Garmin zumo - the ultimate Bike SatNav?

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by KTMBill, Sep 28, 2006.

1. Hotspice

Hotspice Satellites not acquired Supporter

Oddometer:
    In Colorado I looked like Evil Knievel. My settings were at something like 100 ft and with all the twists in the road it looked like I was jumping from apex to apex :lol3
  2. DeSoto

DeSoto Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You probably don't know this one, but the big upgrade I would like to see available is the Zumo being able to utilize the nexrad overlay. Do you think this would be a software issue or new hardware needed? You would already have the XM antenna and radio.

The best way to sell stuff is the Harley way. Sell you the basics, then really charge you for the accessories.:lol3
  3. SteveAZ

SteveAZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well all this Zumo banter has been interesting to say the least. And I have given the unit a passing thought, but after all this, I'm completely convinced it's not a unit for me.

Now this is just me, I'm going to have my own wants and needs. It may be a perfect unit for others.

If it was inexpensive enough to simply leave on the moto all the time - it might be ok for that. OTOH, if that were the case, there would prolly be others inexpensive enough that would be better for me.

To each his own, but for dusty moto duty (typical out here in AZ), I'm very against touch screens in the first place and it's one thing that turned me off right away.

If I'm going to go XM, I want Nexrad *and* traffic.

I don't want GPS-lite; I really want a full featured unit. Even more so if it's going to serve other duties besides the moto. Since this is an expensive unit [in my book], it needs to do so. When I saw that screen shot that gave a selection for position format that didn't include UTM - that was enough to seal the fate *for me*.

While QVGA (320 X 240) is realistically "enough", more is better except that the smaller pixels in the higher resolution displays don't do as well outdoors. The touch screen (did I mention I don't like 'em? :D ) likely makes it comparable though. But the more resolution they have, the more they help reduce the need to refer to paper maps.

My background is very strong in navigation in general (land, air and sea) and GPS in particular (I am a product manager for a GPS company) and this likely taints my view - especially in regards to not preferring a GPS-lite; at least not an expensive one.

So I feel good now. I can stop thinking about the Zumo at all and wait and see what's next on the horizon. Although if the 378/478 or the 496 included traffic - I would just possibly pull the trigger.... :deal
  4. karmatourer

karmatourer STD free

Oddometer:
    w/o XM,Greentooth,ect.
    Let me upgrade when/if I want.
  5. walrond

walrond Earth Wanderer

Oddometer:
    SteveAZ, You say you want a Feature Heavy unit, but I have to ask why? Will you actually use those features, or do you want them just in case? I realize that by being a product manager for a GPS company, you might actually use some feature that the average person might not even want to touch, but how realistic is it?

I am getting excited about the Zumo. I was leaning towards a 376 but didn't want the bulk and I knew I wouldn't use half the features. When I heard about the zumo, it peaked my interest.

From what has been described, the Zumo has a lot of features but the ease of navigation of the "GPS-lite" units. I can't describe the Zumo as a "GPS-lite" unit simply because it can do so much. So many of it's users, including me, want an easy to operate unit that has the capability to do more that we would are probably going to use anyway. I think the majority of users are going to want:
    • To be able to plan a route on the computer and upload to the device.
    • To be able to download routes to the computer from a device.
    • A unit that speaks the street names.
    • A unit that is easy to take on and off their motorcycle without the hassle of a lot of wires.
    • A unit that supports traffic warnings and redirects as such.
    • A unit that does not require you to take off your gloves to operate.
    Bonuses are:
    • Bluetooth and the ablility to tie into a BT product in the future. For me this is big. Although I won't talk on my phone while riding, at least I would know that a call came through and who is was from. That way I an determine if I want to stop and call them back or keep riding.
    • The ability to upload topo maps for the occasions when I might need one.
    • Entering my own POI.
    • The ability to play MP3 music format. I love listening to music when I ride.
    I know I have missed some as I did this list from the top of my head. But really what percentage of people change the format for latitude and longitude? It has got to be low.
  6. PhilSpace

PhilSpace The Ex-Gov

Oddometer:
    Change the voice. There are male one as well as a sexy female Brit voice? :dunno
  7. dmac57

dmac57 Long timer

Oddometer:
    But not transparent to your wallet.
  8. SteveAZ

SteveAZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Easy Hoss! Don't be so quick to assume....

Our products do not compete with Garmin in any way shape or form and do not play in the consumer market at all. In fact, they are typically used for equipment automation and 98+% lack any kind of graphical user interface. We do almost the opposite end of the spectrum from Garmin; high dynamics, high update, high precision (much higher cost).

In all interests of disclosure, I do own Garmin stock however. :D

So if I have an agenda, it would be to promote Garmin products! :deal

Although I hope Garmin never decides to play in our markets. Kinda doubtful as our markets are too nichey and well outside of their core competencies.

I only mention it in passing since it quite likely does make me different than many other users in what I want and need in a GPS. There are other factors that are likely much more influential that make me different than the "casual" user.

Absolutely! I use UTM format frequently for example; it's much easier to work with when you are correlating to USGS maps. It is also much easier to work with when planning "relative" work on foot or boat. I find it is much easier to memorize a point in UTM coordinates. There are very few features on the 276C that I have that don't get used; I can't think of *any* right off, but I'm sure there are one or two! :evil

To be honest, I think you have it a bit backwards. Before working in the GPS industry, I was using all kinds of electronic navigation. I have been a pilot for over two decades, strapped some of the very first commercial GPS's onto DP motos when you sometimes still had to wait for enough satellites (guessing around '94)! I think the understanding of all the details is what led me to the industry, not the other way around. I have been a map and compass guy since my teens and I think that more than anything leads me to the feature desire.

