Call all XR600R!!!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by CSMonte, Dec 8, 2008.

1. The Dogger

The Dogger Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Don't give up now man !

Is there an engineering shop that could hone the cylinder for you ? Maybe a new piston , but no need to spend mega bucks ?

Then flush that frame out again ( and again , and again.....) Steve's Engine rebuild thread ( I think ) will show you how many times it needs to be done. Many , many times , but you can be doing that while your new best friend at the work shop sorts the engine out.

There are plenty of people on here who will help you get it back together again if you think the machinist is not familiar enough with this engine

The NCVT needle that you need is Honda part number 16234-MEN-671 . About €30 from David Silver Spares in the UK , I think they're about $10 in the US :eek1

Good luck , and do not give up. Report back with progress , we want to see this beast running.

Cheers
  2. mcma111

mcma111 Long timer

Oddometer:
  3. The Dogger

Oddometer:
    That's the one !

QUOTE from p4

" I had planned to get the frame into a roller today but that just didn't happen. I did a few more solvent flush's of the frame oil tank. Good thing I did as there was MORE blast media still in the frame. I must have flushed the tank 50 to 60 times so far. Finally got it to the point where there was no more traces of the media. Finally!! "
  4. martin.kryjom

martin.kryjom Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks a lot for u words. On monday it will go to the shop and we will check how big damage has been made. Im also in tuch with XR only, they help me to solve that problem, i just need to give them list of the parts i need.
    The worst thing now i sto clean the frame, i need to disassemblly whole bike again, so i do not think so i will run on it in next 3 months:(
    We will see, thank u for u support!
  5. The Dogger

Oddometer:
    Cool . Did you read the thread that Steve ( mcma111) linked to above ?

Don't cut corners , take your time , and do it right . You'll be fine

Keep posting on your progress

Cheers
  6. Airguitar

Airguitar Thumpin'!!

Oddometer:
    Your frame is fine. You just need to clean out the oil reservoir properly. Earlier in this thread there are pictures from guys who flushed it out 15 to 20 times before they were happy that the grit was gone. I am sure that you don't need to use solvents to do this. Boiling soapy water will do it too. Use a LOT. Do it a LOT. once you're satisfied that it's clean inside, flush with clean boiling water and then blow dry inside with compressed air. The frame is not mild steel, but a chrome moly alloy which resists rust. Just be sure to blow dry the tank when finished.

Your engine will need a careful inspection and rebuild. For you, maybe the best is to find parts in Germany or Austria.. ? (You're in Poland or somewhere like that?)
    Don't feel bad, and don't give up. Building is fun anyway!
  7. BSW

BSW Kilbane Glamping Supporter

Oddometer:
    Dont forget the Filter screen on the bottom oil outlet of the frame,A blocked filter cost me the top end of my old 650L.
  8. Royal Club

Royal Club Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    tried to take some pics tonight.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

both on highbeam.
  9. nikolic

nikolic Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just an update! Last weekend I went on some extreme enduro ride with my friends. Anyway one of them rides the whole stock 600r and has the oil temperature gauge. I've mounted the xtz600 oil cooler before the ride (see a pics a few post earlier). His temperature was 140 degrees Celsius when we hit the first deep mud and it was boiling. I took the gauge and put it into my bike. Oil temperature didn't go over 80!!! Huge success!! :deal:clap
  10. elsalvadorklr

elsalvadorklr southern xr rider

Oddometer:
    wow thats huge! congrats:D

is that as high as the oil will ever get?????????????
  11. voltz

voltz Rebuilding

Oddometer:
    more and more I like the idea of an extra cooler
  12. nikolic

nikolic Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It is a MUST! All the problems with head failure are related to overheating!
  13. Airguitar

Airguitar Thumpin'!!

Oddometer:
    A few pages back I asked a question about reliability when installing wiseco and hotcams, etc. Any time you push performance up, you increase heating.
    As has been said, even a stock bike has heating problems under certain conditions. My advice is to FIRST fit an oil cooler before you do any other damn thing to the bike.
  14. voltz

voltz Rebuilding

Oddometer:
    have any of you guys fitted the xr250 cooler ? the one that wraps around the headstock
  15. Sniper X

Sniper X De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer:
    Central New Mexico, 7420ft above sea level
    To an XR600? There was a whole thread on it on thumpertalk years ago. Some guy did two on his 600 one right above the other if I remember correctly.
  16. joexr

joexr Banned

Oddometer:
    The XR400 cooler is similar , but bigger.
  17. deejay_xr

deejay_xr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  18. Royal Club

Royal Club Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    yours is from ABP right? Do you like it and what temperatures are you running? Mines stays anywhere from 70to 95 depending on how hard I ride it or how slow..
  19. Sniper X

Sniper X De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer:
    Central New Mexico, 7420ft above sea level
    Shit, now I need to save up another 300 clams....dang! :roflIf of course he has one of these for an XR400R
  20. mcma111

mcma111 Long timer

Oddometer:
    XR400??? The XR400 comes with an oil cooler or haven't you found it.