KTM 530 EXCR- More better!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by neduro, Apr 3, 2008.

1. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    Some wires must be zip-tied too tight and are pulling when the forks go side to side,Im so used to wearing reading glasses when doing close work,its the only way to tell for sure whats going on for me.
  2. MrEndo

MrEndo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well I got to the bottom of it. Clamp and allen that hold the GPR post to the steering neck were rubbing on the wires. The kit provided a spacer and bolts to move the speedo and wiring bracket forward so I repaired the wires and installed the spacers and all is well.:clap
  3. ian408

ian408 Administrator Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    This is a great idea too.
  4. neduro

neduro Long timer

Oddometer:
    I typically color photocopy at 7/8th size or so, and laminate. However, holes mean it's not waterproof, so the colors run, and then you have interesting conversations from time to time. The twist-a-plate would solve that.
  5. ian408

ian408 Administrator Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    My only issue with laminating is whether or not it's legal. You can carry a facsimile of your registration but I thought the plate had to be the real thing (with stickers that match the registration). I could see keeping a copy of the plate in the off chance you lost it along the trail somewhere-but I'd at least want to start with the original :lol3

The Twist-a-plate (for me) solves the problem nicely. And it's simple too.
  6. jesusgatos

jesusgatos fishing with dynamite

Oddometer:
    Run my license plate without any kind of backing plate and am pretty content to just let it get mangled. On the rare occasion that I get pulled over, only takes a second to straighten it out.
  7. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    I was out today on the 530,some pavemento to get to a dirt road,then a really rocky dirt road,then some neat fast sliding dirtroads,530 feels like a smooth half mile bike doing the long slides.
    Then some A singletrack,all decomposed granite in the Sierra Nevadas. Vertical steps,deep silt,bitchin big granite stuff.
    I wouldnt fool with the suspension on the 2011,it is just smooth and sucks everything up,for my 180 lbs its pretty close on the springs. With just jetting and the Q4 muffler it wheelies at will when ever the mood strikes.
    Rode home in the dark,had a blast! I didnt think it would work that good on tight singletrack,but it does.
  8. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    Youve been out riding the 450 some? I guess Colorado will be thinking about snow soon.
  9. Hayduke

Hayduke ///SAFETY THIRD/// Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm really enjoying the 530 I just bought from c.vestal. Like Ned says, it's just "more better". I loved my 525, but lot's of small improvements add up.

[​IMG]
  10. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    Ive let a few guys ride my 530,they tend to say the same thing when they bring it back, "How did you get the suspension so smooth?" I havent touched it,it sucks up potholes,big rocks on climbs,stutter bumps on fireroads seem to go away.
    Like most KTM's,it only works better the faster you go. Its pretty dang fun!
    I tried out a set of those Wolf Man day tripper bags yesterday,rode a bunch of singletrack and forgot they were there.
    Good stuff.
  11. MrEndo

MrEndo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    "I tried out a set of those Wolf Man day tripper bagYus yesterday,rode a bunch of singletrack and forgot they were there.
    Good stuff."

I sure like the Giant Loop Mojave. It's waterproof and the strap that goes around the outside of each bag is long enough to hold a rolled up a light jacket.
  12. J.Johnson

J.Johnson Adventurer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Had this handy rear fender bag up by my friend at dirt Bagz. Fits all my tools, tube, pump, tape, and zip ties. The top has a pouch for all that small stuff that disappears.

Sent with mind control...
  13. ROUNDSTOCK

ROUNDSTOCK Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    hey mister,saw your logo on a combine in nebraska! you ride the katoom that far for some weldin?
  14. Bungholio

Bungholio Long timer

Oddometer:
    After sitting on my backside since June 8 with a broken ankle, I finally got to ride my 530 again. Took a day trip with my son-in-law up to Wynoochee lake and back. A nice 110 mile trip on national forest fire roads. Not ready for trails yet but pretty soon.

Having tried a few gearing combos I have settled on 15/49 as a pretty good all around setup. Will drop the CS to 13 or 14 for really tight and steep trails.
  15. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    Ive been using a GL Coyote,despite strapping it down,using screws to hold both sides down to my side plates,they still come up and smack me over jumps,distracting.
    For 1 to 2 day rides I never halfway filled the things which may have been part of the problem.
    The Day trip bags strapping system is tight,nothing moves in any direction,they seem to hold just enough to do trips across the desert as long as Im not camping out. If I was doing a dirtbike camp trip I could jam all my backpacking style camp gear in the Giant Loop bag no problem.Its the old original Coyote.
  16. J.Johnson

J.Johnson Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have sold a couple parts to people back there. Haha. That's funny. Take apicture next time.

Sent with mind control...
  17. mebuildit

mebuildit Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well after reading 239 pages and countless links I am very happy that I have purchased my bike. I basically have done just about everything most of you have done to your bikes. There are some things that I'd still like to do.
    I started riding when I was 13 and had a bad crash in 1990 where I hit a 250R head on and my gas tank broke spilling fuel all over me burning me over 34% of my body and face. Broken femur, ribs & right foot, 2 1/2 Months in the hospital and almost passing away 3 times I'm proud to say that I'm here and after 20 years of not riding I'm back riding again.
    This site and a couple of other sites have really opened my mind up to riding again.
    So thank you to all of you who post such great information on here, it has helped me greatly.
    I hope to meet some of you guys one day. If you are ever in Scottsdale, Az look me up.
    -Greg
  18. antpatterson

antpatterson XR650L_High_Runner

Oddometer:
    Went for a ride today on my 450 and noticed after riding my rear sprocket bolts were loose. I tightened them and they came loose again. Any other solutions rather than replacing the hub? And what would be the best replacement hub? I have a KTM Billet Hub marked for $180 and then there's a Carbon Bonded hub for 649.96 which is a bit.....HIGH to me. I'm going to Boot Camp on Parris Island in January and really want to get in alot of riding before then and Wal-mart is not the best place to make spare cash for hubs obviously, which I'm about to go back to an old mill job so I may or may not buy the 649.96 one. I would rather hopefully fix this, possibly just new sprocket bolts?
  19. jesusgatos

jesusgatos fishing with dynamite

Oddometer:
    new hardware and locktite.
  20. antpatterson

antpatterson XR650L_High_Runner

Oddometer: