre! Enjoy your 28th man!

put up a prep/trip thread and been going at my KLR all week. should be on the road this coming week sometime then i'll make a proper RR. ck it out if you like.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=830253

laters!
  19. Shibby!

Shibby! Long timer

Oddometer:

Hrm..

Rings can go upside down, but they can't really go in the wrong position. Every piston I have seen has a little "stop" to keep them from rotating. I don't think they would fit in the cylinder if they weren't lined up. They also have to be gapped as I' ve had most be a bit too long (there is a proper gap when installed in the cylinder. Put them in, slap the piston in the cylinder to make sure they are perpendicular, then use a feeler guage to measure end gap.

Hope the repairs go well and you are back to brapping!

Does this e-mail affect your decisions? Have you made any?
  20. crestedbutte-rtw

Oddometer:
    What he meant by the rings not being in the right position is that when he opened it up.. the gaps of the rings were almost all lined up straight so the oil was not being blocked and could go right through.. haha