Richmond Va chatter

Discussion in 'Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge' started by mikeinrichmond, Dec 19, 2008.

1. jwray76

jwray76 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I plan on being at Poes in the morning. For anyone that I haven't met I will be the big balled guy riding the black Tigger.
  2. jgiacobbe

jgiacobbe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Eddy's GS Challenge

Could either of the people who had GPS running on the 2nd tell me if this is anything close to the route we took? I pieced together this map from memory and the short time I had my GPS on. I did learn how to get my previously traveled routes into Google maps.

Oh, and if I manage to get up at a decent time, I might make it to Poe's.
  3. HBN

HBN Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wish I could make it down but moving this weekend :nod

Have fun :beer
  4. MAN OF BLUES

MAN OF BLUES COG #5977 EX-TECH EDITOR

Oddometer:

HMMMMMMMMM
    I must make up a batch of caliente salsa picante for the occasion......muy caliente.....:freaky

not to be confused with:
    the Jesus Burrito...
    http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=muy%20caliente
  5. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    that section looks correct...preserved so you can run the Wee right back in there i suppose. you might want to mention the gate at the bottom and "private road" sign. would have been real interesting if we had to turn around and ride back up just to get out. actually, the variety of bikes did pretty well on that road considering they weren't designed for it.

my GPS should have the track from the entire day. never tried to download to Google Maps, how do you go about it?
  6. Guy Young

Guy Young Long timer

Oddometer:
    Finished up assembly of the last major acquisition for the barn yesterday - a NoMar tire changer. Like just about everything else in here, it's moveable due to the decreasing amount of floor space. I can shuffle it around, as needed, to keep it out of the way.

Mounted it on a 4' x 4' x 3/8" steel plate that have ball (transfer) rollers on the underside. To lock it in place when in use, I have a series of Allen head (set screw) jacking screws that I screw down. To keep the points of the screws from digging into the concrete and tearing it up, I've put some 1/8" thick pieces of flat bar that the screws contact when in the down position. This also spreads out the loading and helps insure the plate won't budge.

Will try it out later today on a couple of spare Connie and KLR wheels so I can learn the proper technique for it's use.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All pix of this last project in the last pages of:

https://gbyoung2.smugmug.com/Family/Garage-Project/11686385_YA8pi

7. jgiacobbe

jgiacobbe Long timer

Oddometer:
    On a garmin if you connect it via GPS to your PC it should get mounted as a USB drive. Inside there should be a folder called Garmin and inside that a GPX folder. The GPX files inside can be opened with google earth. Since I only had my GPS on for part of the trip, I used Google Earth to create a path and then saved it to a kml file. Then imported that to my places in google maps. Probably a much simpler way but, I hadn't tried any of that before yesterday.

*Edit* I just tried and you can upload GPX files directly to google maps. Go to maps, select my places, new map, and hit the import link. *edit*

The part I wasn't sure I had correct was the end. I was not sure if I had the track ending at the right spot.
  8. MADSTROM

MADSTROM Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sorry ... I only turned mine on after we were hopelessly lost and it still couldn't tell me where we were. It kept telling me to take turns that didn't exist. It wouldn't have helped much anyway. The only thing I had time to watch were the brick/cinder block shaped rockets all over the place and the saplings and blackberry bushes I was constanly ducking. I didn't dare take my hands off the handle bars to swat the bugs that were constantly in my face. But I'm not worried about finding that track again. There's NO WAY I'l ever ride it again on purpose or accidently. I'm just thankful I didn't crash, find an active still or hear banjo music.:rofl
  9. jgiacobbe

jgiacobbe Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm not interested in going back, more thinking that I'd like to know where we were so I can avoid it. Also, I figured if we mapped it, it would be harder for Eddy to forget.
  10. MADSTROM

MADSTROM Long timer

Oddometer:

