Helicopters R Us

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by Weirdo, Dec 23, 2004.

1. Bendernz

Bendernz Torrential

Oddometer:
    I think you have the picture.

I'm just glad this is a helicopter thread so I don't have to tell you about the Army's Light Armoured Vehicle debacle or the cock-up that is HMNZS Canterbury, our "flagship."

Anyone want a multi-role vessel that has the alcoves for the ship's boats too close to the waterline, the result of a little glitch in the tank testing
    ? :baldy
  2. kamanya

kamanya Andrew to most

Oddometer:
    Humph!

You should see our Governments' little effort; I think were just as "world class" as you guys and don't have to stand back for anyone when it comes to fluffing up procurement.

We bought a whole navy and airforce that has tainted corruption stains all over it and elements that are either way over specced or priced.

We 2 submarines that are in dry dock for a few years - one was driven into the pier and the other had its battery pack fried when they plugged it into the wrong mains.

Sorry, back to the whirlybirds
  3. Shadow10

Shadow10 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Interesting 'copter story...

I just found out that a local media outlet is not renewing the lease on a Jet Ranger they have been using for aerial filming.

The interesting part is that for the past fifteen years or so, every owner of this particular bird has gone bankrupt trying to make money from using it as a flying camera platform. The trend has always been paying to much up front, spending way to much on various costs, something major going wrong that needs to be fixed asap and then work drying up just when the break even point got close.

Apparently there are camera guys that believe its cursed. They won't refuse to fly in it, but if they get the call they are always already booked for another job.
  4. Hay Ewe

Hay Ewe Just a Wannabe

Oddometer:
    Remember if you want to make a $million in aviation - Start with $2 million!
  5. EvilGenius

EvilGenius 1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer:
    And stay the hell away from helicopters!

:lol3
  6. Beemer Bob

Beemer Bob Long timer

Oddometer:
    I got to try this yesterday. As a fixed wing pilot it was different to say the least having never flown one. Not for me.
    Brand new with 27hr TT.
    [​IMG]
  7. v8toilet

v8toilet Nothing to see here.

Oddometer:
    Its alright many rotorcraft pilots feel the same about those...fact, fiction or myth they generate opinions.
  8. GSPeP

GSPeP Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Some more 2011 Miramar Airshow

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  9. GSPeP

Oddometer:
  10. WayFar

WayFar Doing stuff. With things.

Oddometer:
    I am headed off to AZ to learn to fly the whirlybirds at Quantum Helicopters. Does anyone have any thoughts on this school, or advice in general? Thanks!:beer
  11. roamer

roamer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's a great school, your going to love it. Neal, the owner, is a no nonsense, very honest guy. His equipment is exceptionally well maintained, and the facilities are great.
    They have a really good program there, and the mountain flying to the east and the north are invaluable training assets. I got my ratings there in 92, just after the demise of Arizona Wing and Rotor.
  12. WayFar

WayFar Doing stuff. With things.

Oddometer:
    Hey, thanks a lot, I'm really looking forward to it.
  13. zozie

zozie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  14. Weirdo

Weirdo Welcome to you're "DOOM"

Oddometer:
    Allow me to embed that for you.

Where did you do your training? Is that Buttonville?

Are you woking now?
  15. GSPeP

Oddometer:
    It's been a month since someone posted here. So here are some more pictures of the 2011 Miramar Airshow

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  16. GSPeP

Oddometer:
  17. No False Enthusiasm

No False Enthusiasm a quiet adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Seeing those guys hanging off a rope underneath a modern Huey reminds me why I chose tanks...

NFE
  18. Kenfly

Kenfly n00b

Oddometer:
    Long Post follows. The names have been changed to protect-- well, me. Timmy- Copilot, Terry- Crewchief
    The language may be offensive, my grammer worse, and parts of this may or may not have actually happened. Enough of :snore

[​IMG]
    On January 5, 2013 we were flying an EC 145 doing Hoist training with local firefighters. We were going to do a 300ft hoist at the LZ to reset it prior to doing live lifts. On final to the LZ at approximately 30KTS and 400FT, we were slowing down and descending. Terry announced that he was going to open the R/H cargo door. Moments prior to him opening the door, the #1 ENG OUT light appeared with the following indications (N1=0, Oil pressure= 0, Oil temp= 70, TGT approximately 500 and descending, TQ=0). I knew we were fawked.
    :kboom
    Timmy asked if ”I did that”. Hell no was my reply. Really dude, was my thoughts, why the fawk would I shut an engine down on myself on final. Really, I’m not little E (inside story). Then Timmy starts nagging on me like my wife which starts a catfight between us. So we’re going at it like two squirrels :turkishwhen Terry pops his head in and slaps the shit outta Timmy and said this shit just got real-Get to work. In utter amazement the following ensued.
    Timmy announced that the #1 Eng just died. No shit. Like a boss, I lowered the nose to gain single engine airspeed and prayed don’t fail me now sweet gods of rotor speed. I pushed the rotor to max while searching for a landing spot. I turned left to avoid the populated areas (neighborhoods, hotels, park, liquor stores and what not) and align with the beach for a possible autorotation and bikini scope since the cause of Eng failure was unknown. No dice, it’s cold out no bikinis. :cry

Timmy slowly rotated the # 1 Eng to idle checking for any indication and then performed a single eng emergency shutdown like he was the man. I begged him to call over the 800 operation freq and the firefighters below that we were about to die due to an eng failure and shit. He simultaneously put the nearest airport in the GPS and selected a direct course for it. Of course he did.
    During his estrogen fueled hysteria:fpalm,Timmy while knob dicking with the radios stranded me from the only professionals I could possibly rely on for the duration of the emergency, the crew chiefs. This unnecessary finger fawking of my avionics control panel isolated me, placing the entire weight of this life or death situation on my undersized shoulders.
    I focused on keeping the A/C at a good autorotation speed and tried to gain altitude to the nearest airport expecting a loss of the #2 engine because who the fawk knows why the other one quit. Timmy backed us up on the checklist like we supposed ta while the crewchiefs were announcing that they had secured the cabin and themselves. Timmy announced an emergency on the local CTAF to clear the general aviation airplanes. It went like this. Holy shit we going down, get the fawk outta the way.

There were 2 trainers in the pattern, 1 fawkin around on the runway, and 1 doing who knows what on the taxiway. I then announced that I would try to prevent any further damage by minimizing the run on landing distance and hover if possible- not easy- we were heavy. On final to the airport at 3 feet and max transient tq, we were able to continue forward IGE flight to a safe parking area away from the other planes and did a better landing than our CPT with 2 Engines.

So we get down with the only injuries being my knuckles from a fist bump.:clap:happay

Then Monday, my Willys' fan decided to exit through the radiator. I am down to a DR650 or a Ural that I just rejetted and haven't ridden since. I am typing this with oven mitts and a helmet. :lol3

Hope you enjoyed
  19. SJSharkfan

SJSharkfan Long timer

Oddometer:
    One hell of a first post!

Gonna be hard to top.
  20. emerson.biguns

emerson.biguns All idiot, no savant

Oddometer:
    So why'd the engine quit? :ear