victory motorcycles

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by daryle105, Feb 1, 2010.

1. Rastus

Rastus World Traveler

Oddometer:
    Wow what a bike. They had test rides at the local Victory dealer in Freeport yesterday. Nice bike, very fast, smooth, and comfortable. Also rode the Cross Roads, Very fun bike to ride. Read the reviews. You can't beat them for a touring machine! :lol3
  2. SpitfireTriple

SpitfireTriple Seek Truth

Oddometer:
    Don't get me wrong. When i feel like slowly puttering around, a 2-valve pushrod V-twin would do the job as well as any configuration, better than most in fact.
    Well, I was thinking bikes not cars, but I admit, I didn't state that. Are the manufacturers you mention the same ones that still use leaf springs and live axles?
    Hmm. I will admit I've peered into neither a Harley head nor a chevy. But I've looked at an orange and a lemon and they look pretty similar.

Yes, I wondered that too. C90 maybe? That's been around since the Ark.
  3. Kytann

Kytann Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've got more experience modifying cars / truck than I do bikes, so that's what I relate my experiences to.

Nothing wrong with Live Axles and Leaf springs, if they're properly setup.
    They've gotten a bad rep from the magazine writers 'cause magazine writers all want to be driving ferraris. Admittedly they don't handle as well for extreme situations, but you're not in extreme situations on the street. And in trucks they're usually setup to hold a huge amount of weight, so they tend to be rather stuff and uncompromising.

Here's my example of a properly setup truck:
    In my specific pickup, a Tacoma, I've redone the rear suspension to use long travel soft leaf springs with the live axle. Custom spring mounts, combination of manufactured leafs for other applications put together in a spring pack.
    Front suspension is still the stock independent A-Arms. I don't have as much load carrying capacity as before, but the ride out of the rear of the truck is noticeably soft, especially compared to the front. Much less harsh over small impacts as well as large impacts. And I've got the articulation I want out of it for 4x4ing. All with old technology leaf springs.
    It works so good I wish I had the same setup for my front suspension.
    Here's apost I made about the truck, when I was still dialing in the rear suspension spring rates
    http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15434
    Unfortunately there's no more pictures of my setup, as the webhosting service I used years ago has long gone away.

Point being, it's all in the details of the setup. A poorly setup a-arm independent combination will ride alot more harshly than a properly setup leaf spring setup.

But if you wanna just believe the marketers that whatever new technology that comes out has to be the best, and everything else is just shit, who am I to convince you otherwise?
  4. sfc1k

sfc1k Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  5. SpitfireTriple

SpitfireTriple Seek Truth

Oddometer:
    I considered those, but they are no longer in production, and the post about Honda using pushrods was in the present tense not the past.

I know what you mean, our modern world contains a lot of "It's new it must be better" bullshit, but there are some technological advances the benefit of which is irrefutable. I will accept that for certain applications, pushrods, 2V heads, leaf springs and live axles still have some life left in them. Some manufacturers, however, unwilling or unable to invest in the newer technologies, keeping banging out the old stuff not because it actually suits the use to which it is being put, but because they are unable to compete with the more advanced firms exploiting the new tech.
  6. sfc1k

sfc1k Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ah, my mistake, I didn't realise the pushrod CG125 had been discontinued in 2009, I thought they were still making them.

So, yeah, scratch Honda from the list of companies still making bikes with pushrod engines.

Do the new Enfield engines still use pushrods?
  7. daryle105

daryle105 Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Is this a victory thread?
  8. OConnor

OConnor Bad Juju

Oddometer:
    If Vic made a GS type bike they might have had a customer but I got tired of waiting.
  9. daryle105

Oddometer:
    Got 2 vic"s great bikes!
    2010 cross country
    2009 vision street
  10. OConnor

OConnor Bad Juju

Oddometer:
    That Cross Country is a great looking bike. Doesn't it fill the same role as the Vision?
  11. pm9654

pm9654 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  12. Stryker_11a

Stryker_11a Licensed Moonbat Hunter

Oddometer:
    the MoCo has a 96 year head start on Victory, so it may take some time for the after market to catch up. :D

Victory is doing pretty good for 11 years of making bikes.
  13. jacksgp

jacksgp Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have never seen a LONGER bike than the cross/roads/country....almost 9 feet long...weird!

