GSA high lift jack for the sleeping bike

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by SocalRob, Oct 28, 2008.

1. 3legs

3legs Real men ride sidecars Supporter

Oddometer:
    Put a sidecar on it. Problem solved.

3legs
  2. sidetrack one

sidetrack one Chief Tiddler Supporter

Oddometer:
    BIGJIM, you are the master of the mixed metaphor!!:rofl At least you told him what you thought!! They can be a bastard to pick up though! Seems small, light and compact solution if you feel the need, I carry shit that people say why? well I just do!! Each to their own:deal
  3. srace7

srace7 Aspiring Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Everyone is entitled to their own opinion... It is just that some express them coherently and politely without making judgements on others...

As they say "be prepared"... With luck on my round the world trip I won't ever need it... But if I do - it may make life easier.
  4. DOOBIEDOG

DOOBIEDOG Who dares gets a kebab

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  5. modestmuscle

modestmuscle Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think this is a great idea, I'll be getting one soon :D

Thanks
    Shep
  6. Tuff Tunica

Tuff Tunica Moto-Skiveez creator

Oddometer:
    Although I support this notion to a certain extent, if you can't lift it loaded like it is, then don't risk dropping it. However I think this is a brilliant idea even if you are completely able to right your bike.

I had a spill in Baja with my much lighter KTM and as a result dislocated my shoulder. What should have been an easy pick up turned into one of the most painful experiences of my life. So I think this would be like a type of insurance policy. If you embark alone do so in a manner where are not reliant on others in the event of a tip over, however if a situation presents itself, ie injury or conditions, where you are not able to right the bike alone why would you not want this type of help?
  7. SocalRob

SocalRob Super Moderator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    I think something is lost in the translation, but maybe not. Guys like you really seem to need to have your manhood validated by what/how you ride. Here in the states you would own a Harley. The rest of us aren't so worried about what others think. :lol3
  8. AngryScot

AngryScot .

Oddometer:
    Excellent stuff Rob. :wave

To the "others"
    Keep it civil, or GB will be on you like wacka mole! :deal
    Can't say anything nice, then we have a basement for you to play in :deal

AngryScot
    ADV Mod
  9. beammeup

beammeup Guaging racefully

Oddometer:
    I had been thinking along these lines myself - I may ask for one of these for X-mas. While I generally have no trouble picking up the GSA, I did run into some difficulty on my trip to Wyoming.

I was riding some cow-paths (the GPS was convinced they were roads!) and got into some loose rock on a fairly steep uphill section. I found myself heading off to the side of the two-track, into the thick sagebrush. I over-corrected coming back onto the road and went through the right side track I had been riding and into the middle hump between the two tracks. I hit a large rock that was hidden by the sagebrush in the middle of the trail and took an unplanned dive from the bike.:fall

This was a low speed launch (~15mph) but I cracked a rib on landing. My toes were pointed, however, so I did get straight 8's except for a 6 from the Ukrainian judge:D.

I was alone and on a steep, loose rock hill. My rib was making it difficult to breath but this was not much of a detriment, as I was just over 8000 ft elevation and there wasn't much air to breath anyhow. It took several tries before I was able to get the GSA 'out of bed'. I was miles from any possible assistance.

This jack would have been a VERY welcomed accesory in this situation. YMMV:gerg

Thanks for bringing this to my attention!
  10. gritt

gritt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good idea. I one had my KTM 4 stroke DIRT BIKE slip out from under me on some REALLY slick hard pack. I had such a hard time picking up a 250lb bike under those circumstances, and I'm by no means a little guy or a wimp. I can see something like this being extremely valuable under the right (or wrong) circumstances.
  11. marchyman

marchyman barely informed Supporter

Oddometer:
    :confused what's wrong with unloading it before you lift it? :ear

I would unload it first. I'm lazy and see no reason why I should lift an extra 30-60 pounds of stuff when I don't have to (even if I can).

// marc
  12. Deans BMW

Deans BMW Granpa Hoon

Oddometer:
    There are times when a bike goes down in the worst possible situation, This rig could be a definite lifesaver.
  13. configurationspace

configurationspace delooper

Oddometer:
    And there's other times when the ground is so soft that it might be hard to use. I'm thinking deep gooey mud. Difficult to get any traction with your feet when trying to pick up the bike, and the jack may never hit anything "solid". When I go down in such a situation I try to hook ratcheting straps between the bike and any nearby trees. Either that, or find something that can brace my feet in place.
  14. SocalRob

SocalRob Super Moderator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Of course its easier to lift unloaded, I was seeing if I could lift it loaded, which is the worst case. However, if you are on a truly crappy stretch of road and are dropping the bike multiple times, unloading, lifting, reloading, dropping, repeat, repeat . . . can not only be time consuming and exhausting, it may well push you into bad judgement exhaustion, especially at altitude. I may need to work out my lifting technique, but my original picture in the snow, I did indeed remove the top box and was still not succeeding in getting the bike up prior to the trucker coming along. I had not given up by a long shot, but I was mighty happy to get a helping hand.

If you had to use the jack in mud, I think it would normally be possible to find rocks/plant branches or something solid to put under the jack base to make it workable. If the mud is too loose for that, I'm thinking you have way more problems than standing the bike up (I've been in knee deep soft mud, no fun). Remember too, if you carry a bit of rope you can rig this thing as a come-a-long to drag the bike out.
  15. longtallsally

longtallsally Yeah I'm a chick

Oddometer:
    I think it is a great idea, Rob. I'm blessed with being a little larger than the average bear so picking the beast up isn't really an issue for me, but my well documented failing knees may get me to the point of needing this in the future. And considering how much I like dumping it this would be a good solution.

