Honda XR650L XR600 NX650 Oil Cooler from GSMark

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by GSMark, Jan 16, 2011.

1. sc-razor

sc-razor Long timer

Oddometer:
    Very nice! I have the bike as of last Saturday. Should be ready for a cooler in a couple of weeks:clap
  2. GSMark

GSMark Just Love Bikes Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great!
    :deal You will like this bike.

Now that the weather is getting hot, I am getting a bit more requests for the kits... Really :dunno Who woulda thunk? :rofl

Thanks to all! :freaky

Doing my best to keep up... Darn day job keeps getting in the way!

Cheers,
    Mark
  3. techforlife

techforlife CDI REPAIR

Oddometer:
    Mark.......i`ve been doing tests to see how effective the cooler works.....i took it down the highway at 140kph with the bypass turned on,no oil flowing through the cooler........after about 15-20 miles it hit it`s highest temp on my oil temp guage....250 degrees......and climbing ...but slowly.

Now bear in mind it was a cold day......i`ve seen 275 and climbing on this same run in summer on hot days......with the OE tank with the air scoops.....

I pulled the bike over,turned the bypass off.........oil now flowing through the cooler.........turned arround immediately and hit the highway back home........220-225 was max......

So 25 degrees or better cooling is really decent......if it was a hot day it wouldn`t get over 250 degrees.......this is also riding the snot out of it,,basically WFO for 20 miles........:lol3:lol3:lol3.....it`s a Honda,it likes it rough:wink:

B
  4. ThumpnRed

ThumpnRed Pig Wrangler

Oddometer:
    I installed my cooler last night.
    If you follow the instructions (I didn't:evil) the install will go without a hitch. I cut the oil line short hoping to be able to route it out the left side of the bike. Well.... it didn't work. I ended up following Brian's install and fabed up a custom line for the return hose. A 3/8 inch fuel line custom bent and flared. Piece of cake. It works great!

Last night before the custom oil line:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Today:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  5. techforlife

techforlife CDI REPAIR

Oddometer:
    Cool.so you got it done.........looks good Red.......

Just a note to Mark.......i`ve found one thing of real advantage to me after installing the oil cooler,the oil stays golden almost forever,,,,usually it would turn black as coal after a few rides,i just changed the oil with almost 2000 and it`s still almost clear,definately still golden and can see through it........so keeping the oil at cooler temps is at least very good for the oil and not frying the shit out of it.......now i can actually feel safe going the 2k recommended oil change intervals...

I`ve dropped the bike a few times,numorous rock gardens.....no problems,,sweet looking/working rig these are.....

THANKS MARK.....:wink:

:freaky

B
  6. GSMark

Oddometer:
    Hi guys,
    Thanks for the photos and updates! :clap

I have ten kits all ready to ship.
    Small upgrades have been made from the first kits (as with any business that wants to improve over time).

Cheers, :freaky
    Mark
  7. ThumpnRed

ThumpnRed Pig Wrangler

Oddometer:
    After a week of riding in 90 to 100 degree temps... The cooler ROCKS! The highest temp that I have managed to squeeze out of the bike is 225. Sitting in traffic idling... 95 degrees.. sweating my arse off... bike idling at 220 degrees... PRICELESS!
    I used to shut the bike off when stuck in traffic once the temp would hit 265 and then hope it would start.:eek1 Commuting was not fun! I haven't seen engine temps yet of over 225. :deal
    For the poser in me... It looks like it belongs on the the bike also which is another plus (at least to me).
  8. N7XW

N7XW Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mark,

Have some questions on the oil cooler. PM sent.
  9. GSMark

Oddometer:
    PM replied to. Thanks!
  10. captnmack

captnmack n00b

Oddometer:
    Installed it last fall and LOVE it!:norton
  11. Rass

Rass n00b

Oddometer:
    Instructions are crystal clear. You have to cut hoses off to adapt yor reqeriments, takes a little time but the final result is amazing, not only looks good but it takes at least 28ºC, 82.4ºF away from motor with bypass closed, yes closed. I don't have tested it with fully opened oil pass yet.

Superb. Cooler and piping shows no leaks and oil pressure is normal.

Mark, some time ago I sent you an email, please check it out and try to answer my doubt.

see ya !!!
    Thanks.

Sebastián Alonso Corrales Rojas
    CHILE.
  12. Doncolberto530

Doncolberto530 Greasy and confused

Oddometer:
    Anyone try one on an XL600 yet? I have an 83 whose oil needs a cooling...
  13. MuscleGarunt

MuscleGarunt One man’s trash is another man’s turkey sandwich.

