Radioman Rides the World.......

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Radioman, May 19, 2011.

1. marty hill

marty hill The Energizer Bunny

Oddometer:
    Mark, I'll be in lake oswego on the 16th. Planning on dinner at one of your fave restaurants. Assume you will be long gone? Enjoy Australia.
  2. Radioman

Radioman Moto rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sorry Marty, I will be long gone :) Have a great trip to LO!
  3. Radioman

Oddometer:
    Thanks Andy!! Hope to take you up on another visit someday!
  4. Radioman

Oddometer:
    Yesterday was the hottest day of the year in Florida :lol3
  5. Radioman

Oddometer:
    Been a very busy visit back home. After returning from DC, I drove up to Seattle to see my younger brother and family, and couple of my oldest and dearest friends. :deal

This short break has been great to share a few wonderful meals with friends.

[​IMG]

and being back in PNW ..... Berry Pie (so funny how last year I shared some crazy pie photos on FB .... and know everyone knows that I like pie :)

[​IMG]

Really great Asparagus ....

[​IMG]

Then back to Portland to get ready to fly to Australia next week.

With time to reflect. It brings up the realities, at some point my adventure riding around the world will come to an end, and I will need to start a new chapter. That means deciding if I return to Portland or somewhere else, finding some type of meaningful and paid work, as I do not have the money to retire at this stage of my life.

It will be a time to move into the new chapter. For me, I have always known that this adventure is a chapter, and a new one awaits me at the end of this one. As I consider the possibilities ...... It is a bit scary but exciting at the same time. I worked in the electronic prepress and printing industry where I had a very successful career. Not only did I make a good living financially, but I really loved what I did. That industry has changed dramatically since I left it, and I will need to find something new to apply my talents. Being over 50 I realize that this will be much more difficult than in past years. I will need someone to "take a risk" on hiring me, even with a solid sales and employment history. But this is all somewhere in the future. I am a planner, so it is hard to not consider the times ahead for me!

How will I re-enter life? I have a home to return to..... but other than that, it is starting work and life over again.

While I was in DC . Met up with my friend from Florida, which did not turn out as I might have expected, but timing is everything and this was not the time. So I move onto this next part of my trip with a renewed sense of purpose and freedom to be open to new experiences, people, adventure!

As I get ready to fly off to Australia, find my motorbike, and explore Australia, I find it funny that it is a solo journey that I am on. I truly would rather being sharing my life with a special woman in a lifelong relationship, than going this journey solo. BUT I know that this is an amazing opportunity and I have connected with some really amazing people along the way, and that is worth any doubts that I might have.

Australia will mark the 24th month on my journey. I have not been gone from the US continuously, but I do not care. The three times I have been home have been great times for me to connect with friends, relax, restock some gear and then carry on.

The question comes up often. " how long will you continue?"

And I do not really know. At this point it is becoming a matter of how much money will I spend on this trip. Originally I set aside a chunk of money to do this with. I have about run out of this money and will need to decide how much more do I want to cash out of invested retirement money to keep traveling. I am a realist, it is much easier to earn money than to save it. But I have been a saver, and a financially conservative my whole life, and I would prefer not living on the street when I am done with this amazing chapter of my life.

After all this thinking it was time to enjoy the weather and a ride!!

Met a friend John for lunch, then rode out toward to Columbia river Gorge

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then taking back roads, up the Barlow Trail and part way up Lolo pass near mount Hood!

[​IMG]

Beautiful places to explore in the PNW!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then a ADV meet up in Portland!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and meeting up with my my coffee buddies and seeing some locals!!

[​IMG]

On another topic. Since I rode almost 180 miles yesterday, I had to get gas. WOW only 3.74 per gallon for super. after paying $6-7 per gallon of the past year..... it seems very cheap :D

[​IMG]

Just 4 more days in US. Got an email that my motorbike arrived in Sydney, and has passed Customs and Bio security and will be waiting for me to arrive! :clap

Just trying to relax a bit and rest up before my long plane flight down under!

6. REAPER_ONE

REAPER_ONE YOU'RE DONE

Oddometer:
    How is the ol' girl running? Is she the jealous type? You have been riding that skinny bitch so long... must have been an awkward reunion.

[​IMG]

Enjoy the Left Coast! Following. :devildog
  7. Radioman

Oddometer:
    She's running very well. I tad slow to start up, but running strong as ever.

Have 103K of riding my 1150GSA and I still like this bike! Riding her was great!
  8. rjmorel

rjmorel Dual Sporticus

Oddometer:
    Mark, how is the new Klien gear working out for you? You can hold off answering that if you planned on giving a in depth review latter on. I was just curious. Glad you took time to come back and smell the roses so to speak. rj
  9. moto74

moto74 displaced

Oddometer:
    Have just caught up with the recent weeks and read about your good work in Washington. Sorry that things didn't go as they might have with your friend... we never know what is around the next corner do we. Great to hear that your bike and Australia waits... at least for now. Ride safe.
  10. CTDan

CTDan Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just changed my profile... Where it says dream ride, mine now reads "Radioman's".

I'm finally caught up and you're taking time off??? Back on the saddle so I can live vicariously. !!!! :deal

I know you're making a difference with Alzheimer's, and you're making a difference in a lot of lives here too.

Ride safe.
    Dan
  11. Nixels

Nixels Face fears - live life

Oddometer:
    :wave Mark

Now that yer talkin' like a 'Merkin, you can go back Down Under and regale them with your accent. :lol3

:ricky
  12. Radioman

Oddometer:
    Thanks Dan! It has been great to share this ride with so many great people!!
  13. Radioman

Oddometer:
    Sitting at the Portland Airport, awaiting my flights heading to Australia. Long flights ahead..... But I am almost back on the road!!.

My bike is awaiting me in Sydney Australia..... and I will look forward to being back on this next part of my journey!! :ricky

Landing in Sydney, will catch up with some friends old and new and then figure out which way I will be riding :ricky No real plan, just some ideas and time to figure them out! One of the parts I like best is not having it all planned out...... Just taking each day at a time.
  14. Radioman

Oddometer:
    :wave Just the way it is right now. I carry on with great expectations of the things to unfold as I continue. Chin Up, thankful for the chance to be out on this ride of a lifetime.
  15. Ron from BC

Ron from BC Long timer

Oddometer:
    It has been sublime for sure Mark....I just got back after a week long jaunt along the WA coast then down to Portland through Jewel and Veronia. After picking up a few bits and pieces from Tigard BMW I thought of you when I saw a sign for the Lake Oswego turn off.

Carried on up the Gorge before turning north through the Wenatchee valley, Chelan then back to the coast via the spectacular SR20 Cascade route....

.....ya the PNW is hell at times eh....:clap

(I did indulge myself while in Portland by having lunch at the Euro Trash food truck....squid dog with anchovie fries with a spattering of garlic aoli..)
  16. RobBD

RobBD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That is looong flight across that puddle Mark- you'll be ready for a ride when you land. Head north head south choices choices beautiful whichever way you go.
    Looking forward to meeting you when you get to this West coast.
  17. TowPro

TowPro Single Track Geezer

Oddometer:
    Funny, I saw this on a Qantas airlines commercial yesterday.
    [​IMG]
  18. Idahosam

Idahosam Set Adrift

Oddometer:

For a nominal fee, but he's an ADV ride he's frugal. :D

So let's think "Radioman Down Under" instead of Quigley....

Mark watchout for the Crazy Cora's

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/xAYb30J_UOI" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="420"></iframe>

Go Mark Go! :clap
  19. Aarrff

Aarrff Gravel Grinder

Oddometer:
    Mark, looking forward to the Australia page in this chapter!
  20. Radioman

Oddometer:
    Waking up really early May 10th.... made it 51 years, who would have thought I would make it this long? Blessed to be healthy, strong and out seeing the world. New birthday, New country to explore, old and new friends to meet up with! Life is good.