Highway Dirt Bike (HDB) top clamp and handguards

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Chadx, Jan 23, 2010.

1. Chadx

Chadx my toot toot

Oddometer:
    I see a lot of threads about handguards and top clamps which often touch on the products from Highway Dirt Bikes (HDB), but no dedicated thread, so here we go.

In September, 2009, after looking around at all the options available, I decided on the HDB top clamp and handguards for my 2008 WR250R dual sport. Needing a place to mount two powerlet outlets, and not wanting to add extraneous brackets, I started looking into integrating the powerlets into a handlebar top clamp. The original version of the HDB top clamp has 4 small switch holes in the upper portion. I was curious if these could be drilled out to accommodate the 18mm hole needed to mount a powerlet so I contacted Paul, at Highway Dirt Bikes, to get the ball rolling.

Here is a pic of the original top clamp that got me thinking:
    [​IMG]

After a bit of discussion on clearances and research on the various powerlets available, Paul worked up the following, replacing the four small switch holes with two 18mm holes.

[​IMG]

I decided to go for it, so completed an order to include the top clamp, lower clamps with some rise, hand guards, Protaper Evo bars (which he tapped for me), and some of the flip out mirrors.

Then I received an email from Paul with a new idea he had worked up and, suddenly, all was right with the world.

In this image of the new design, you can see he left the top portion of the top clamp as it was in the original design but added material to create a lower portion in which the two 18mm powerlet holes could be drilled:

[​IMG]

Paul ordered the needed material to do a run of clamps. Since I was moving to fat bars, I needed a 100mm x 40mm bolt pattern. Stock bars, or any 7/8 bars, would have used a 100mm x 33mm bolt pattern on this bike.

After a couple weeks, the first run was complete and I was pleased to receive this image of the new top clamp design with a low-profile powerlet mounted.

[​IMG]
  2. Chadx

Chadx my toot toot

Oddometer:
    I had shared some of these teaser photos on the WR250R megathread around page 608.
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=329337&page=608

A few others have since ordered up and hopefully they will pipe up with their stories and pics. I have not yet mounted everything up, but I did take this image of my new setup.
    [​IMG]
  3. Chadx

Chadx my toot toot

Oddometer:
    I misjudged the rise of the lower bar clamps I ordered and so Paul let me exchange them for some taller, custom lower bar clamps with a total of 2" more rise than my stock lower clamps. I ordered the YZ High bend Evos to eliminate as much pullback as possible. These bars are 1/2" shorter than the rise of the stock bars so I'll end up with about 1.5" of rise.

I will be ordering a 3 circuit fuse block for my electrical needs. I'm looking at a couple different setups, including
    Eastern Beaver http://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/Products/Fuseboxes/3_Circuit/3_circuit.html and
    Fuzeblocks http://fuzeblocks.com/.

Whichever I choose, I'll use two low-profile powerlets in the clamp.
    Low profile powerlet info here: http://www.powerletproducts.com/product/lowprofile-powerlet-socket/285
    But there are many powerlet options. http://www.powerletproducts.com/shop-by-product/plugs-sockets-wire-more/PWRDIST

The third circuit may go towards heated grips, though with the heated gloves, I'm still on the fence. One powerlet will always be hot (non-switched). It will be used for my GPS and for hooking up the battery tender. The other two circuits will be switched, meaning only hot when the ignition is on. The switched powerlet will be used for my heated gear (jacket liner and gloves). The other switched circuit, as mentioned, will likely be used for heated grips.

More pics to follow as the project progresses. Some of the other folks that ordered the new top clamp are further along in the mounting process than I, so hopefully they will post up some images.
  4. Chadx

Chadx my toot toot

Oddometer:
    All the HDB items also come in black, which looks really sharp. Here is a shot of another clamp they worked up with powerlet installed at the bottom, three switches on top, plus a Ram ball mount installed. Good stuff.

[​IMG]

These are the hand guards. Sweet sturdiness in all it's glory. I have not installed my handguards as of yet, but will do so and then provide an installation review and, in the warmer future, a real world robustness review. [Edit: My "warmer day" came. It was up to 16 degrees so I went for a 2 hour ride. See my comments in post #64 of this thread).

[​IMG]

Post Script: I have no affiliation with HDB or Paul. I just enjoyed working with him to come up with this solution and like the design and functionality of his products. That being the case, I thought this thread would be a good place to discuss HDB products and experiences for those interested.
    theandy likes this.
  5. Assfault

Assfault Exposed Member Supporter

Oddometer:
    Michigan from the Rocky Mountain High Country
    I see they have a Scotts Damper sub-mount bracket but I couldn't find a picture for the life of me on thier site. I found a referance that they can only be used with thier lower clamps but that is all. I hope they see this and will post a picture. I have a XR600R and would like to raise the bars and keep the damper but cant with the setup from Scotts, as they only provide for a stock type setup. I was hoping thier sub-mount bracket might be utilized so I may achieve my goal.
    Assfault
  6. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Nice work :thumb It makes for a neat and tidy installation of switches and plugs. Give us an update when it's installed on the bike.
  7. bash3r

bash3r 790ADVR

Oddometer:
    I'm still in the middle of installation, wiring up my 3CS with the rocker switch & powerlet socket. Here's my top/bottom clamps and bars I got from Paul. If you plan to do a rocker switch make sure you contact Paul or make sure there's an option for the rocker switch as it needs more machine work done for the rocker switch than the powerlet..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The quality is very good and Paul @ HDB was a pleasure to work with on this project, I'd highly recommend them. Now I wish I had their handguards too :)
  8. Durangoman

Durangoman Yeah its me!