A couple areas of concern:
    1) bulk of transport. I'm already not very good at packing light, and this seems like it might add a bit much in the weight department. The come-a-long idea mention earlier seems a bit more viable for the weight/space challenged

2) it seems a bit flimsy as a whole in the bike application. For the snowmobile it just flips it and it lands like a righted Jeep or the like on all fours. As such, I'm not certain in the situation with the snow that would have been particularly safe for you to right it in that manner- if it slides and you are already struggling a bit in the strength/girth department (no offense), there is a possiblity it could get you trapped under the bike or twist something and cause an injury.

However, if you can safety anchor it and get it to where the "squat" isn't as great, it could be a very big help. :thumb
  16. John Harden

John Harden Commuting Adventurer

Oddometer:
    These are excellent points. I've dropped my pig 8-10 times and so far (knock on wood), I've just leaned over and lifted her right up, no problem, even in sand, off camber, etc. Having said that, I've never been hurt, or been in mud, or a similiar situation where it would have been a lot harder. I also like your point about multiple drops during a day wearing you down. You just described my sand riding technique. Ride, drop, lift, repeat as necessary....:D

Its really no different than 4X4'ing. If you go out alone, you need to bring with you the means to self extract. Here in SoCal, a winch isn't enough. Often, there's no place to attach the line too, particularly in the sand. In those instances, a Pull-Pal device that allows you to make your own hard point to winch out against is a good option. I never go out alone without it, and have had occasion to put it to use.

If I was with buddies for a day of riding, I'd save the 6 pounds and leave it at home. If I was going on a trip by myself, particularly if it was over a good distance and in an isolated area, I'd consider bringing one of those.

It ain't for everyone, but I'm sure some folks will put them to good use.

Regards,

John
  17. wandererjim5

wandererjim5 CornerGrinner

Oddometer:
    To Exsplore out of ones Driveway and Past the Cafe Latte. One Must have...:evil ?
    Hi Lift Jack'
    Base Plate for prementioned Device.
    Bull Bar...to...mount the...
    Electric Winch. 8000Lb should do?
    12v Petrol Powered Genset for said Winch.
    Jerry Can of Spare Fuel.
    100 mtrs Aircraft Cable'
    'D' Shackles.
    Tree Protector.
    "Men" at Work Warning Signs?
    Flares.
    Reflective 'Fold-up' Safety Triangles.
    Riggers Gloves.
    P.P.E. Gear to suit Rigerous Persuits!
    Coat Hanger to Hang-up "Airo-Stitch" Type Jacket so it won't get Dirty.
    Air Bag Jack.
    Plastic "Ktm Coloured" De-Bogger Mats for soft Ground.
    Hand Winch to Exstract the Bogged Trailer you need to carry all the Gear!
    :puke1 :puke1 :puke1 ....

My Father ...and MOTHER could lift 100kilos at 84yo.:evil ?
    You not picking it up off the ground! Don't you know how to lift your Bike?
    Ok Pre School for all you Newbees....Gear Romoved. Bars straight. Bum Backed against seat and Lift the Barstard! With your Legs!!
    Practise at Home. Have a mate on Standby. But you will find you CAN do it! ....
    Battery Acid? You DON'T have a Gell Cell? Get one is a good idea.
    For all the Fems. You put a Tree Branch under your seat over the Lower Muffler Mount/ Swing Arm...what ever and lift it that way!! Piss easy. You'r in sand? Pull the Bike Sideways onto new Ground Jacket under wheel and go again. Done it solo for about 20 Pluss years! Reg stuff Down here! There have you learnt anything? I Bloodywell Doubt it! Practise. BIGJim.
  18. vincentb

vincentb n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi, you guys, why bother, the bike it just so tired so sleepy...:D
  19. LoCat

LoCat Time it's a bitch

Oddometer:
    How about a low pressure air bag? :deal

http://www.ok4wd.com/index.php/catalog/product/arb_bushranger_x_jack/

Wouldn't take much and you could use exhaust or your tire pump (electric).

I just did some searching and most of the stuff I found online is overkill. I'm guessing you may be able to get by with some kind of beach ball. Not for the total lift but in conjunction with manual lift.

[​IMG]

Discuss :norton
  20. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Villa Maria Sanitarium, Claremont, CA. USA
    Thanks for posting Rob. Nice little tool at 6 pounds/15" and could be used for multiple jobs on a trip and around a camp site.
    Some of these posters crying too much weight have never been on a long trip is my guess. It gets old after a while when your're nearing age 60 to 'rough it.' I'd take along the jack. We take two folding arm chairs, two cook stoves, two sleeping pads, a set of sheets, a down comforter, a king pillow, a gas light, a few pans and plates, tent, food, tools and a WHOLE bunch of stuff not mentioned! Of course we have two bikes. After about your 8th week on the road and in the middle of Labrador it's nice to have all your 'stuff,' especially if you are with the Mrs and she is carrying her half! On one of our trips I laughed at a guys 'folding saw' he proudly produced from his panniers. That night we had a really nice fire and I thought about getting a folding saw. Pedro laughed at Colleen's 'French press', but he was first in line for a cup of coffee in the morning! Sitting on a rock or damp ground is fine I guess, but my arm chair is better. I weighed all of my 'stuff' including the panniers...72 pounds...that's less than half the weight of most passengers. Good idea Rob.

the famous james and the fabulous colleen