What would you thinks of Bates boots?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by jearnshaw, May 20, 2013.

1. jearnshaw

jearnshaw Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  2. 9Realms

9Realms Drawn in by the complex plot

Oddometer:
    Fine looking boots actually.

Some like a "flatter" bottom or sole, look at Aerostich boots, etc., they really blend the heel into the sole so there is no step. I don't know why... maybe they think we will be laying the bike on it's side in the curves and dragging a foot..

I think they would be fine, supportive, etc., my only concern is the LACES. Seen, read, etc too many riders get a lace caught on the shifter, a peg, in the chain, no good.

I see they do not have the "hooks" in the uppers, which is good, I carved up my engine case side covers with hiking boots that had the effing hook-eyelets. Bike had less than break in miles when I did that... :cry

I switched to some Icon boots which I love, but they are not waterproof. They reminded me of that last night on my home, 20 minutes in the rain, not by choice on the bike, and I could feel the goldfish swimming in the bottoms of my Icon's.
  3. SloMo228

SloMo228 World Class Cheapass

Oddometer:
    They don't really seem to have any more protection than a regular work boot / combat boot / hiking boot. I like my riding boots to at least have a little bit of armor around the ankle and preferably the shin, too. That said, I often ride in an old pair of heavy-duty hiking boots without any worries (street riding only with these, wouldn't take them off-road at all).

They're probably OK for abrasion protection but don't seem to offer any real impact protection. Whether they're good enough for you is the question, I guess. I'd probably wear them on the street for sedate rides (like commuting) and not feel too bad about it.
  4. jearnshaw

jearnshaw Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Somehow I re posted twice on this thread...

But I will be mostly commuting on my bike with the occasional trip tossed in there and I ride a FZ6R so the only offroad I will see is a dirt road.
  5. Snarky

Snarky Vodka Infused.

Oddometer:
    I've been wearing bates probably for about the last 10 years or so. They are decent enough. I would say they are one of the better boots for under 100$. I would say the best thing about them is that they are decent good on and off a bike, they don't look too weird.

My suggestion to you is to ditch the stock laces, grab some paracord, remove the inner core, and then lace it up so it fits your foot well. Then tie a permanent or semi permanent knot in the cord, cut off all the excess cord, and tuck the knot into your boot. Then just use the zipper to get them on and off. This largely keeps laces from interfering with your bike.

Buckets and straps snag and get hung up on pegs and shifters too, I know, I've done it. This puts them about on par with them. Trimming off the excess lacing is good practice, and decoring paracord will weaken it quite a bit, which is a good thing imo.

The waterproof claim is pretty much bullshit, as with most things.
  6. theloop

theloop Long timer

Oddometer:
    I wear bates boots, but when shopping I make sure I get the ones made in America. Sometimes they are cheaper than the ones you listed that are made in China. Sometimes you can get some of their boots that were made for military spec, but were rejected for a small blemish. I like the rat boots that were made for the military, but stay away from the bates rat boots, since the military had problems with them and sent many pairs back (ebay is flooded with them) and go with the danner brand rat boot.
  7. theloop

theloop Long timer

Oddometer:
  8. NJ Moto

NJ Moto Glory Bound

Oddometer:
  9. Bluesmudge

Bluesmudge Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  10. mrt10x

mrt10x Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer:
    For the type of riding you are doing I think the would be fine.. if you are really worried about laces replace the laces with one of these
    [​IMG]

Or a speed lace system and tuck them away for good an use the side zips.. or the parachord suggestion above.
  11. N8R

N8R n00b

Oddometer:
    I own several pairs of Bates Tactical Boots. Some are insulated and some have GoreTex liners. They are very light in weight and extremely comfortable right from the get go. I also treat all my leather gear with Obenauf's. (Both the Heavy Duty LP and the Water Shield):thumb
  12. Big-O

Big-O Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ditto on the post above. I own several bates boots, best I've found in a long time. I have the super lightweight gortex above ankle boots...outstanding and they do keep me dry. I have 3 pair right now just incase they get discontinued.