Official Nighthawk thread

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by eteller, Dec 24, 2006.

1. Deadly

Deadly Asphalt Adventurer!

Oddometer:

Hmmm.. I'll make note of that.

I checked out your website, congrats on the new 650GS I really like that bike (the Kawasaki Versys is nice too). :thumb

If the WeeHawk were worth anything I would quite making stuff for it then sell it to get one myself.
  2. Chadzilla

Chadzilla Lvl 80 Epic Dwarf Hunter

Oddometer:
    Thought I would pipe in and say that I am new here.... new to nighthawks, and new to streetbikes in general. I rode dirtbikes many years ago, and have recently found new love in a 2002 Nighthawk 750.

My dilemma is that I need a trunk and saddlebags for it and am having great difficulty in finding anything that can just fit the bike.

I drive the bike to work, but also use it for errands and whatnot, so some storage would be very nice. Also, at 65+ mph, the headlight does not shine out far enough for me to see to be able to dodge debris in the road. I was thinking of adding some driving lights.

Thanks for any help in advance!
  3. nicolis

nicolis n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi guys,

I just bought a 2003 Nighthawk, with 900 (!) miles on it. It's terrific.

I am desperately looking for the Givi wingrack fitting kit. I think the part number is Y146. Apparently Givi does not make it anymore.

Do you guys know how to find it, new or used?
    Alternatively, I might try the ``universal'' fitting kit, which supposedly fits any bike. Does anyone have any experience with that---does it fit the nighthawk 750?

Thanks for your help,
    Cheers.
    Adventurer. likes this.
  4. ExTex

ExTex Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  5. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    An Odyssey PC 535 will fit. I have one in my brother's bike from my BMW R1200GS. It works great for him, though it was getting a bit tired in my bike.

Jim :brow
  6. Slayer

Slayer Vier Japanische Kolben

Oddometer:
  7. Slayer

Oddometer:
    Would these help you any? http://www.overstock.com/Sports-Toys/Leather-Motorcycle-Tour-Pack/2087444/product.html?

Great price and the reviews look good.

As for the headlight.... are you sure you are only going 65 mph? The speed of light is 186,000 miles per second per second. Perhaps you are closer to that if you are out running your light. :lol3
  8. alcontrast

alcontrast at least I'm trying

Oddometer:
    I miss my nighthawk and if I see one locally for the right price I would totally buy one again. I like the f650 a good deal but the nighthawk is a great comfortable bike for the money and the simplicity of maintenance is great. Just changing the oil on the f650 requires un-bolting body panels, unbolting the oil tank draining two tanks (oil tank and sump), an internal oil filter and it's cover, and rigging a drainage troth for removing the oil filter without oil draining down the side of your engine. good times.
  9. beardking

beardking Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Unfortunately, I too will be missing my Nighthawk soon. Really have been since the last week of July when I laid it down. But, since then the insurance declared it a total loss and they are supposed to be coming to get it tomorrow afternoon. Luckily I won't be there to see it go (sounds cheesy, but kind of true).

The good thing is that if everything goes right, I will be upgrading (or at least I hope it's an upgrade) to a Honda 919 (CB900f, so I'm staying close to the family) by the end of next week.
  10. Smithy

Smithy Avoiding the Skid-Demon

Oddometer:

It's a 20A alternator, so that means 240 Watts. The headlight is 55w, running lights another 15 or so (W.A.G. here) so that leaves you 170w leftover. I run a Darien heated vest no problem... but if I kick on my additional 110w of aux lights, I have to turn off the vest. Be seen or be warm, in my case. A stock setup will run vest and grips just fine I think... just count up the watts.
  11. Deadly

Oddometer:
  12. Deadly

Oddometer:

I get in the mood to sell mine every once in a while and Im in one of those moods now but, ..... you guys are making feel kind of bad about the idea.
  13. Slayer

Oddometer:
    Here you go...

Attached Files:

14. Slayer

Oddometer:
    As you can in this pic, they stick out about 2 inches further than stock and sit about an inch higher. They are not near the quality of the originals (weight wise and being as vibration resistant) but for the price you can't go wrong.

I cannot believe you are considering selling your NH. After all the sweat (blood, tears?) you've put into it?

Attached Files:

15. Deadly

Oddometer:

I told my wife I was thinking of selling the bike and she just rolled her eyes at me. I spent almost $1,000 on it this past winter upgrading the suspension and a few other things. If and when I sell it though everything goes with it including the trailer I pull behind it once in a while.

I have not listed it publicly other than in my signature on a couple of message boards.
  16. beardking

beardking Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had actually been considering putting mine up for sale lately because I was wanting something newer and a little more powerful (probably a bad idea on the power). Had the "mishap" before I could decide and it was decided for me. The good thing is I bought my Nighthawk for $1400 last year because it needed carb work. The insurance is giving me $2500 for it, so I made $1100 profit AND got a full year of riding experience on a nearly flawless bike. Works good all the way around.
  17. tshepp

tshepp n00b

Oddometer:
    I've had it for a year now[​IMG] and try to ride every chance I can get!
  18. tshepp

tshepp n00b

Oddometer:
    I've had it for a year now[​IMG] and try to ride every chance I can get!
  19. Lee Keller King

Lee Keller King Adventurer Wannabe Supporter

Oddometer:
    So, I don't have my NH yet. I'm stuck between two bikes and hope to make a decision and pick one up tomorrow (Payday!).

Bike 1 is a 1982 CB650SC with 15,000 miles. I met the owner on a local board and he is selling to make room for a newer, larger bike (looking at Suzuki Bandit 1200s). It has a new chain and good tires and he rides it on a regular basis. His mechanic says it needs a new rotor in the charging system, but he'll do the install for $25 if I supply the part. I'm taking a test drive later today. He will let me have it for $1,300, which is more than KBB but the bike is well cared for.

Bike 2 is a 1992 CB750SC with 21,000 miles, from an owner who posted it on Craigslist but got no takers. He has reduced the price from $2,200 to $1,500 and will probably take less (he is being transferred out of the country by his employer). The bike needs a new chain soon (and probably new sprockets), has good tires and no major dings (bad spot on seat at right front about 1/2 inch wide). Not a regular rider but started right up when I looked at it yesterday.

Both bikes are blue, but Bike 2 doesn't have the Honda logo on the tank.

So which one do I take? Argghhh.... This was easier when I had only ONE bike to choose from! :eek1

Help me, group mind! Help me!

(Photo is Bike 2)
  20. Lee Keller King

Lee Keller King Adventurer Wannabe Supporter

Oddometer:
    Here is a photo of Bike 1 (the 650).