Yamaha WR250R Mega Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Sock Monkey, Apr 7, 2008.

1. Big Poppa T

Big Poppa T I love it when you call me Big Poppa

Oddometer:
    The Beta bag just seems easy and simple. That's why I'm drawn to it. What setup do you use?
  2. Big Poppa T

Oddometer:
    I was always planning on doing this exact setup. Mostly because I was inspired by BigDog. After going on a hiking/camping trip this summer where we lived out of dry bags I realized after it was to late that anything that can puncture something like tools, tent stakes, bottom metal edges of an Off if not wrapped up in something soft will tear up a rubber dry bag quick. Since that trip I starting to rethink the dry saddle bags for longevity reasons. Do you find that to be true at all?
  3. Big Poppa T

Oddometer:
    I haven't seen those bags. Thanks for bringing them up. Where is the best place to look at buying it? I'm trying to get a setup that works well with this bike since it is smaller. That seems like it would as well.
  4. GSBS

GSBS FunHog

Oddometer:
    I bought directly from GL here.
  5. skierd

skierd Wannabe Far-Rider

Oddometer:
    If I ever decide to change my current setup, I'll probably get a Beta bag myself. Not sure if mini or the regular size. My only concern with having one big bag vs. smaller pockets for everything is what happens when things get wet and/or stinky...

I've tried a bunch of different setups over the years and I think I'm pretty happy with what I have now. Started with Dirtbagz Scouts (smaller size) alone for a weekend trip, too small.
    [​IMG]

Then added the Wolfman enduro duffel, strapped my sleeping pad to it, and ran a 2gal rotopax under the left dirtbag for my TAT trip. Too much bulk, too much weight, so I spent a lot of the next year minimizing. Still, it worked great for 6600 miles.
    [​IMG]

Sold the rack, sold the dirtbagz. Bought a Kriega US20 and wolfman enduro saddle bags (original style) with two MSR fuel bottles. In the right direction, couldn't fit much in the way of clothes and with my tent stuffed inside my tail bag, what to do when it rained?.
    [​IMG]

So I sold the kriega and decided to make due to the Wolfman Enduro duffel and saddle bags. I added a seatosummit large event compression stuff sack for my clothes. Worked great for 6000+ miles this spring and without the stuff sack was great for overnight trips, but I'm again looking to fiddle.
    [​IMG]

I'll probably keep the setup I have now (enduro bags) for short overnight or weekend trips, and maybe ideally get a locking hard top box for long adventures. FWIW the enduro saddle bags and tail duffel have a slight edge in capacity on the GL Coyote I think and are less intrusive to the rider imo, plus I like having compartments. And it costs half as much.

It really depends on how and where you travel and how tied to the bike you're going to be. Setting up a base camp is a lot different than traveling every day on unimproved roads or bopping from town to town on back roads for 3 weeks. The longer you stay in civilization the more clothing and ideally more security from hard bags you'll need. The further away from people you get, the more you need stuff that packs light and fast to get back to the action. It sucks walking around a town and eating lunch in a nice diner when you can't see your bike and are worried about your gear constantly. I will say the bike rode and handled the best with just the saddle bags but acts much better in the wind with just a tail bag or small saddle bags like the enduro's. Who knows, I'll probably end up with the happy trails panniers next as I've tried most everything else...

Just one more, because I like remembering it...
    [​IMG]
  6. skierd

skierd Wannabe Far-Rider

Oddometer:
    Damnit, now I really want to go on a trip again. :cry
  7. SteveO

SteveO scratched and bruised, but not out Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have not found this to be the case. Of course I take precautions in protecting such items and limiting them to hard cases so that nothing sharp is sticking into the rubber casing. Its pretty tough material.
  8. skierd

skierd Wannabe Far-Rider

Oddometer:

To answer the question more, on what *I* would do.

For rides where I set up base camp, I'd want the beta bags. Get to camp, ditch the heavy crap, go ride.

For rides where I'm moving camp daily or just traveling, I'd get the saddle bags OR the beta bags, both will work equally well depending on how you like to pack.
  9. SteveO

Oddometer:
    I did a ride not too long ago in which I took quite a few things with me.

Coyote GL, Wolfman saddle bags and tank bag, Rotopax, and two more dry bags strapped to the Coyote GL......

Everything strapped on very well and was fairly accessible.

