Is Mexico Safe?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Arte, Feb 1, 2010.

1. rockymountainoyster

rockymountainoyster Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    560 miles in Mexico is about six hours for Miguelito. The guy is a demon and rarely needs to stop to piss. I bought an Arai with a peak a couple of years back because it really helps with the early morning and late afternoon sun. Where it does not help is when you exceed about 60 mph it causes your head to buffet in the wind which in turn causes your (my) eyes to blur. Riding in excess of 70mph with blurred vision is not a lot of fun and doesn't feel real safe. Guess I will just continue to poke along at comfortable speeds for the conditions and my abilities as a rider. Always nice to see one of you guys go flying by with a grin on his face.
  2. rockymountainoyster

Oddometer:
    If we can blame the Arabs for alegebra can we blame the colonists, the Colombians, the Cubans or the Ceylonese for calculus? I know it was not created here in Catemaco, too many brujos.
  3. rockymountainoyster

Oddometer:
    There are many irritating shortcomings to the iPad as my principal internet tool while I am traveling. It's weight and size are the principal advantages. I use a Logitech keyboard with it and it is a mostly satisfactory addition. The arrow keys do not work with many, if not most iPad apps. The designers did not seem to have a keyboard in mind. I am a writer and like to use a keyboard. I have not "upgraded" to Tapatalk because I am allergic to apps designed by nerds to extract money from my pocket when the machine seems to work just fine without them. Kind of like Touratech farkles, no? The search engine, for what it is worth, even the site says the search engine is "sucky", works just fine for the purpose of searching key words on threads. You just have to patiently figure it out. That of course takes away from time spent reading, writing and posting pictures to ride reports not to mention riding. This said as I sit in a lakeside cafe in Catemuco sipping an adult beverage and thinking about smoking a righteous puro. Sucky this.
  4. rockymountainoyster

Oddometer:
    Bike cover is probably a good thing, just to hide stuff. I did not cover mine last night and someone nicked one of my PIAA stone guards last night. Unfortunately it was the remaining good one. The broken one was in my room for repair. I would not give a shit if the damn things were not the same price as one night at my hotel ($24 and change). Bastids.
  5. rockymountainoyster

Oddometer:
    Funny, I know a few moto babes who would be entirely excited at the idea of hookers and beer. Different web site.
  6. rockymountainoyster

Oddometer:
    We used to be at the age of certainty when we walked into the right bar and now we are just of a "certain age" Uncertainty can be unlocked with dinero but that is no damn fun at all.
  7. PirateJohn

PirateJohn Banned

Oddometer:
    Sadly for many of us old guys, we may forget what we lost but our women know all too well ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
  8. PirateJohn

PirateJohn Banned

Oddometer:

There is a new (at least to me) Tapatalk specifically for the iPad and it's much better than the old one for the iPhone. Has it's quirks, but it's not bad.

Your story reminds me of the time that I rode out of the Florida Keys when a hurricane was coming in. Was absolutely dripping soaking wet, and found an IHOP once I got off the Keys. Went to the back, stripped off some of my riding clothes, and tapped out my story of that episode using a Palm organizer and one of those fold up keyboards.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
  9. rockymountainoyster

Oddometer:
    Where did Trice get the baclava or was it bacalao and why was he carrying it in the pannier with his aceite de aceitunas. Did all of the Arab talk here make him nostalgic for the good 'ol days of whuppin ass from 7 miles high?
  10. bingo43

bingo43 ¡Que Viva!

Oddometer:
    That sounds like sound advice. I apreciate all the help. It will make things very smooth.
  11. rockymountainoyster

Oddometer:
    Do they serve it with the eyes like these guys?

[img]https://dfoyster.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/The-Way-South/i-8M3wmhd/0/M/image-M.jpg[/img]
    Mojarra (Lake Perch) from Lago de Catemaco, Vercruz. Served al mojo de ajo.

[img]https://dfoyster.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/The-Way-South/i-Cf7pbgz/0/M/image-M.jpg[/img]
    Huachinango (I love that word!), Pargo in Cuba. Red Snapper in Gringolandia. Served al mojo de ajo. My fave.

[img]https://dfoyster.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/The-Way-South/i-72w3cWG/0/M/image-M.jpg[/img]
    1 picture is worth...
  12. shu

shu ...

Oddometer:
    We rode down from Colorado a couple of days ago, following advice from someone on where to go from crossing at Ciudad Acuna. We didn't make Saltillo but stopped instead in Monclova.

Stayed at the Nuevo Hotel Viena near the bus station as recommended by Sjoerd's book. Very nice, new paint, good tile work, and excellent prices.

[​IMG]

Karst riding out in the morning from our secured parking.

[​IMG]

Thanks again............shu
  13. Tricepilot

Tricepilot Bailando Con Las Estrellas Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Snuck into Mexico at Santa Elena Canyon. Don't tell the Border Patrol.

[​IMG]
  14. rockymountainoyster

Oddometer:
    I have no f'ng clue why these photos did not load up. Did everything I usually do but no photos. Will investigate further.
  15. SkizzMan

SkizzMan Me caigo, me levanto

Oddometer:
    Like magic.
  16. miguelito

miguelito Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    OK Jimmex. Here's the new scoot with the Gulf Coast humidity trying its best to intrude on the Sierra Oriental:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The guy in the striped shirt is Alberto, who rode a train into the US at age 11, and left at 18 when his brother needed a kidney transplant and was deported. We went on our own personal pub crawl. Last bar was a strange place for me, white, American, old guy. Todo Hispanicos con putas. Alberto warned me, (although he really didn't need to), to not take any women home. Oh dear!

[​IMG]
    Got a $4 haircut from Carlos. That's not me in the chair BTW. ;)
  17. SkizzMan

Oddometer:
    When you cut and paste the SmugMug URL into the little pop up window you need to delete the "http://" in the pop up window field first.
    Then all is bueno.
  18. miguelito

Oddometer:
    BTW, I'm in Ciudad Valles. Note: Anyone riding between San Luis Potosi and Ciudad Valles should take the Libramiento between Rayon and Ciudad Valles. Great fun, nice curves, good pavement, and no diminishing radii in the corners.

Miguelito's fun facts for touring Mexico # 432: When staying in Ciudad Victoria, ride up Rt. 101 till it intersects the corta to SLP. You'll have to search to find it, but it's worth the effort. Beyond that intersection, it's dross, unless you're heading back to the East coast and Ciudad Valles. Then, it gets to be fun again. ;)
  19. SkizzMan

Oddometer:
    OK, lets see if we can't clear this up.
    [​IMG]

The baklava was hand-delivered to me last week from Amman, Jordan. The balaclava I bought last year at Academy.

Hope this helps.
  20. miguelito

Oddometer:

I was taking water pills today. Stopped 4 times for gas/check directions/piss in 10 hours. I am a shadow of my former self. I used to only stop twice. I am a broken machine! ;)