Oddometer:
    Hi, seems to have calmed down a bit in the last few months. I recently ordered a oil cooler kit. The installation was a snap. It works with a XRs only skid plate. The spar:wings:wingsk plug wire is a little tight now but it can be wiggled free with a little effort. Pictures coming when I can find the camera.:wings
  14. XR650L

XR650L Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just wondering how it went with that 700cc XR project?
  15. NC-Okie

NC-Okie Long timer

Oddometer:
    Still going and learning. It has been 20+ years since I had split a case on anything and this has been and is an learning experiance so I can do my 2008 XRL right.

CycleWizard bored the cases, made and 711cc piston with an small compression increase and cleaned up the head. His parts are first rate and the piston was beautiful! I have everything together and all the gears worked!! At first I had an issue with getting it to crank but an Lithium battery helped. I am still running the stock exhaust and you can tell the engine is restricted but it is running and sounding mean.

I need to clear up an clutch issue but that has nothing to do with the upgrades CycleWizard did.

I still hope to start the engine for my 2008 XRL in March and go with the Big Fin Kit also.
  16. rc10driver

rc10driver Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Are you still selling the oil coolers? :D
  17. GSMark

Oddometer:
    YUP! :D

Still making them. I just made a new batch of eight XR650L cooler kits.
    I have 2 black coolers and 6 bare aluminum coolers ready to ship.

Happy New Year!
    Cheers, :freaky
    Mark
  18. techforlife

techforlife CDI REPAIR

Oddometer:

HEY Mark.....i think i`m sending someone your way for a cooler...:deal

How are things going,,good i hope..

B
  19. GSMark

Oddometer:
    Thanks! :D I know that you have my back.
    How is your oil cooler working out?

Things are well. Starting 2 more projects with 2 old ones in the works. I will go to my grave with a bunch of bikes in pieces.
    How have you been? Still solving the world's technical motorbike problems? :deal
    No doubt that you are.

A word for future customers:

I think that oil changes on air cooled thumpers are important, but not as important as keeping the heat down.

I have witnessed a Honda XR600 oil drain that had LESS than a 1/4 cup of oil come out of it.
    This "BIG" guy was running the hell out of it at the sand dunes for a weekend.
    He pulled the drain plug and a little stream of VERY black oil came out, not even enough to cover the bottom of the drain pan.
    No telling when he last changed or checked the oil.
    It ran fine before and after the oil change. :clap

On the flip side, Years ago I had a friend start up my Honda NX650 (same engine as the XR650L) and let it idle for too long.
    He forgot about it running while he was working on a project in his shop. About a half hour.
    When he realized it was still running, he found it burning oil. Cracked valve seat! :cry

I would say that heat is more damaging than anything.

This was my motivation for making an oil cooler for the 650.

Anyway...

I am taking a hit on shipping because I have been insuring each shipment and not charging for it. Also, PayPal has been getting $8.50+ for each transaction. I didn't even think about the taxes that I will have to pay when I came up with the original price. Anyway... that is my fault.

I have one complete oil cooler kit in stock (one by-pass valve too).
    I have been stocking black and aluminum finished coolers too.

I am waiting for my water-jet machine shop to cut out some more mounts and guards.
    He is very busy now. No telling when the new parts will be ready. (that is always a problem when you have a friend do work for you). :bueller

I am afraid that the cost of the kits will go up soon. About $15.00. I came up with the price to keep it affordable for inmates here on ADVrider. I don't do this for a living. I hope that everybody will understand when I have to raise the price. :brow

Cheers,
    Mark
  20. thebigman

thebigman XR's all the way . Big Thumps or V-twins

Oddometer:
    DON'T SWEAT THE PRICE INCREASE. :deal

Mark , Your kits are worth every penny , great design and very cool looking to boot. If I was your Marketing and Financial Officer , I would have them at

299.99 cash , check, or Money order, plus shipping. If paying by paypal other than gift , than add 4 %. :deal

I always tell my customers this ,
    My name or business is not named , ... A-Affordable , or Budget builds , Will beat anyones prices. etc, etc,

Remember , good things ain't cheap , and cheap things aint good.

Them cooler set-ups of yours will be around way longer after the price of them is forgot ,

I tell my customers , your not buying this only for yourself , but whoever has it 100 yrs from now . :deal