I don't find the 376 form factor the least bit bulky. Have you held one? Slipped it in your front pocket? It easily drops into the front pocket of any pair of pants I own; dress, outdoor, moto, shorts. I consider it amazingly small for the capabilities and screen. Have you ever seen the old Magellan "brick"? :lol3

My list is *very* different than yours.

Again, one point I'd like to make is that these are all (at least for me) expensive units and so I can't own a fleet of them. I usually try to have two units at my disposal. The vehicle unit (right now a 276C) that can be used on motos, cars, boats, and as backup in aircraft. A handheld that can backup the vehicle unit and be suitable for use on foot (a 60CS presently). My 276C is used just about everyday. I have mounts for both on my GS. I like being able to put lots of numeric data on the smaller unit and use the large unit for mapping.

I actually need and have had to use backup units. Why? Have you ever kayaked at night? Hiked (or moto'd) the open desert at night? You can get pretty screwed up if you have one unit and it fails. I had this happen on a kayak at night once when an antenna got water in it. I fortunately had a spare antenna in a dry bag. But it made me realize how screwed I would have been if I hadn't and I never do things like that anymore without a backup unit. I have since had the need while retrieving a stateside cache after a trip to Mexi. The moto unit crapped from vibration (a 176). Fortunately I memorized the last few digits (in UTM format of course!) of the cache. At night it is pretty much the only way to get back to a remote base camp if you can't see it.

I like the 276C. If it were an ideal world, I would like my vehicle unit to have all the features of the 276C and to include full featured weather, including Nexrad, lightning, satellite, surface temps, winds/temperatures aloft, forecasts, surface pressure, etc. But I want my cake and to eat it to. I want traffic on top of all that!!!

I would like a somewhat larger display with a similar pixel density. Make it better in the daylight. Buttons in the right (that would be the left or below) place. I think I would like the screen better in portrait orientation. Much larger track memory that includes the timestamp and doesn't "compress" when saved.

On the PC side, I would like the ability to edit the maps.

I don't care at all about Bluetooth. I really don't care about MP3. I don't want it to take pictures or play movies. I guess I'm just a bit of a luddite with this kinda stuff.
  9. karmatourer

karmatourer STD free

Oddometer:
    Give me an inexpensive Zumo-I'll talk when I get off the bike.
  10. KTMBill

KTMBill KTM Billy

Oddometer:
    I just cant concentrate on zumos when your tits are bouncing up and down like that! Sod the zumo, I'll buy your tits....:freaky
  11. karmatourer

karmatourer STD free

Oddometer:
    but it's always good to watch,huh?And maybe participate,if invited.
  12. frewhl

frewhl daily rider

Oddometer:
    Did you happen to ask about the 60 series autorouting capabilities?
  13. Dolly Sod

Dolly Sod I want to do right, but not right now Supporter

Oddometer:

Maybe Garmin will make the the difference between the 60 series, and the 76 series it's ability to do full parameter outrouting like the 276.. I mean hell right now there seems to be no reason to get a 76cx over 60cx..
  14. GARider

GARider Wandering Thru Life

Oddometer:
    I have a few questions.
    1: If I understand correct it will put the phone, directions for turns and MP3 in stereo throught Bluetooth but not XM radio. So if you are using a Bluetooth head set how do you use the XM.

2: I like alot of other people have more than one bike and want to move it from bike to bike. If I want to use a wired head set and run it throught a intercom will it put everything through the audio out plug.

3: If all you want to use is the XM and not the weather or traffic can you use the standard XM antenna, $268.00 is a little pricey.

4: One last question about using a bluetooth phone. If you are not using a bluetooth head set and running it through a wired intercom will the phone go bluetooth to the GPS then out through the audio plug.

thanks Roger
  15. SteveAZ

SteveAZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    LOL

Give it up man! You really makin' me laugh. :lol3

I really did ask them the question about the female voice (joking of course; at least I have a sense of humor!). It was when I first got the 276 - mebbe three years ago. I was having other issues with it. It's not perfect fer sure and there were plenty of bugs in the early s/w releases.

You ask them. I think I already got it. I'm not the one that needs a better understanding. LOL...
  16. frewhl

frewhl daily rider

Oddometer:
    I am a profesional and I have already asked that question.I don't plan to waste their time because you are pissing all over this issue.

IF YOU DO NOT INSTALL SOFTWARE ON A 60 SERIES , IT WILL NOT AUTOROUTE.

Now , if on a slow day,they ask,"is there anything else I can help you with today?", I might say,what about this,but I already know the answer.
    I swear,I have two of them and they do not autoroute out of the box.

You leave me wondering if you know enough about gps to conduct your business and how did you ever get your boats ,planes,and dual sports back.
  17. dmac57

dmac57 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Uh huh... :flip :boid :dizave :ken :fyyff
  18. GARider

GARider Wandering Thru Life

Oddometer:
    Thanks Lowflyer. They really do need to get the XM coming throught the Bluetooth. It should have a option for MP3 or XM that is switchable on screen.

Roger
  19. SteveAZ

SteveAZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    You are wrong.

No maps or anything else on my 60CS and it autoroutes with the basemap (like advertised) just fine.

Go eat some pie...

LOL. Are you trolling or are you just stu.... challenged? :lol3
  20. frewhl

frewhl daily rider

Oddometer:
    hey you stupid fool,do I look like a troll.There are a couple of other threads about the 60 right now,and which software to get,cs and cn will auto route.without those,you better have wings.

so f... you in the pie hole

and I will still come here to admit I am wrong,if that was the case.