Why do riders park their bikes on sidewalks at hotels?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by Disco Stu, Nov 4, 2013.

1. toy4fun

toy4fun GET out of the way

Oddometer:
    someofuseneedsomewarmmilkandaniceplacetolaydown.
  2. fallingoff

fallingoff Banned

Oddometer:
    Sorry
    Worst post of the day
    I suppose it's the difference
    Between cold and hot milk.
    Lol
    Cheers
  3. ZaethDekar

ZaethDekar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    At my local mall they don't mind if you park in the striped sections at the end of the parking row, unless it is a handicapped area. If you park in any of the handicapped areas stripes you get a warning, then a ticket, then it gets towed.

I like their policy.
  4. Petzl

Petzl Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My bike gets scared and lonely so it wants to be close...
  5. millican

millican Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've seen enough of guys in wheelchairs and women with strollers have to go around a car (almost always a pickup for some reason) or motorcycle parked on the sidewalk. It really makes the motorcyclist look like a total self-centered douche-bag. (Doesn't being a douche-bag make you more likely to be vandalized?) I've found that when I do park in a spot, there are often other bikes in the same spot when I come back out. That's fine with me.
  6. dbg326

dbg326 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'll usually park in normal spaces, but I in no way see it as a self-centered, douche move if someone parks on the sidewalk, provided that pedestrian traffic is unhampered. Most European countries have this down pretty well. Filtering, bike friendly parking, better beer, better coffee.........hmmmm.
  7. Vankaye

Vankaye n00b on the move

Oddometer:
    Why do riders park their bikes on sidewalks at hotels?

Same reason people park in the loading zone at Home Depot. They have a false self-importance that allows them to think that their own needs exceed the needs of the 'other customers'

You know the 'other customers', they're the ones that parked in marked parking spot.

So when I'm loading my $400-$500 worth of project purchases in the loading zone I may or may not have room to be there... Because mister high and mighty will only be a couple of minutes.

Just like when I arrive at a hotel, late at night, in the rain, I will have to walk around the bikes on the side walk while carrying my families luggage and two sleeping kids... Because the needs of the bike owner seemingly far exceed my needs - you know who I am... I'm the guy who parked in the parking spot with the white lines.

I don't care who you think you are. The parking lot is for everybody. You ain't special. I guarantee it!
  8. Red9

Red9 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The only fail in your logic is.... the loading zone at Home Depot is marked as a loading zone and no parking unless you are loading is permitted.

The sidewalks we are parking on do not say no parking. In fact in some cases are marked as available to park a bike on. And... if you would upgrade your reading comprehension just a tad you will read where riders are asking permission to park at the hotels.

And just so's you know it.... I am more important than you.
  9. joexr

joexr Banned

Oddometer:
    And you're not a whiner.:lol3
  10. Disco Stu

Disco Stu Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've had that happen to me. I usually park to one side of the spot, in case another motorcycle wants to park there.

But occasionally at the university, asshats have just parked at the end of the parking spot, blocking me in. When that has happened, I move the bike until it's out of my way, then ride off. Sometimes that has meant leaving the bike in the middle of the lane.
  11. Sun Ray

Sun Ray Polyglottic Moran

Oddometer:
    It depends on the space. Usually if I'm not impending pedestrians, service carts etc, then it makes sense, plus you can always strike up a conversation with a stranger which is always fun, and instead of occupying a full car spot someone else can have that spot. Regarding supermarkets and box stores, I only do that when I know beyond the shadow of a doubt that I won't make anyone mad, it's safe to do so and in doesn't impede carts and pedestrians.
  12. Farmer1

Farmer1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here and there, but usually, leaving Illinois
    I always ask. I have never been turned down. And I never park in anyones way even on the sidewalk.

This summer in Co. Springs, Co. my son and I stayed at the Drury on the north end of town for 2 nites. I asked the clerk if I could park the truck and trailer kinda sideways in 2 and 1/2 slots at the end of the row at the back of the building and leave it for 2 nites. Yes, no problem. Under our window and under a light. Bikes locked to trailer and trailer to the truck.

Heck some places the cleck, noticed I was on the bike, gave me ground floor with level access to the door and no curb and said you wont have any trouble here but we understand if you want to bring it in your room tonight.

jailor8
  13. Sun Ray

Sun Ray Polyglottic Moran

Oddometer:
    Did you? :D
  14. fallingoff

fallingoff Banned

Oddometer:
    you really don' t get it.
    you park the bike in a way it leaves room for wheelchairs etc.
    the loading dock.
    well there are always pigs in the world
    cheers
  15. BruceI

BruceI Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nicely said! :clap
  16. wjpjump

wjpjump Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Think as long as its not obstructing anyone. No problem.
    A dick can be a dick no matter what they drive.
  17. fallingoff

fallingoff Banned

Oddometer:
    Yes
    Good post
    Cheers
  18. DOGSROOT

DOGSROOT OUTSIDE

Oddometer:

Snarky reply my arse!!

(That was a sarcastic snarky response.)

I'm the fucker who replied to you.

And, as much as I think it's lame to quote oneself...

If you look at what you list as your Location: all will be clear. :rofl

FWIW, I park (unobtrusively) on sidewalks every day to avoided turds in cages fucking up my bike and splitting.
  19. Disco Stu

Disco Stu Long timer

Oddometer:
    It appears that your first sarcastic snarky response must have been the highlight of your intellectual abilities.:asshat
  20. Bill-66

Bill-66 The End of the Republic is upon us... Supporter

Oddometer:
    The fail in your logic is..is what he is saying, is people are parking in the loading zone...so you can't load your shit....there is always some dumbfuck, who thinks he deserves it..

The fail in your logic is..it's called a sidewalk..not a sidepark, does it really need a sign, to tell the simple it's a sidewalk, or at some point, should that be a given?

Lemme guess, Harley?