Nice things car-drivers have done for bikers

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by Kalahari76, Sep 13, 2012.

1. BladeRun

BladeRun Daywalker finally!

Oddometer:
    This past July I had ridden down to NC/TN and was riding US 129, aka the Dragon, for the first time. It was just after a heavy downpour so I was taking it extra easy. There was a large SUV driving 1 or 2 curves ahead of me. I had spoken briefly with the driver at Deal's Gap resort. Well all of a sudden as I'm approaching a curve, I see the SUV stop and put his hazards on. A tree had been knocked down and was completely blocking my lane, on a blind curve. Not sure what the outcome would have been if he hadn't stopped and alerted me, as I wasn't traveling all that fast, but I'm sure it would have been hairy.
  2. tvpierce

tvpierce Long timer

Oddometer:

Interesting. Are you sure they're being courteous, and not just giving you a wide berth because they're uneasy about your approach?
  3. Grreatdog

Grreatdog Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The most recent one for me was on the Shenandoah 500 dual sport ride. I was way behind because of two flats and just ahead of the sweep crew. So I had been riding flat out alone most of the morning. When I hit asphalt I wasn't exactly adhering to the posted speed limit and blew past my turn.

A pickup had been following me pretty closely on that stretch of road and pulled off behind me when I stopped to look at my roll chart. I figured a local was going to give me a hard time for speeding. Instead a little old lady got out walked up to me and asked if I was lost or having a problem.

I couldn't believe that woman had been driving so fast on those curvy roads in a rat pickup. I told her was on a ride and missed my turn. She said that is what she figured and told me how to get to the school for lunch. I told her I was going to stick to the route and she pointed out the dirt road all the motorcycles went down.

Still one of the best and most unexpected encounters of my riding life.
  4. sk8rdi16

sk8rdi16 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Few weeks ago I was filling up and as I was leaving the gas station an old guy (really old!) sitting in the passenger seat of a small SUV was waving and pointing. I thought he must have been a motorcycle guy and waved back, but he continued pointing so I turned around. I'll be damned, left my side case open when getting my wallet out! Gave him a wave and a thumbs up.
    +1 for the old guy.

Although, that didn't help me the next time I left it open, doh! :cry
  5. the_sandman_454

the_sandman_454 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've had a few folks in cages stop and ask if I needed help at times when I've parked somewhere off the road to have a stretch or grab a photo with a sign or something. Most of them seemed to be motorcyclists themselves though, but very cool knowing there are helpful people out there.
  6. Les Peterson

Les Peterson Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A couple of years ago I was on my way home from a all day ride and stopped under a overpass to cool off in the shade, drink some water and check in at home. A Oregon state trooper stops to check if I'm ok then stays and chats a bit. Around here if you're not on a sport bike most of the cops are cool to deal with and even friendly.
  7. HairBear

HairBear I'm a Grandpa

Oddometer:
    Had a flat on a two lane highway. Had several people stop to check, & the 1st lady that stopped was really hesitant to leave. She was going to stay with her flashers on. We did figure out later that some may have thought someone was injured since I have no center stand & we laid the bike on the hill to take the wheel off.
    Unfortunately, nobody bothered to point out I was at a diesel pump when I filled up a little later:cry:baldy
  8. Offcamber

Offcamber Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have had a few cages pull over to let me by on some nice country roads.....

Recently on a few group rides cages have stopped to let the group out of a gas station or intersection so we can stay together. I think the recent accident where two bikers were killed on a memorial ride has gotten the attention of drivers around here....it almost seems they are being overly courteous to groups of motorcycles....probably won't last.
  9. Hamon

Hamon I just like riding

Oddometer:
    I was driving home on a cold dark night a couple years ago when a fuse blew on my KLR, causing my taillight to go out. A family in a minivan came up beside me on the freeway, signalled that my light was out, then ducked in behind me to run a rear block for the 50-ish kilometres I had left to get home.

Although the air was crisp, I was genuinely warmed knowing that pesky tailgating cager literally had my back.

Travis
  10. Mgbgt89

Mgbgt89 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I once had a guy road raging all over me in traffic, trying to run me off the road, tailgating etc. A guy in a bigger truck pulled up next to me and signaled for me to pin it.

I did so, and as soon as there was half a truck length between me and the asshole in the smaller truck, the guy in the F350 put him all the way into the ditch. Perfect. That was by far the best thing a cager has ever done for me.