I think it really depends on what you intend on doing. For me, this setup works very well and i'm able to bring what I want to bring, including an electric guitar......

of course I would not be doing single track with this kind of setup, but for getting to a destination and seeing the country, its a great setup....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  10. HardWorkingDog

HardWorkingDog Super Ordinary

Oddometer:
    Yes, but I don't think that is unique to the dry bag. I've managed to rub a hole through cordura nylon in less than 100 miles (White Rim trail, socket handle) and thought I'd learned my lesson. When I got my Dry Duffel I wanted to be sure it would hold up and thought I'd kept hard stuff away from the edges, but the celebratory bottle of Fat Tire worked its way down and rubbed a hole between the bottom of the bag and the rear rack on the first day. Took 200 miles this time.

Wolfman sells a nice patch kit. :eek1

Again, it's an issue with all soft luggage, dry bag or not. IMO.
  11. Big Poppa T

Oddometer:
    With that setup where is your extra gas since you don't have a bigger tank. I don't either and don't really want one. Your pictures were really helpful. Thank you! Also, what are those pole things hanging on your bike?
  12. reddirtjoe

reddirtjoe motorcycle addict

Oddometer:
    Let's Ride some red dirt!!.... NorthCentOklahoma
  13. SteveO

Oddometer:
    Whoa, this is a really nice setup.....maybe I should be going orange...

350 EXC-F: 350 EXC-F 2012

[​IMG]

New for 2012:

• New DOHC EFI engine tuned for enduro riding
    • New longer cylinder and new piston with reduced dome height and lighter weight reducing the compression ratio to 12.3 while outputting smooth enduro engine characteristics
    • New camshafts for improved low-end torque
    • 4 ultra-light titanium valves, new spring retainers and seating washers that allow this bike to peak at 12,000 RPMs
    • New crank shaft with heavier crank webs to provide more inertia for smoother power deliver and better traction
    • New counter balancer shaft with efficient reduction of vibrations
    • Newly developed lightweight single diaphragm spring clutch unit with steel billet basket for unbeatable reliability
    • 6-speed enduro gearbox for precise shifting
    • New electric start system (plus kick start) and stronger 196W stator
    • Completely new frame design with PDS that reduces longitudinal stiffness
    • New one-piece cast aluminium swingarm with excellent flex characteristics
    • New WP PDS mono shock (7mm longer) with new preload adjuster
    • WP 48mm USD forks received new oil and dust seals by SKF and new bushings with improved Teflon coating for better sensitivity and durability
    • New silencer and larger volume spark arrestor for lower noise level
    • New 2.51 gallon/ 9.5 liter translucent fuel tank with integrated fuel pump and regulator
    • Equipped with DOT approved headlight, taillight and turn signal indicators
    • Newly designed taillight and license plate holder with improved durability
    • New intake boot that provides great power and extra protection for Twin-Air filter which still has the same quick change, no-tools access air filter change process
    • New bodywork including a white airbox, white rear number plates, and a redesigned reinforced rear fender for perfect ergonomics and excellent contact points
    • New handguard mount and flag design
    • New black Giant rims with CNC machined hubs, black spokes and silver spoke nipples
    • New integrated routing for the cooling system for better airflow
    • Metzler Six Days Extreme DOT front and rear tires

TECHNICAL DETAILS

<table class="contenttable contenttable-0"><tbody><tr class="tr-even tr-0"> <td class="td-0">Engine </td> <td class="td-last td-1"> </td> </tr> <tr class="tr-odd tr-1"> <td class="td-0">Engine type</td> <td class="td-last td-1">Single cylinder, 4-stroke</td> </tr> <tr class="tr-even tr-2"> <td class="td-0">Displacement</td> <td class="td-last td-1">349.7 cc</td> </tr> <tr class="tr-odd tr-3"> <td class="td-0">Bore/stroke</td> <td class="td-last td-1">88/57.5 mm</td> </tr> <tr class="tr-even tr-4"> <td class="td-0">Compression ratio</td> <td class="td-last td-1">12,3:1</td> </tr> <tr class="tr-odd tr-5"> <td class="td-0">Starter/battery</td> <td class="td-last td-1">Kick- and electric starter / 12V 4Ah</td> </tr> <tr class="tr-even tr-6"> <td class="td-0">Transmission</td> <td class="td-last td-1">6 gears</td> </tr> <tr class="tr-odd tr-7"> <td class="td-0">Carburetor</td> <td class="td-last td-1">Keihin EFI, flow restrictor 42 mm</td> </tr> <tr class="tr-even tr-8"> <td class="td-0">Control</td> <td class="td-last td-1">4 V / DOHC with finger followers</td> </tr> <tr class="tr-odd tr-9"> <td class="td-0">Lubrication</td> <td class="td-last td-1">Pressure lubrication with 2 oil pumps</td> </tr> <tr class="tr-even tr-10"> <td class="td-0">Gear ratios</td> <td class="td-last td-1">14:32 16:26 20:25 22:23 25:22 26:20</td> </tr> <tr class="tr-odd tr-11"> <td class="td-0">Primary ratio</td> <td class="td-last td-1">24:73</td> </tr> <tr class="tr-even tr-12"> <td class="td-0">Final drive</td> <td class="td-last td-1">14:52 (13:52)</td> </tr> <tr class="tr-odd tr-13"> <td class="td-0">Cooling</td> <td class="td-last td-1">Liquid cooling</td> </tr> <tr class="tr-even tr-14"> <td class="td-0">Clutch</td> <td class="td-last td-1">Wet multi-disc clutch, Brembo hydraulics</td> </tr> <tr class="tr-odd tr-15"> <td class="td-0">Ignition</td> <td class="td-last td-1">Keihin EMS</td> </tr> <tr class="tr-even tr-16"> <td class="td-0"> </td> <td class="td-last td-1"> </td> </tr> <tr class="tr-odd tr-17"> <td class="td-0">Chassis</td> <td class="td-last td-1"> </td> </tr> <tr class="tr-even tr-18"> <td class="td-0">Frame</td> <td class="td-last td-1">Central double-cradle-type 25CrMo4</td> </tr> <tr class="tr-odd tr-19"> <td class="td-0">Subframe</td> <td class="td-last td-1">Aluminium</td> </tr> <tr class="tr-even tr-20"> <td class="td-0">Handlebar</td> <td class="td-last td-1">Neken, Aluminium Ø 28/22 mm</td> </tr> <tr class="tr-odd tr-21"> <td class="td-0">Front suspension</td> <td class="td-last td-1">WP-USD Ø 48 mm</td> </tr> <tr class="tr-even tr-22"> <td class="td-0">Rear suspension</td> <td class="td-last td-1">WP-PDS shock absorber</td> </tr> <tr class="tr-odd tr-23"> <td class="td-0">Suspension travel front/rear</td> <td class="td-last td-1">300/335 mm</td> </tr> <tr class="tr-even tr-24"> <td class="td-0">Front/rear brakes</td> <td class="td-last td-1">Disc brake Ø 260/220 mm</td> </tr> <tr class="tr-odd tr-25"> <td class="td-0">Front/rear rims</td> <td class="td-last td-1">1.60 x 21''; 2.15 x 18'' Excel</td> </tr> <tr class="tr-even tr-26"> <td class="td-0">Front/rear tires</td> <td class="td-last td-1">90/90-21"; 140/80-18"</td> </tr> <tr class="tr-odd tr-27"> <td class="td-0">Chain</td> <td class="td-last td-1">X-Ring 5/8 x 1/4"</td> </tr> <tr class="tr-even tr-28"> <td class="td-0">Silencer</td> <td class="td-last td-1">Aluminium</td> </tr> <tr class="tr-odd tr-29"> <td class="td-0">Steering head angle</td> <td class="td-last td-1">63.5°</td> </tr> <tr class="tr-even tr-30"> <td class="td-0">Wheel base</td> <td class="td-last td-1">1,482±10 mm</td> </tr> <tr class="tr-odd tr-31"> <td class="td-0">Ground clearance</td> <td class="td-last td-1">345 mm</td> </tr> <tr class="tr-even tr-32"> <td class="td-0">Seat height</td> <td class="td-last td-1">970 mm</td> </tr> <tr class="tr-odd tr-33"> <td class="td-0">Tank capacity, approx.</td> <td class="td-last td-1">9.5 l</td> </tr> <tr class="tr-even tr-last"> <td class="td-0">Weight, without fuel, approx.</td> <td class="td-last td-1">107.5 kg</td></tr></tbody></table>
  14. GSBS

GSBS FunHog

Oddometer:
  15. reddirtjoe

Oddometer:
    It is adding to my confusion!!!!

other then the $ 40.245 per pound stuff:huh
  16. Big Poppa T

Oddometer:
    On the outside a KTM is sexy. It's like that drop dead gorgeous girl you meet for the first time, however spend a little time with her and you discover she's really a prostitute with a lot of issues and baggage waiting to give you vd and take all your money. No thanks! For now I'm sticking with old faithful. Haha!
  17. SteveO

Oddometer:

:rofl

too funny....
  18. AZ TOM

AZ TOM Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    You left out one small detail on the KTM, price?
  19. SteveO

Oddometer:
    I haven't been able to find a price on this model. But, I guessing about $8k....
  20. reddirtjoe

Oddometer:
    I found about 9500.00 or 40.245 per pound:eek1