Showing multiple tracks on map

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by Joevano, Apr 17, 2012.

1. biker128pedal

biker128pedal Super Lurker

Oddometer:
    Exported a track to a GPX file. Then dragged it into IMGfromGPX. When I created a map I got the file imgfromgpx.osm. When I run the program I get 'java' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file. Little help. Maybe I have an old version of java?

:eek1

Found the fix -- If you are getting that error, it means that eitherJava is not installed, or is not in your path.
    If Java is not installed, go to http://www.java.com to install the most recent version of the JRE.
    If you're sure you have already installed Java ensure the Java executable is in your system's path. You can do this by first finding the directory it is installed in. For example, mine is installed in C:\Program Files\Java\jre6. The executables are located in the bin directory.
    In order to set your path (Assuming Windows Vista), go to Start -> Control Panel -> System, then click on the 'Advanced System Settings' link on the left, then the 'Environment Variables' button. In the lower section (Labeled 'System Variables'), scroll through and find the item labeled 'Path' and double click it. In the field labeled 'Variable value' go to the end and add a semicolon (;), and then the path your installation of Java is located. Using the example I gave above, I would have added ;C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin to the end of the line.
  2. leftystrat62

leftystrat62 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    QUOTE=Countdown;18482145]1,000 times simplier in Mapsource. It is far more complicated than what you state.

QUOTE]

I do it like Spiritwalker says-and it's just that easy for me
  3. drdubb

drdubb OFWG Supporter

Oddometer:
    The converter suggested by doc runs requires java. I'm not a whiz with these things, but I just disabled java b/c of security warnings. Any thoughts here?
  4. HogWild

HogWild Skott Whitknee

Oddometer:
  5. drdubb

drdubb OFWG Supporter

Oddometer:
    currently using base camp in a mac lion

do i need to get yet another piece of software?

I feel like I'm just getting used to basecamp. Actually, I like drawing maps on google maps.
  6. DR. Rock

DR. Rock Part of the problem

Oddometer:
  7. Taoshum

Taoshum Adventurer

Oddometer:

Are you running Win7/64 bit? Would this OS be compatible with the Img from GPX software? thanks.
  8. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    On first point, you seem to be talking about creating a ride for some friends. I mostly deal with commercial events. Just "Planning" a ride don't cut it. Promoter must plan a route then go out and ride it and record active log GPS tracks and hand write a roll chart. Then come home type roll chart into computer, then print roll chart, then go back and reride route and check printed roll chart. Roll charts and GPS tracks are handed out after customer signs liability release in front of me.

I do do invitational rides but I always go out and ride every possible road & trail recording active log for all. Then come home and plan the ride based on the best stuff and cut and paste active logs into the desired ride. Then e-mail tracks to friends and also have lap top at the start, no roll charts for these rides.

I don't know what population you are working with, but at California Dual Sport rides, you would be hard pressed to find anyone who could down load a map to their GPS. They are having a good day just to follow tracks promoter has downloaded to their GPS for them.
  9. DR. Rock

DR. Rock Part of the problem

Oddometer:
    Mac, latest version. I don't know about windows. Check the developer's web page. I believe it's available for windows and lists the system requirements.

http://www.javawa.nl/gmtk_en.html