The Yamaha TW200 Thread...

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by neepuk, Jan 10, 2009.

1. prsdrat

prsdrat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mr.Cobb. Did you ever figure out what was wrong with your TDubb?
    Curious minds.
  2. Mr. Cob

Mr. Cob Howling "Mad", Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Howdy prsdrat,

Its "Cob" not Cobb, I am a "Crabby old bastard not a Crabby old bald bastard. :deal :lol3

Yes, I did figure out what was wrong like a said it was a simple thing, the vent tubes had caked up with junk and purified old gas. I completely disassembled the carb, soaked it in carb cleaner, reset the floats as one side was lower then the other, reinstalled the carb and it now starts and runs pretty darn good for having sat for so long. It still stumbles a bit now and then but the more I run it the better it gets so with luck after a few more miles it will have cleared what ever junk may still be clogging the inner passages in the carb.
  3. frog13

frog13 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Was cleaning/re-oiling the air filter the other day and looked inside the left exterior cover(the cover you take off first prior to removing the air filter cover....make sense?.) where data for the bike is etc.. It read for fuel to use 91 RON...brain lock-up...explain please?.Are they indicating 91 octane....or does it depend on the "system" they are quoting/using ?.
  4. kubiak

kubiak Long timer

Oddometer:
    anyone running the replacement cheng shin c913 front tire on the tw and is it wider than the bridgestone or the same?in pictures it looks wider for some reason.
  5. PTC

PTC Turd polisher

Oddometer:
    I think it 85 or 86 octane rm2?
    anyway 87 octane is the same or higher than research octane method 91.
    The tw will probably run better on lower than 87 still.
  6. Sp4Mike

Sp4Mike Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Please share.
  7. Hercanstein

Hercanstein Torquey Turtle

Oddometer:
    Had 606 miles when I bought her 2 weeks ago . . . she's a 963 now . . . : )B Going for her first "double up ride in a few. pics are from up Granite hill road in Grants Pass, Oregon

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  8. frog13

frog13 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thank you for the reply....wish they would just leave the damn gas alone.
  9. hhenrie

hhenrie n00b

Oddometer:
    Have been looking and reading on the tw every since I got one in the beginning of May. Since then I have changed oil, swapped the front sprocket to a 15t, colman seat pad with memory foam, added an accessories plug, ultrasonic cleaned and rebuilt the carb with the keystone kit, shimmed the needle (didn't use the one in the kit) and have put over 2,000 miles to bring the grand total to over 7,000. Now the questions. Every since I rebuilt the carb I have a hick-up just off full throttle it does it every time once then thats it. When I am letting off the throttle to go into a turn the hick-up bothers me (and I just don't like it). Also what temperature with a non contact after a good highway run on the header where it comes out of the engine? And I would post pictures but I havent figured it out yet. 1999 with 5000 miles I gave $1,200 paint body like new.
  10. tdbmd

tdbmd Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So, I have a BW200 that I am thinking of selling and moving up to either the TW200 or the XT250.

There is a shop locally that has a new 2010 TW200. Is there any difference between the 2010 model and the more recent '12 or '13? I see that in the XT250, fuel injection is new. Any other reasons to look for a certain year?

Thanks.

P.S. This is my first post after lurking for awhile!
  11. Solomoriah

Solomoriah likes the back roads

Oddometer:
    Since the TW came out in '87, there has just been one model year where the hardware changed... 2000 or 2001, I can't remember which. The bike got a CV carb, an automatic cam chain tensioner, a front disc brake, and the kickstarter went bye-bye.

SO, no, 2010 is as good as anything. Mine's an '08, bought new in '09.
  12. tdbmd

tdbmd Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Is the TW more stable on the gravel roads and trails than a skinnier tire bike? Much of what we do is farm/ranch work, checking fences, finding cows etc. Lots of ranch roads and gravel roads. The BW is fine at low speeds but gets a little "funny" above 30-35 mph, it seems.
  13. NJ-Brett

NJ-Brett Brett Supporter

Oddometer:
    Its the most stable easiest to ride bike I ever had in sand/mud, and does ok on the street at 70 mph.

What it does not like as much as some other bikes is going really fast over very rough stuff.
    (I did it anyway)

I did 600 miles in the sand mud around here and did not fall down one time on the TW, a record!

14. tdbmd

tdbmd Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That is good to hear. I would anticipate minimal on-road use, but we do have a lot of gravel/dirt roads, sand and even the single track 'cow trail"! The BW is OK for the low speed, off road stuff, but not as much fun at speed, especially if the road is rutted. Those big tires are great in soft stuff.
  15. assquatch20

assquatch20 Long timer

Oddometer:
    2010-present is likely identical outside of colors. One thing that does change that nobody gets notified about is the electrics. The 87 was unique upon itself for the CDI, and there have been 2 or 3 more slight shifts in stators and whatnot since. They just hold slightly different spec values. 2006-07 you'll probably get a leaky base gasket, due to improper material.

Save the money and get the 2010, anyhow. I'll take the BW off your hands.
  16. tdbmd

tdbmd Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I posted a photo of the BW over on the BW thread. Not sure if it has been posted yet.
  17. FootDoc

FootDoc Gas it

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Planning to do my oil cooler this weekend:
    B&M Billet trans cooler
    stainess braided fuel line 3/8"
    stainless hose clamps
    and the famous Lzrdcooler adapter.
    Damn my workbench is a f'in mess.

[​IMG]
  18. AtlasExp

AtlasExp beer me

Oddometer:
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/h1DX7GX-VDE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    Tried my TW in the woods after 3 days heavy rains! No problem to go as deep as 3 feet deep water or any mud! Love it!!!!! Need more dirt now!!!
  19. tdbmd

tdbmd Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Cool video. Thanks for posting
  20. prsdrat

prsdrat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I particularly enjoyed the action shots.