Oddometer:
    Very Cool

:1drink
  9. DiscoDino

DiscoDino Long timer

Oddometer:
    Paul Rocks! Simple!
  10. Spam16v

Spam16v Squid Rocket Supporter

Oddometer:
    Paul is the man. highly recommend his stuff.
  11. CodeMonkee

CodeMonkee Geek Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The title is kind of misleading - nothing about the handguards.

The reason I make this comment is that I am more interested in the handguards - although I know they go together. The reason I am interested is that my Cycra guards that came with my Hussy get bent/misaligned (a little), I lost a bolt and one came lose, and they are pulling the inserts out of the bars.

I guess that is to be expected of any conventional handguard, but I was wondering if the HDB guards were more stout because they attach at the top clamp, or maybe the opposite?

Any feedback on these from people who have used them in situations where the handguards hit things, like the ground, trees and such? About every other ride I fall down at least one and that usually involves the handguards.

The top clamp features are a plus, but I am more interested in the durability of the handguards. The LED turn signal guard plastics seem nice too.
  12. DiscoDino

DiscoDino Long timer

Oddometer:
    The few people that have ridden with me know that I usually hit the deck on several occasions per outing...and these guards are better than what I have before on the same bike (Cycras and Acerbis).

3 main reasons:

1. the threaded insert on the ends of the bar have a better bite than the expansion inserts all others use
    2. mounting to the triple clamp top puts a cross stabilizing effect to mounting to is won't rotate as easily
    3. the actual bars themselves are massive and it takes a LOT to bend them (not rotation, just altering them)

BTW, my bike is ~340lbs, and I'm ~275lbs, so when we go down, we don't feather-down :puke1
  13. HDB

HDB Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey thanks guys for all the props.

To help answer some of the questions on guards, here's a post In Vendors, that shows some of the features and a discount.

Basher, Chadx and everyone who has supported me by buying my gear, if you ever have an issue like the one here, WR Post, or anything else for that matter, please feel free to get a hold of me to make it right.
    I don't have the luxury of access to many models to mock up to assure good fitment, and I rely many times on the first set of customers for valuable feedback. I try hard to get it right the first time, but I don't always think of everything.

Thanks again and please PM me or post in the Vendors forum if you have any questions.
    SMURPH likes this.
  14. Chadx

Chadx my toot toot

Oddometer:
    For that I ask your patience. I will have more to report, and pictures, once I get the handguards mounted. I had a bit of an issue mounting the lower bar clamps because the bolts were too long. There wasn't enough clearance for a deep-well socket and the bolt would push a standard length socket off the nut as I tightened everything down. I measured carefully and stopped at a buddy's to borrow his vice and grinder. A minute or two later, long-bolt situation was solved. Back home and the lower clamps were mounted within 5 minutes.

I've now moved all the controls over to the new bars, but haven't installed grips yet. Once grips are on, he handguards will go on and I can report how the installation went.

I encourage others, that have installed and properly "tested" the hand guards, to post up. I know there are lots of folks running these guards and it would be nice to have opinions and experiences (and photos!) all in one thread. When searching for HDB handguards, there are reviews mixed throughout various threads, like in ride reports, but it makes it hard to find.

I'll go back and edit one of my original posts to mention the handguard review will be coming in the future.
  15. Chadx

Chadx my toot toot

Oddometer:
    Hey Paul,
    No worries on the bolts. It only took about 2 minutes to chop them to a perfect length. I didn't think to measure them prior to installation so you would have the info for future customers. Sorry about that. I had a custom length lower clamp, though, so that measurement wouldn't apply to other WR250R owners that went with one of your two standard rise lower clamps. I didn't want to bother you with mailing different bolts since you'd already gone so far over the top with your great service and patience through the design process. Besides, the grinder made quick work of the needed cut and remainder of the installation. I imagine any size bolt would work on most bikes. The WR250R just has a quirky right-side-clearance thing goin' on.
  16. Chadx

Chadx my toot toot

Oddometer:
    Here is a quick shot of the HDB top clamp installed. I'll take better pics once I get the hand guards installed (note the hand guard brackets already installed on the top clamp).

[​IMG]
  17. Chadx

Chadx my toot toot

Oddometer:
    A shot from an angle to see the custom lower clamps. These risers are about 2" taller than stock. I chose a bar bend that was 1/2" shorter than stock netting me 1.5" of rise over the stock height. It really has opened up the cockpit. I will have plenty of room to use the standard powerlets, if I want, rather than the lower profile powerlets. I wanted to get my rise from the bar clamps rather than from handlebar bend so this worked out great.

Though it may look like it from the following image, the risers and clamp do not block the speedo. The shot up above shows my view from my standard riding position.

[​IMG]
  18. mountain eagle

mountain eagle terrorist

Oddometer:
    Wow Paul, I really like the new clamp with the lower aux holes. And the remote and key combo piece is nice too.

I've had the HDB stuff on both my KTM525 and my Husky 610...... in my mind it's easily the best system out there. As soon as I can I'll be setting up the new bike too....

525 fitting pictures

Husky TE610 HDB pictures
  19. bash3r

bash3r 790ADVR

Oddometer:
    Just wanted to post up some photos of the finished install on my WR. This setup has worked out perfectly! Paul & HDB are kilin it!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You can check out my complete install here. I got videos of the install as well as connecting up all the electrical connections. Now.. bring on warmer weather!
  20. snakecharmr

snakecharmr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    has anyone fitted these to a KLR, looks like a better way for me to ad the 12v outlet and beef the top clamp up a bit.. Not sure if the handguards would work with the front headlight fairing though.

thanks