Bulletproof but long!
  14. cipher

cipher Beemer Bum

Oddometer:
    I don't believe Polaris/Victory prevents anyone form making anything they want for their products. You have to reach a certain level or critical mass of product before you get much attention from the larger manufacturers.

As for the recent comparison of Apple and Microsoft, have you really studied what Apple has done in the last few years. I would always rather have better quality and user experience than ""cheap."

Any way, just for FYI, I had a 2005 BMW K1200LT, 2005 R1200Rt, and just sold my 2008 R1200GS. It had less than 6000 miles on it and needed balance shaft seals already. I work part time at a BMW shop and I know their quality is good, not perfect and all mechanical things will break sooner or later. I feel that everyone should Ride what works for them.

I still have my 2009 Vision it works for me. It has everything the LT had except the electro-pneumatic center stand, a lot cheaper maintenance requirements and it fits me for all day comfort. I spent alot on custom seats and other changes and couldn't get my BMWs where they need to be in the comfort arena.

See you down the road.
  15. aaronrkelly

aaronrkelly Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Bought a 08 Vision Tour Premium dealer demo (has about 10K on it) about a month ago. Test rode the Ultra Classic and this.....it was a no brainer. More farkle, more power, more comfort.....less money.

I moved up from an older Goldwing......and I really should have test rode a newer Goldwing but the local dealer is an asshat and doesnt let anyone test ride their shit. Yeah, Im gonna spend $24K THEN test ride the bike......fuck that. So its my fault for being to lazy to go to another town/dealer.

Got back from 8 hours today......not even sore, could do 8 more with ease. To me the seating and foot position is like it was molded for me.....great shiz.

I will say its a huge biatch. I will not complain much about having to move it around though. One hand on the bars, one on the grab rail do-dad and I can move it easily around my garage. Its fairly well balanced.

Storage.....ehh, not that great really. That top box is nice...plenty big. The side boxes are OK but what really sucks is no fairing storage to speak of. Yeah there is that little compartment to the left....but its got a power port in it. If you plug one thing in then it will fill the whole thing. If not you have storage for maybe a wallet.....kinda sucks really.

Gizmos.....bad ass. Power windshield is cool as hell. I use it often. Adjust down for town to get the air on a hot day.......up for the freeway/rain/cold etc. I adjust it back and forth probably half a dozen times a day. Heated grips and seats.....yeah, very nice. HID headlight......I ride to work every night so this is huge......very crisp and clear. Cruise control and radio controls are in great spots. Radio and cruise operate as they should.

[​IMG]
  16. OConnor

OConnor Bad Juju

Oddometer:
    Is that some kind of leg wind deflector below the stock deflector?
  17. aaronrkelly

aaronrkelly Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yep it adjusts to either deflect or draw air in. Its stock, came on the bike. This is the Premium Tour version so maybe it doesnt come on the Comfort or Base models.....not real sure.

It doesnt really look like much.....but its very efficient. I commonly ride in upper 30 degree weather on my way home from work in the mornings and I dont dress any differently for the ride then I do for work......so a pair of cargo pants is it. Not a problem at all. You wouldnt think that little wing of plastic would work that well....
  18. daryle105

Oddometer:
    I need the the lower deflectors on my vision
  19. Penmeister

Penmeister Portabella

Oddometer:
    I LOVE my blue 2011 Cross Country!!!! Have had it 12 weeks and have 4500 miles on it. Bummed that I have to put it up for the winter...:(:
  20. Lobby

Lobby Viel Spass, Vato!

Oddometer:
    How are you managing with the wind buffeting? :ear