Moto Guzzi Norge first impressions

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Scott of the Sahara, Aug 4, 2010.

1. jdgretz

jdgretz Looking for new places Supporter

Oddometer:
    Canoga Park - A great place to live work and shop
    From the Wildguzzi.com web site

jdg
  2. cleatusj

cleatusj Dirt floor engineer

Oddometer:
    Thanks JDG
  3. radguzzi

radguzzi The Journey is the Reward

Oddometer:
    Ditto...
  4. g®eg

g®eg world's fastest drone

Oddometer:
    I think it's back....
  5. cpallen

cpallen Nearly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Not quite:

WildGuzzi.com update 09-26-12: I have located the latest backup and am in the process of restoring the website to its entirety to a new host. Depending on the length of time it takes to do the migration, the current estimate is to be back online by 09-28-12. Thanks, Luap
  6. R59

R59 they call me Rocker

Oddometer:
    weird stuff is happening with it. I got a PM notification email from WildGuzzi today, but of course, I can't access it because the site is down...
  7. Scott of the Sahara

Scott of the Sahara Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looks like I won't make the October Breakfast in Enumclaw, this month. I have work.
  8. joe cool

joe cool Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bump! It took a pic axe and two shovels to unearth this thread.
    Here is a pic from a couple weeks ago.

[​IMG]
  9. COG-528

COG-528 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The Norge seems to be the ultimate, low attention, niche model. Even on Wild Guzzi you hardly ever see comments or discussion about the Norge.
    RandM likes this.
  10. jdgretz

Oddometer:
    Fortunately, like most Guzzis, it's a rock solid performer with very few real issues. The early '07s had/have some things to watch for, but for the most part, it's a ride it and enjoy it machine. What maintenance there is, is simple to do and has no drama attached to it.

At 35K mine just keeps running better and better. Just checked the valves (last adjustment was at 12.5) and the exhaust valves were .001 loose. I plan to change the inner spark plugs at 50K just because, although they are probably good until close to 100K.

Photos and write up on my 1700 miles in three days run up to Northern California can be found here if you are bored and have nothing better to do.

The Norge does garner more than her fair share of attention whenever and where ever she is parked. They are such rare bikes that they are always a center for discussion and questions. You can't be an introvert and own a Norge.

jdg
  11. COG-528

COG-528 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    From what I've read on Wild Guzzi the electrical wiring is the minimum that might do the job. Specifically the wiring to the starter solenoid and can end up leaving you trying to bump start your motor. I would have thought that MG would have improved their electrics after all these years. I didn't buy a Guzzi back in the mid 1980s because a Guzzi mechanic warned me they were prone to electrical problems.

http://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=43725.0
  12. jdgretz

Oddometer:
    It is indeed an "interesting" issue. I've had the click-no-start issue a couple of times, but it seems to have been more related to still having the original '07 battery in place (which finally gave up the ghost two days ago). I have done the modification just to be on the safe side, so it's not a big deal. All bikes have some idiosyncrasies - sort of the nature of the beast.

At least it's not Lucas electrical :D

jdg
  13. wannaklr

wannaklr Long timer

Oddometer:
    I called my local Guzzi store about a Norge, and he said not yet they are having some issue with the cylinders. Anyone hear anything like that? He's a pretty knowledgable guy and did some work on my 03 LeMans.
  14. jdgretz

Oddometer:
    Hadn't heard that from anyone on GuzziTech or Wild Guzzi. It's pretty much the same motor that has been in the Griso for the last year or so, the 2011 Norge, and the Stelvio, so I can't imagine what he's talking about. Other dealers have been getting and selling the 2012 Norges, but I don't know of anyone who has a 2013 Norge yet.

jdg
  15. radguzzi

radguzzi The Journey is the Reward

Oddometer:
    Doesn't Kev from WG go on to state that the battery seemed to be the issue with his Breva....?

Cleaning the battery terminals helped but the battery was old...? New battery, no issue...!

You call that electrical problems...? ? ? I do not call that prone to electrical issues...

Good thing you didn't buy that Guzzi back in '80... :lol3
  16. LostViking

LostViking Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just got my first video look at the updated Norge, Wow, all I can say is, it looks like they took an already fine bike and fine tuned it into something extra sweet.

Very, Very, Nice
  17. COG-528

COG-528 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Actually Kev from Wild Guzzi chose to run wiring directly from his battery to the starter. That suggests to me that he feels the wiring loom has a fault from the factory.

May be you haven't seen all the discussions about the electrical problems causing not starting. Here is a thread from August 2012.
    Sparatic no start

I'd love to see even anecdotal evidence that the problem is only with the early year Brevia/Norges.
  18. ddddd

ddddd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My 2012 Norge runs beautifully, no problems. As far as electrical issues , I believe that's on older models
  19. joe cool

joe cool Long timer

Oddometer:
    ddddd,
    When are we going to see some pics of your Norge?
  20. davevv

davevv One more old rider

Oddometer:
    My '08 Norge never exhibited this problem. I did install the mod about six months before I sold the bike though, just because it seemed like a good idea and it was really simple. It was a very reliable machine. Never a problem in two years and 14k miles.