Down south i've had plenty of cars pull over to let me pass on twistys. North east ohio.... Not a ice cubes chance in hell of that ever happening. They block passes around here.
  11. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I ran out of gas on a two lane highway (Ohio SR36) about a mile from a gas station at about 2:00am. Guy stops and takes me to the station vouching for me to get a gas can and some gas. That was about 30 years back.
  12. Qwik

Qwik Adrenaline Addict Supporter

Oddometer:
    Heres a different one for ya. Local rider (Screen name of Ozymandias) traveling across one of the bridges coming into San Francisco lost control and hit the barrier head on. Fell 60+ feet to the hood of an Illegally Parked SUV. Landed on his back on the hood of the SUV. Lived to tell the Tale. How often do you hear of a rider's life being SAVED By an SUV. if it hadnt been there and he had hit the pavement he would have died. as it is he walks, talks, and Rides still.
  13. AZbiker

AZbiker Say hi to the bad guy

Oddometer:
    I don't know what the fuck you're talking about. Ozymandias killed himself.

2arms1head.com
  14. larryboy

larryboy Just obey!

Oddometer:

I have a commercial drivers license and I've done that hundreds of times. If I can see far enough, I get into the oncoming lane for my left turn...not really to be nice, just to make sure somebody doesn't try a pass that will not end well. It keeps everybody moving and safe.
  15. Kalahari76

Kalahari76 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Good stories so far guys, keep it coming. I remember in 1996 I was doing a 14 day trip back in South Africa on a old XL500. On the last day, about 5 hours away from home, the bike developed a major oil leak. Being an old bike it had no warning lights and the first I noticed something was wrong was when the bike suddenly and rapidly started to lose power. I managed to pull over and the engine just cut-out. My worst fears was confirmed when I tried to kickstart it and nearly broke my ankle! The engine was seized solid. Damn! This was just before mobile (cell) phones was around and on a quiet road, about two hours from the next town! Not even a farm house in sight, literally the middle of nowhere. My only option was to start pushing the bike and hope to see a farm house soon from where I could phone for help. I've been pushing for about 2km when a truck came from behind and pulled over to help. It was a old guy and when he heard what happened, he offered to take me and the bike and drop me of in my town! What a nice bloke! Between the two of us we lifted the bike into the back of the truck which was a helluva task as it was quite high, but we managed it and set of. He dropped me of a few hours later and dad came to pick me up. The old fellow wouldn't accept any payment more than a warmhearted thank you and a handshake. What a guy!
  16. ragtoplvr

ragtoplvr Long timer

Oddometer:
    There is a fun recently paved 25 mph speed limit corner on my way to work. I rounded it at about 60 indicated. Block down was a cop. Pulled right out behind me about 5 foot from my rear, doing the intimidate the victim act.

Some MILF in a SUV pulled out without looking, I had to take the ditch since stopping quickly with the police on my A$$ was not an option. He lit her up instead. Thanks lady!!!!

Part of me wanted to talk to the officer and indicate how dangerous his pull over routine was for me. I let it be.

Only bad thing is he still waits at that corner from time to time. I can't enjoy it anymore.

Rod
  17. MikeJansen

MikeJansen Lost

Oddometer:
    I filter about 15-30 miles a day (SE England) to and from work. Most drivers are neutral about the bikes slipping between the lanes of travel some are butt heads and deliberately close the gaps a few give you more room.

The other day I was moving up a row of stopped traffic in a particularly stop prone area at about 10-15 mph. A very nice gentleman in a late model MB auto retracted his wing (side) mirror as I approached and popped it back out as he started rolling behind me. That made my ride home. :clap

Mike
  18. Jim Moore

Jim Moore Long timer

Oddometer:
    Werd! They freakin' dive out of the way. Borderline dangerous sometimes.
  19. DC2wheels

DC2wheels Castle Anthrax troll Supporter

Oddometer:
    Couple years ago I had to leave Virginia very early (4:30 am) to be home in northern N.H. that evening.

Very foggy on I-81 that morning and the VSP were having one of their speeder crackdowns (aka $$$ in the treasury)

While it was still dark and I was about to pass them, I had 2 different 18 wheelers signal a lane change then straddle the two lanes to block me. When the first one did it, I was thinking wtf? Then we came over a rise and passed the trooper sitting partially hidden.

Then it occurred to me that the driver had heard about the radar location on his CB and kept me from getting a performance award. Thanks, drivers. :clap
  20. jbmac

jbmac Mitten Man

Oddometer:
    Not too long ago I had a driver warn me about a flooded road I was about to encounter. I went down it anyway :) Like many others I do my best to warn about speed traps.

You are all lucky to have people get out of your way. When I did the BRP people would pull over for me and my buddy. It was amazing to me. Here in MI they will cruise at 45 then as you go to pass they decide to ramp it up to 60.....I'll never understand.