The Complete KLX250/KLX300 Long Term Review Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by bmwhd, Dec 2, 2005.

1. James Parus

James Parus Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I made the marcelino cam mod today for the intake cam only. It clearly changes the engine behavior and intake sound. it pulls better, hard to explain, but it feels more like a dirtbike.

more fun to ride, no doubt.

EDIT: rode some dirt roads... This thing hauls now. it goes very well. I also did some more low speed techical terrain and noticed the engine tendency to stumble has been eliminated. it stays running with less throttle and clutch slipping.
  2. StandingRoomOnly

StandingRoomOnly n00b

Oddometer:
    In what ways did it change the intake sound? Any air box mods?
  3. James Parus

James Parus Adventurer

Oddometer:
    intake mods: KDX snorkel. Nothing else.

Can't really describe how it has changed. it is just little different sounding. Maybe little more dirtbike style sound.
  4. DurtDevil

DurtDevil Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Early step on diagnosing the misfiring on my bike at higher RPMs, was suggested to check spark plug color. I picked up a new one already, just assuming the existing one needs replacing. But i can't get at the plug in my bike with the extension bits I have, an extension part from the socket, a twisting angle adjuster, and the long socket itself... Tank in the way to get any downward pressure on plug (Clarke 2.8). Haven't taken a tank off before. First time for everything I guess... Is there a trick to swapping out plug or is pulling the tank the easiest way? If so, steps listed out anywhere on how to remove tank? Still the NOOB 4 years in...
  5. Rob.G

Rob.G Mostly Harmless

Oddometer:
    Pulling the tank is not hard. Remove the side panels and the seat. Remove the one bolt holding the tank down under the seat. Remove the bolt on each side of the tank that you should be able to see through one of the holes in the tank side. Be sure the petcock is turned off. Disconnect fuel line from tank to carburetor. Lift tank off bike.

Rob
  6. Lutz

Lutz Fuzzy Rabbit

Oddometer:
    The spark plug is pretty easy to change with the tank on, even with the big Acerbis tank like I've got, if you use the OEM tool kit. If you don't have the OEM tools, then yeah, pull the tank. It's not hard.
  7. Prophex

Prophex Adventurer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

DRC Edge tail light kit. (You'll have to buy new single-bolt blinkers aswell.)
  8. FIDOLLAZ

FIDOLLAZ Dirty D

Oddometer:
    Anyone local to nj have the seat concepts or any wide seat i can sit on????
    ::ear:ear:ear:clap
  9. mikezx10

mikezx10 Happy hooligan!

Oddometer:
    Yo fidollaz, it depends on how local.... I'm in the Spring Valley area often.:D
  10. jules083

jules083 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Going to look at one, might pull the trigger if the money is right.

Trying to downsize bikes and split the difference between my klr650 and xr650r. Seem like a good choice? Give up a little highway (klr) and a little high speed off-road (xrr) for a better all around bike I think.

I'm small btw, 5'9" and 150lbs. Both of my 650's are kind of a handful

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
  11. De250r

De250r Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Im your size and love the way my klx fits me . Ive ridden big 600s. They r just to heavy for me to man handle and kick start sucks. You are gonna miss the torque of those thumpers tho I do. I have way more fun on my klx do to being very confident on it that it's not trying to throw me off and it's very manageable. I did ride a buddies gas gas 300 and that gave me the 2t itch again. Super feather weight feeling. So I'm building my klx a stable mate. 200lb air cooled kdx200 motor in a kx250f chassis I picked up. How awesome will this look sitting next to my 250s. She will b relieved of serious trail thrashing an kept hi geared for commute an back roading/trail riding. [​IMG]

Sent from the back woods of vt via patchy Internet
    Live free and ride hard
  12. De250r

De250r Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Is the misfire due to the regulator needing to be grounded closer to itself as discovered by someone on this huge thread. I've got the same stumble and thought jetting. Then I read about the regulator thing and assume that's what mine is doing. It interferes with my iPod music when it skips anything it only skips at 6-7k so it only when cruising when u want music. At trail riding its not as bad because there is so much revving and gear changes. Have u searches or heard about the regulator skip?

Live free and ride hard
  13. De250r

De250r Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My how this thread grows

Live free and ride hard
  14. DurtDevil

DurtDevil Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This is the first i've heard of it, but it sounds very similar. Engine fine down low, gets troublesome up high. Will plug into my 12vcharger and use my headphones on a test run tonight. Thanks.
    Also, tried using the OEM tool to get the plug out last night, but the wings of the Clarke 2.8 stick down just far enough to be in the way... so i will taking the tank off for the first time later this week... about time i pushed my mechanic limits a bit on this bike. I do miss zinging the engine off the limiter every once in a while...
  15. jules083

jules083 Long timer

Oddometer:

Thanks. This one is a leftover 2012, $4500 out the door. I'm buying it.

16. De250r

De250r Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I bought my 10 in 2011 for 3999. They had that price on a 09 but sold it on me so they gave me the 10 for the same. . Cheap transportation. Enjoy.

Live free and ride hard
  17. jules083

jules083 Long timer

Oddometer:
    It is cheap transportation. Heading out on the test ride here in a few, hopefully it lives up to my expectations. It's rainy out here, just planning some pavement and a bit of gravel to try it out. Maybe a little bit of dirt.

18. IDRIDR

IDRIDR Take me to the River

Oddometer:
    Blow the spark plug well out with compressed air before removing the plug. DAMHIK.

Sent from my C771
  19. jules083

jules083 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm heading out to the garage with some quality beverages to sit and stare at it now, but here's a few pictures I took today. I'll write something here in a bit from the garage on my phone. Needed the computer to put the pics up.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  20. jules083

jules083 Long timer

Oddometer:
    So after the first 70 miles, I'm happy with it.

It's way down on power compared to my xr, and probably even my klr. The motor seems like it's begging for a better exhaust though, I imagine there's more hiding in there somewhere. For now I'm not too worried about it. It will get me wherever I want to go. Maybe later on.

Suspension actually seems pretty good for what it is. A bit stiff on the road but thats expected. Felt good in the dirt so far. I'll know more when the trails dry up some. It was very slippery today, I didn't want to get too crazy.

The bike itself is much easier to handle than my xr. There were a few spots where the xr would have been a handful and the klx made it easy. I know the weight is very close but the klx feels a lot smaller and lighter.

On the road, it's not exactly a klr but seemed to be fine for me. I don't like riding highway anyways, and try to avoid it whenever possible. Had it to 60 once and it wasn't getting buzzy yet. Didn't want to push it too hard being a new motor and all. I doubt it will hold 75+mph like the klr can without wringing it out though. Much better in every way here compared to the xr. Not even close.

Overall I'm impressed with it. I know it will do just fine replacing the xrr, and I don't think I'll miss the klr much. My gsxr is going to get commuter duty I think, that honor used to belong to the klr. Hard to say yet though.

I'm halfway looking at future mods right now. Seat concepts seat is pretty high on the list. After that ims tank, skid plate, get rid of the aweful rear fender before I break it off, bark busters, and figure out luggage. I might have stuff here for luggage, need to spend some time test fitting and see what works.

Now I have a huge thread to read, try and learn more about this thing. My pre-purchase research was a bit less than usual. I basically saw the prices, knew it was a pretty good dual sport, and went with it.