The Rimfire Thread

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by notarex, Apr 4, 2009.

1. FPGT72

FPGT72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Some people may poo poo them but I bought a beretta neos and really like the thing. It is made for people with smaller hands like myself, so if you have big bear paws you may not like it. I also bought the carbine kit (little spendy) but man did that make it into a super fun gun.

I shooting (and I suck) can hit 12 6" plates in a row off hand at 50 yards with mine in the hand gun configuration..and do it pretty darn quick...plenty good enough for me. It also has the rail built into the top so it is easy to add a red dot or something else if you would like that.

And let me tell you if you are trying to get your lady intrested there is nothing better than shooting and hitting what you are aiming at....and a red dot or laser after you get it setup is great for that.

2. SkidMarx

SkidMarx Long timer

Oddometer:
    +1
    I love mine. Added a holographic sight. works great. I have several thousand rnds through it with no issues. Not picky about ammo, disassembly is easy, rail is a big plus.

I like Mark IIIs too, but this one felt better to me. About the same price.
  3. 84thProblem

84thProblem Disbelief suspended

Oddometer:
    LOVE my Neos! The rail is great - I have a big Mall-Wart red dot on mine sometimes and feel like Han Solo. Pretty accurate IMHO. What do you think of the carbine kit? I heard it was a bit small for adults. I've been hankering for one for a year, but the thought that it'd be too small makes me leary.
  4. d mc gee

d mc gee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I also love Mauser small bores!:D
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  5. FAW3

FAW3 Wanderer

Oddometer:

Got a chance to go camping this past weekend. Took the #71 and some targets, and my 13 year old son.

[​IMG]

Great shooting gun, it's a light, accurate and a nice looking rifle.

When he has a auto loader in his hands it can sound like a war zone...this is a bit of a change: the drop lever action and manual hammer is a "one at a time" deal...he learned quickly how to be smooth and accurate. Ammo lasted a lot longer too!
  6. FPGT72

FPGT72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The carbine kit is on the small side, but it is very shootable for a bigger guy, my neighbor is 6'+ and finds it just a hoot to shoot.

I think it is also a little spendy....you can get a pretty good 22 rifle for the price of the kit, but man it just doubles the fun.

7. Hog Rider

Hog Rider The Professor Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yea, thats the Mauser I am looking for ! The few i have come across have been in the $ 800 range lately. Got to keep my eyes open, I will find one. :D

Great tip about the subsonic ammo. :thumb

Just sent the paperwork in, I hope to hear in a few days about a Romanian M69 in .22lr I found. :clap
  8. Hog Rider

Oddometer:

Very, Very nice Mauser, Is that a Oberndorf single shot ?
  9. CurtOKC

CurtOKC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That commerative "Crackshot" would have been produced during the 71/72 time period based on my memory from that time period. A scoped take down model is on my "bucket list".:D
  10. Hodakaguy

Hodakaguy NorthWest Adventure Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Picked up a like new Winchester 9422M this weekend, can't wait to go shoot it.

Crappy cell phone pic :D

[​IMG]

Hodakaguy
  11. Hog Rider

Oddometer:
    Very nice, I have its big brother in the safe. Its a .32 Special . I have been looking for 8 years for a Winchester 9422 Magnum and have yet to see one for sale. Great find :thumb
  12. Hodakaguy

Hodakaguy NorthWest Adventure Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    They come up quite often on Gunbroker and Auctionarms. Keep an eye open on your local auctionarms site, good chance of snagging one locally. :deal

Hodakaguy
  13. Hog Rider

Oddometer:
    I like to see the guns in person before buying, I am very selective about what I get, so I rarely buy on auction sites or online without great pictures and documentation. That being said, I will start to monitor those sites and see what comes up and go from there. Other than that, I will continue to search the tables at gun shows and, when I get sent on the road for work I have a network of cool little gun shops that have interesting stuff for me to check out in my travels.

Ride safe !
  14. FPGT72

FPGT72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    800 is actually not too bad....mine was actually a tad bit more than that. That cell phone pic does not show it but it is in real nice shape with nice color....That CZ above it is fresh out of the box....I almost did not post up the pic as it looks like total hell.

15. FPGT72

FPGT72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Got one.....you are going to love that thing. I bought mine about 10 years ago box fresh....then the bacement flooded and I lost ALL the boxes to ALL my rifles....talk about pissed. The guns all OK, but to lose the boxes that really ticked me off.

16. d mc gee

d mc gee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yep it's a single. Very accurate even with the cheap glass on it. I think the rifle is from 1929.
  17. WayFar

WayFar Doing stuff. With things.

Oddometer:
    My new collection. The target is my dickin around with the new Savage. First day at the range, haven't shot in a few years. Standing, supported on my elbows. Not great, but I'm happy with it. A little more zeroing with a proper rest and it'll be a tack driver.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  18. newcastleadam

newcastleadam Artful Tagger

Oddometer:
    If you're wanting a 22 wheelgun, consider a Ruger Single Six platform. Some of the models come with a 22lr and 22mag cylinder.
  19. RED CAT

RED CAT Bumpy Backroader

Oddometer:
    Are a pain to load and unload especially in 22. Even poping the cylinder, give me a double action anyday.
  20. Bueller

Bueller Cashin?

Oddometer:
    No. And granted it was a long time ago, but the one and only Taurus I owned was a festering piece of lead shaving shit. Customer service was equal to the gun itself - two trips to the factory to try to fix. One took 6 months, and when ot still didn't index properly the second trip took 4 months. They never got it right.

I'll never own one again. Not because they made a bad gun, but instead because they provided bad service. Nowadays I'd rather spend more and cry once. My bottom is Ruger (not so elegant but quality is good), then Kimber, and maybe one day something from Wilson Combat.

Currently I am waiting for a new fluted barrel version of the Ruger 22/45 lite to show up at my local dealer. It should be a fine .22, though it doesn't sound like it will meet fastdadio's criteria.