Oh, that's easy, don't go in headed north from Rte 60 at Long Mountain rest stop and dont get off FR63 headed south towards Rte 60. We were all over those faint dotted lines on Mt Pleasant National Senic Area ( some scenery lol ). We tried for Little Piney River Rd but couldn't make the connection and finally came out on to Indian Creek Rd to St Mary's Church road to Rte 778 just south of Lowesville where we started. No of the "dotted lines" on Mt Pleaseant has a name according to the DeLorme topo. :lol3

PS: We were on Wiggins somewhere in the midlle of it and I think I saw a sign for the "Henry Lanum Memorial Trail" when we were lost in the dotted lines.
  11. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    i wasn't hopelessly lost, i knew exactly where we were...the problem was that my GPS didn't indicate we were on a road. at least i could see on the screen that there was a road over yonder, ya know, thataway.

...and there was a kid with a banjo on the porch of that shack we went by. i remember 'cause it was the only time coming down that road that i hit second gear.
  12. skychs

skychs chuck smith Supporter

Oddometer:
    You guys are killing me about that ride on the 2nd. It was challenging and somewhat scary not being able to find a paved road but in hindsight it gave me a good idea what the 12GS could do. In addition it gave me an idea what I can do. Will I go back? Probably not...... but I had a good time and enjoyed the company.

On a less exciting note ..... I just got back from the Honda Wing Ding (Goldwing) rally in Knoxville. All I can say is .... I'd rather ride with the AdvRider group. I'm 54 and I felt young and skinny down there. Its just not my cup of tea. I would rather go to a motorcycle only campground and sit around the campfire drinking a beer. I did get to do the Snake on 421 again but I sure missed my GS.
  13. Greenflyfarmer

Greenflyfarmer I'm better now.

Oddometer:
    Went by to see Jimmy Mootz (SRMN8TR) at MCV today. He is in good spirits but has a lot of physical recovery and work ahead of him. Keep a positive thought about him and a prayer in your heart if you are so disposed.
  14. MADSTROM

MADSTROM Long timer

Oddometer:
    Fixed my snapped off shift lever from last Saturday's rock bashing. Now
    I'm ready for the twisties in WV next weekend. :ricky

BEFORE:
    [​IMG]

AFTER:
    [​IMG]
  15. jgiacobbe

jgiacobbe Long timer

Oddometer:
    And you looked at me funny when I told you they would all be old and took it that I was calling you old. On the July 2nd ride, I wouldn't take my wee back on that road (at least the last part), but I would take a 250cc DS. Mostly I was just trying to figure out where we went as my father was curious.The best comment from him about the whole thing "You couldn't find a crappy road closer to home?":rofl

Kind of made me think for a sec.
  16. skychs

Oddometer:
    I should have listened to you but I had to see for myself what it was all about. The oddest thing about the rally .... there were thousands of bikes but I couldn't HEAR any of them. It just sounded like a bee have. Buzz here. Buzz there. No loud exhaust. Just a handful of Harley's showed up. Nothing like Ameriade where you could hear the Harley's run up and down the street all day and night.
  17. Eddy Alvarez

Eddy Alvarez Motorcycle ADD Supporter

Oddometer:
    So, besides me, who's in for "Eddy's GS Challege" Part Deux! Same route, but let's REVERSE directions so that when we are done, we can hang a right on 60 and go get fajitas and cold beverages!

Just say when (Except the next two weekends) and I'm there! I'm serious! :evil
  18. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:

i'm in for round two, except it would have to be a fall ride. i'm west and north in august, might see snow.
  19. skychs

Oddometer:
    Is anyone meeting to ride up to Morton's Friday morning? It looks like the weather is going to be nice and a lot cooler.

Also, is anyone going to the BMW MOA National Rally up in PA in two weeks? I thought about going just to see what one was like. It has to be better than the Wing Ding rally.

Eddy ..... I may be interested in going back up there but I need to look into a better skid plate on the GS.
  20. kwn306

kwn306 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Eddy should be coming up from your neck of the woods, wife and I will be there but we are only coming from Thornburg. Probably head up early and eat breakfast at the 4 Seasons Rest. (across from the Mazda dealer on Rt 1) which is right around the corner from Morton's. Looking forward to a great day and the cooler temps :wink::wink::wink: