High Mileage Club, anyone?

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by bbishoppcm, Sep 5, 2010.

1. bbishoppcm

bbishoppcm It ain't a moped.

Oddometer:
    I am closing on my first season of riding with my somewhat restored '86 Elite 150, and couldn't believe I've already put more than 4,000 miles on her, making the total mileage for this bike 17,204. I am happy to report that all major components are original; the engine has never been overhauled, and everything still works as it should. Most of my repairs were cosmetic, with some light mechanical repairs (including a rebuilt carb from a low-mileage '87 Elite).

In 4,000 miles I've gone through two rear tires (one puncture, one worn to nothing), three or four exhaust gaskets, five oil changes, removed the muffler heat shield after finding about 100 stress cracks, and had to tighten and adjust several items. Otherwise, this bike is solid as a freaking rock.

So, I'd like to hear from some other Honda owners (Elite, Helix, and others); has anyone broken the 20,000 mile mark? 30,000? Beyond?

Oh, and the bike is painted with Rust-Oleum (for plastics) Red with a clear top-coat. The paint shows no signs of aging, fading, or cracking; I have noticed a few stone chips, but those were easily touched up. This was once a Satellite Blue Metallic bike.

Here are some photos;
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=31554302&l=7f60c726fa&id=1071564237

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=31502962&l=0fd529ec11&id=1071564237

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=31554303&l=49e5869251&id=1071564237

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=31502965&l=62bfa624e1&id=1071564237
  2. btcn

btcn Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thats a cool looking scoot! I have also just completed about 4000 miles on my elite, which had around 10,000 on it when I bought it. But unfortunately I blew my engine after just 1000 miles! I popped an 87 engine off of ebay in my blue 86 deluxe. I believe that the intake manifold boot is what blew my engine! That stupid $30 part caused the engine to go bad and have 30 PSI of compression! But other than that, and a couple of exhaust gaskets, and a few other minor repairs, I think my Elite is finally running great .

DEFINITELY replace yours as well, even if you think it looks good or see no cracks in it. It is only $30, and will probably save your engine! I sure do not want to spend another $600 on a new engine and so much time dealing with stripped bolts and all that work. Make sure all of your pipes are good! If your manifold has a tiny tiny crack, your engine will run way lean and you could seize your piston, seize valves, and many more things. This is just something I think should really be replaced.

I plan on riding many many more miles on my elite. I am going to keep it for ever and ride it for fun and keep it in mint condition. It is a lot of fun! I have seen 65+ mph, I even hit 70 with the wind at my back on a great day and I weight 180 pounds! How fast have you gone? Good luck with your Elite!
  3. bbishoppcm

bbishoppcm It ain't a moped.

Oddometer:
    I conquer with the intake boot, and I've made it a point to mention this to EVERY Elite owner who shows up here (so keep it up, and help spread the word!). My intake was TRASHED at 12,000 miles, but luckily, the engine seems to have survived. The fastest I've ever gone was 70, slightly downhill with a tailwind. It's amazing how smooth these are, even at high speeds. I plan on replacing this with a Helix at some point, but I need to suck every mile I can out of it. My original muffler did have some holes, so I bought one on eBay that is very solid, aside from the heat shield (since removed). I also coated the replacement muffler with header paint. Last I checked my compression was at around 15,000 miles, and it was around 175psi.
  4. btcn

btcn Long timer

Oddometer:
    These things are pretty damn smooth! I can easily cruise at 50-55 mph and the bumps are no problem! The only thing that can be a problem once in a while is strong winds. They blow the little 220 pound bike all over! I might think about getting a wind screen or something for really windy days that I could easily install and remove. I love the wind in my face though! It is definitely true all intake boots should be replaced! I had a lot of trouble finding a new engine, and it was not easy on my wallet at $700 including shipping, or my time with all those stripped nuts because the pervious owner did not know how to tighten bolts properly! But now it is holding up pretty well. But I hate those crappy exhaust gaskets! I found that the engine will run way lean if you have a bad one! I have heard of some guys busing valves and other bad things because of these poorly designed gaskets! I would like to try and design a better gasket myself, maybe one that could hold up at least 5,000 miles. I replace it almost every time I change my oil.

I do plan on trying to get many many more miles out of this elite! I ride in between 200 and 500 miles almost every weekend and it usually runs pretty great!
  5. lowbuckrider

lowbuckrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  6. tastroman

tastroman Long timer

Oddometer:
    I put 46,000 miles on an 87 Honda Elite 250. When I sold it a few years ago it needed a ring job and a new muffler but was still a daily driver. I had the belt break on me at 22,000 and again at 40,000 miles. I had to replace a manifold gasket at at 20,000 but other than that, I never had anything else break. I maintained it about as poorly as one could. I lost the oil screen around 10,000 miles and never replaced it, I changed the plug, transmission oil and air filter once, and I never washed it, not once. Here is a picture of it the day I sold it.

[​IMG]
  7. AngryScot

AngryScot .

Oddometer:
    not high, but since I picked up my scoot in April this year I have done 2,200 miles and climbing :D
    :gdog

:lol2
  8. windburn

windburn Long timer

Oddometer:
    July 30 2008 I bought this 07 Honda Silver Wing with 50 miles on the odometer. today I have 20,300 Oil and tires only but this week a new belt, air filter and rear tire go on.

Pelee island Canada 8/30/10

[​IMG]
  9. btcn

btcn Long timer

Oddometer:
    Man thats a beautiful silver wing! I see how you put that many miles on it so quick! I am probably going to get one when I get the money! I love the smooth transmission and reliable engine!
  10. mboni

mboni Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My 2006 Silverwing just got it's 32,000 mile service, still running strong.

There's some indication of a leaking fork seal, but other than that I've had no issues other than regular maintenance.

The Silverwing is known to be a very long lasting bike. There's at least one out there with over 115,000 miles, it was ridden regularly from Florida to Alaska.
  11. honda_silver

honda_silver Adventurer

Oddometer: