Is Mexico Safe?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Arte, Feb 1, 2010.

1. MikeMike

MikeMike Long timer

Oddometer:
    Schizz, I need to borrow that kid for a minute and get him to do that to the weatherman!

Pronostican nieve!

28 February, 2013 03:21:00
    [​IMG]
    Veracruz.- La jefa de Departamento del Organismo de Cuenca Golfo Centro de la Comisión Nacional del Agua (Conagua) informó que hay probabilidad de caída de nieve en las faldas del Pico de Orizaba y peña del Cofre de Perote.
    Destacó que se espera mal tiempo por lo menos hasta la mañana del día domingo por lo que dominará en la región cielo nublado con probabilidad de neblina y lluvias.
    La temperatura diurna se mantendrá de fría a fresca con cierta probabilidad de caída de nieve o aguanieve.
    Se recomendó a la población tomar sus precauciones por viento fuerte del norte, oleaje elevado y temperaturas bajas.
  2. FlowBee

FlowBee Just me.

Oddometer:
    Here she is with her son ....

[​IMG]
  3. Craneguy

Craneguy British Hooligan

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  4. Turkeycreek

Turkeycreek Gringo Viejo

Oddometer:
    Learning in Europe also came to halt for a few centuries during the Dark Ages. Coincided with the rise of the church just as the middle eastern dark ages coincided with the rise of religion there. Europe had an enlightenment when learning was revered again. It seems the USA is going away from that to some degree. It comes and goes, it ebbs and flows.
  5. Pedro Navaja

Pedro Navaja Long timer

Oddometer:
    Dem ankles!

6. PirateJohn

PirateJohn Banned

Oddometer:

But at least the monks brought us stinky cheese and warm beer. So not all was lost ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
  7. acejones

acejones Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good point. In the case of the rise of the Church in Europe and the rise of Islaam the Middle East and North Africa the religious leaders realized that knowledge was power. They of course, preferred to keep that power to themselves. Not much changes.

Now, let's return to Mexico.
  8. theshnizzle

theshnizzle Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have googled and I am not getting much back.......excerpt for the whole 2 bodies hanging from the bridge thing........I did see a graph that showed the quietest times to cross, is there anything to see on the other side of the border?

I thought it would be fun to just zip across for a couple hours and then come back.

Anything in particular I should be aware of? I am not going back a million pages to look for my particular question and the search button doesn't work....at least on my ipad.

I don't want to totally buy into the whole it's to dangerous thing, but I just want to know what to expect and risk level involved.

Thanks
  9. PirateJohn

PirateJohn Banned

Oddometer:

Where are you wanting to cross at?

10. Tricepilot

Tricepilot Bailando Con Las Estrellas Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    What part of his post title did you miss?:

"What do I need to know crossing at Laredo?"
  11. slowoldguy

slowoldguy Tire Tester

Oddometer:
    Thread title doesn't show on Tapatalk . ;)
  12. Tricepilot

Tricepilot Bailando Con Las Estrellas Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Upgrade to TapaTitleTooTalk
  13. PirateJohn

PirateJohn Banned

Oddometer:
    Doesn't show using Tapatalk and an iPad.

Laredo ... Nuevo Laredo actually ...

Cross at Bridge #1. That's in the old part of downtown Laredo, TX. The Mexican tourist district starts as soon as you get off the bridge. Go straight ahead.

To your right and in the first block or two there will be a bar that is open air. A bucket of 6 Indios will vary from about $9 to $12 depending on the mood and the greed of the bartender. But I like to hang at that place. Lately they installed a karaoke machine and the singing is so bad that it's funny.

You will be approached by people wanting to help you and asking if you need a girl, need anything from the farmacia, whatever. If you really do need something they are a good resource. I sometimes have a shopping list of my meds and they know where the best prices are. They will also get food for a few $$ although the last few times that I was there a taco wagon was across the street.

Oh, and if you are in the bar most of the ladies that are there are pros. Just so that you know. N. Laredo seems to have more tolerance for that sort of thing than any Mexican town that I have ever been in.

Barbershop is around the corner - look for the barber pole.

Many people remember the Cadillac Bar. Anthony Bourdain showed it in an episode a few years ago. It was on a side street and has gone out of business, so don't waste your time looking for it.

The bar is catty corner from a town square. Maybe 5-6 blocks further south there is a second open town square. Across the street is a small hotel, Maison del Rey as I recall (anyone want to correct my spelling?). Nice place, clean rooms, $39/night. They have a secure parking lot but it's on a side street that is one way so you have to ride a few blocks and loop over to get there.

The state (Tamaliupas) has an active tourist bureau and they promote a park or two in Nuevo Laredo. If you have the time I am sure that a quick Google will turn up all sorts of things.

One of my havens to decompress at is the Applebee's on the southern side of town. It's nicer in my honest opinion than a US Applebee's. The previous manager was a Harley rider and was my pal but last I heard he was in Monterrey. Still, if you need US food this is a good place to be. They also have wifi.

You will see plenty of para-military presence. Everyone just pretty well ignores them. The local cops all got fired and the state brought in state police (white trucks) to supplement the Army (green trucks) and the Federales (black and white trucks). No Transitos and no Metropolitan police in Nuevo Laredo when I was there last, which was maybe 4-5 weeks ago.

Nuevo Laredo is pretty industrial but it's a fine place for a night or two of drinking and shopping. Despite the reputation for trouble the residents party late into the night.

Just stay the hell away from anyone that wants to deal dope. And in 15 years of riding through there I have never had anyone even try to sell me any dope.

14. PirateJohn

PirateJohn Banned

Oddometer:
    There is a new (to me) version for the iPad. Completely different from the older version that is now the approved one for an iPhone.

Has some good features but like all these iPad apps there are some weirdities that you have to watch for.

Facebook just redid both their FB app and the one that I use to manage FB pages and that was a radical change.

15. mark883

mark883 and the mysterians

Oddometer:
    Sheesh!

And if it wasn't for the the dark ages, the crusades and the Brits, we wouldn't have had Monty Python's Holy Grail!
  16. SkizzMan

SkizzMan Me caigo, me levanto

Oddometer:
    Why do I picture a rooster when I read that?
  17. SkizzMan

Oddometer:
    Nothing wrong with wanting to check out the Border scene to satisfy your curiosity. Spent a lot of time in the Laredos myself as a young man. Just keep in mind that whatever impression you come away with will be of the Border, not to be confused with mainland Mexico. And your risk profile (not to discourage you) will likely be higher than most places in the interior. So use your common sense, stay away from places like Boys Town, and have fun.

Drop in here after and give us your assessment and let us know when you want to travel beyond the Border. There's a whole country to explore down there and we're fortunate to have her as a neighbor.
  18. theshnizzle

theshnizzle Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hookers and beer??!! If I was a guy and if I drank al-cool, I'd be down for that.:evil. But, alas, I am a solo female rider who doesn't drink. Ok, another couple questions......if I park my bike and go for a stroll,it will be there when I get back, right?

It's a Hayabusa, so not easy to lift, but not impossible,obviously. I guess,what i want to know,will bike and bags be there upon my return...And,are the lines terribly long depending on time of day,I realize.....

I think google told me its about a 7 hour ride from Beaumont Texas if I am not mistaken,yes?noMaybe?
  19. theshnizzle

theshnizzle Long timer

Oddometer:
    How would I know where boys town was and if I was close to or in it?..
  20. SkizzMan

Oddometer:
    Well, we get all kinds of riders coming through here. :lol3

Six hours should see you there, depending on Houston traffic.

Boy's Town is officially named the "Zona de Tolerancia" and you can Google either name for map info. It lies along the west side of Monterrey St. just north of Anahuac St. It's over 4 kilometers in from the border and you don't need to worry about stumbling into it.

A bike cover works well for securing your bike. Secure paid parking should work - just use your own judgment. Ask to store vulnerable items in their office, etc. Don't leave it if parked on the street.

Will you be passing through San Antonio or Austin anytime?