NEW Trailtech Voyager Pro - speculation and rumour

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by iggs, Oct 17, 2014.

1. iggs

iggs Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In response to a question on no recent updated to the Voyager in recent times Trailtech responded with the following:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=25306239

So it's obviously a higher spec PRO version of the popular Voyager

What would you expect or like to see?

Personally I'd like a similar (ideally same so current accessories work) 'landscape' form as this will fit where I need it to on the bike.

Main upgrades I'd like to see are all to do with the map and navigation so a colour screen and ability to load open source maps like those from http://openmtbmap.org

Basically a landscape version of my etrex powered from the bike and with all the additional sensor data already available in the current voyager

Different colour options for individual tracks and routes to allow differentiation on the screen

I guess ride leader would need upgrading to facilitate the uploading of maps onto SS cards in the same was base camp manages this on my garmin

Other things that would be cool would be wifi downloading of tracks (phone/tablet/laptop) maybe linked with a strava style app/web interface to track and share ride data

I prefer a gps instrument to log this kind of stuff rather than my phone as it means my phone battery doesn't get run down making it still useful (not flat) in the event of needing it for something important

Any thoughts?

Ian
  2. swaan

swaan Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes please! Voyager is great but I hope the Pro packs some navigation love.
  3. Firestone

Firestone Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Monitoring Desired-

1) Ambient Air
    2) Engine CHT
    3) Engine Oil Temp
    4) Engine EGT
    5) Engine Water Temp on applicable models
    6) Engine RPM
    7) System voltage
    8) Ammeter

Can't comment on the GPS as I haven't used it yet.
  4. jeepinling

jeepinling n00b

Oddometer:
    Any idea on a release date for the Pro? been holding off on getting a Voyager just because of the GPS functions of it. If the Pro version has good GPS mapping then im all over it :clap
  5. smoothmove

smoothmove Adventurer

Oddometer:
  6. TripleDaddy

TripleDaddy Hoping my skills exceed my horsepower

Oddometer:
  7. iggs

iggs Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hmmmmm, comments say it will be touch screen. I wonder if it will be touchscreen with gloves?

I purposely use the Etrex GPS units rather than the touchscreen versions because while the navigation is a lot more clumsy with the joystick I know that it will work not matter what I have on my hands (gloves, wet gloves, muddy gloves!!)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  8. swaan

swaan Adventurer

Oddometer:
  9. iggs

iggs Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Looks pretty

No navigation screens shown there though

I have my reservations on the touch screen but what it does allow is lots of pixel space because lots of physical buttons can be eliminated.

I'm really liking my voyager after over 800km of dunes in 2 weekends. I like having the various sensors, moving between menus is good, following a saved track is fine.

I am really surprised the functionality to follow a route of multiple waypoints is not there. That's a key offroad, adventure navigation orientated GPS function in my opinion.

10. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looks as though there are two (dummy?) buttons on each side of the screen. I prefer buttons to touchscreen.
  11. iggs

iggs Been here awhile

Oddometer:

No joystick (or similar) though. This would make something like moving a pointer on a map impossible.

12. swaan

swaan Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I wrote to Trailtech sales and they said this:
    To wait or not to wait :)
  13. jknight611

jknight611 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Any updates? Wonder if the TAT coordinates can be loaded?
  14. trail-tech

trail-tech Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    its touch screen.
  15. iggs

iggs Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Touch screens don't work with most gloves though

16. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:

a LOT of touch screens work fine with gloves on. you don't want to try and input text with them on that's for sure, but you sure as heck wouldn't want to do that with a joystick either.

put your riding gloves on and try out some screens at the local phone store, you'll be surprised how many work fine, assuming you aren't wearing winter mittens.
  17. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS

Oddometer:
    'trail-tech' didn't say what type of touch screen they were going to use. Some work better than others and there are lots of tradeoffs.

The primary downside for Capacitive Touchscreen's (most smartphones) is that the capacitive sensitivity must be high for gloves to work. This also creates a rather poor device for use in the rain.

Resistive touchscreen's (used on many GPS devices) are better for glove use but the downside is lower durability.
  18. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:

the good applications have option to lock the map screen, while still displaying the map (compass/direction/turn by turn/whatever)and all its overlays, so that accidental inputs (rain/mud/leaves) don't mess things up. it can even over ride the normal lock screen, for turning the screen on and off with the power button, without having to unlock with a swipe/pattern/pin. this is handy when raining/trail riding in moist conditions.

I use capacitive screens with riding gloves all the time, it's fine. thick winter gloves would be a no go. it's just too much of an annoyance to make bad inputs and try to correct them.
  19. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS

Oddometer:
    ohgood, By "the good applications..." I assume you are referring to LOCUS PRO:brow I know these things can be done, but since Trail-Tech didn't indicate which type of screen technology they will be using the discussion is rather moot.
    ohgood likes this.
  20. K1200LT

K1200LT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Summer 2015 is well and done! Anyone hear any additional news about the upcoming Voyager Pro model yet? Prices? Features? Thanks - Just checking!

Steve