The official XT225 thread!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by wickerman777, Nov 4, 2006.

1. Tom S

Tom S Can I ride it?

Oddometer:
    Thanks, Kingbee, that’s what I was looking for. Been years since I put a shim from a kit in a Keihin carb & couldn’t remember how thick it was. I only remembered that any thin washer that I measured was considerably thicker.
    Per your link the shims are .5mm or just a hair under .02”, (0.01968498”), thick.
    Oftentimes you don’t want to make much of a change to the needle height. Surprised that you went up 1.5mm.
  2. KamperBob

KamperBob Recreation Engineer

Oddometer:
    As some may recall in late August @24k miles I replaced the rear sprocket and chain on my 2006 XT225. (The sprocket was 45T stock size but aftermarket brand.)

Instead of another O-ring chain I bought two standard (unsealed) chains. Chain #1 was replaced in late October @26k miles. It measured 60.375" long. Chain #2 new measured 60" long. So it stretched 0.375" or 0.63% in 2k miles. Chain #2 was replaced today (late December) @28k miles. It measured 60.25" so stretch was 0.25" or 0.42% in 2k miles.

Caveats:
    * While mileage was similar between these two intervals road/trail conditions were very different. So this isn't really a "fair" comparison. Still some might be interested in these measurements anyway.
    * In both cases the "other" chain gets washed in gas (kerosene not readily available). Then after drying soaked in 30W oil for at least a week. Then drip dried before reinstallation.

The experiment continues. Going forward I'll keep a close eye on chain and sprocket wear during round #2 for both chains. I can swap sooner (ie, every 1k miles) if needed. Meanwhile, Plan A is to keep playing leap-frog between both chains every 2k miles.

Cheers
    Bob
  3. kewlbyme

kewlbyme Occasional Partaker

Oddometer:
    Interesting. I missed the set up.

Any surface cleaning or lube between swaps?

Any sign of sprocket wear?

I will look for updates.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
  4. woofer2609

woofer2609 Less flow, more Gnar

Oddometer:
    Cool Stuff, KamperBob, interestingly, I have the same maintenance routine on my commuter bicycle. I swap chains (but not sprockets) approximately every 6 months or 2200km's, and after 2 years, or two rotations on both, I replace the whole drive train.
    I know this'll make me sound like a know it all, but chains don't actually stretch, they develop play between the rivets and the plates.:mully
    Now, if only we could turn the rear sprocket over, think of the tooth life!
  5. Tom S

Tom S Can I ride it?

Oddometer:
    Bob, I may be wrong but I think that the point of cleaning the chain with kerosene is for O-ring chains as other stuff, including WD-40, is supposed to be hard on the O-rings.
    If you really want kerosene, as chain makers recommend, I believe that you could substitute diesel fuel. Diesel is at most any gas station & nearly the same thing as kerosene.
    I read that one main difference between kerosene & diesel is that kerosene does not have the lubrication properties that diesel does. Kerosene is added to diesel fuel to winterize the diesel.
    Last time I cleaned an O-ring chain real good I had a small amount of cleaning solvent in a gallon jug. I mixed some diesel in with it to have enough to submerge the chain & shake it around & so on.

As for soaking the chain in oil....
    Years ago before they made O-ring chains I would put the chain in a pan of oil & heat it on the stove. Must have read that method in a MC magazine.
    (X-)Wives love it too. :lol3
  6. inroads

inroads Go West old man

Oddometer:
    WD 40 has changed its formula somewhat thru the years.You use to be able to spray it into the intake almost like some diluted ether and have the bike fire off.
    Today's stuff is more tame.My point is: I use wd 40 extensively as a cleaner to keep my o-ring chain clean as to not ever get to a build up.I believe the problem with most chain lubes is they are not wiped clean after application and then tend to attract dirt.
    So I have gotten to the point since I ride off road often to just use wd-40 liberally and wipe clean after use.
    Many bikes and many years of WD-40 o-ring use with good results.But you do have to apply twice as often as chain lube.
    I do not believe todays WD-40 hurts O-ring chains.
  7. KamperBob

Oddometer:
    No visible sprocket wear. I don't clean the chain between swaps. I spray teflon/silicon lube into links and rollers whenever it seems prudent.
  8. KamperBob

Oddometer:
    Cool - thanks!

I'm skeptical about flipping sprockets over. Offset is an immediate obstacle.

Chuckle. I'm okay calling the increase in length of the whole chain stretch. It's measurable. That's the point. Marks on the wheel adjustor give another indication.

"If you cannot measure it, you cannot improve it." --Lord Kelvin :D
  9. KamperBob

Oddometer:
    You may be right.

I considered diesel but that would take another container. Whereas I have a gas can with (full time RVer) and I'm satisfied that's good enough. It's just solvent to break down gunky old oil so dirt particles can be swished out of the works and make way for fresh lube. Once dried gas residuals can't contaminate a bowl of clean oil too badly. That's my thinking anyway. Heck, my "clean room" these days is a picnic table...when dust isn't blowing. LOL
  10. KamperBob

Oddometer:
    I'll try to post some pix today. I don't see an "attach" option and my website FTP is down (temporarily I hope). Maybe it's time to set up one of them thare web-pic-share account thingiemajiggers. What do members here prefer - flicker, photo bucket, smug mug, something else?

:lurk
  11. GlennR

GlennR Chasin' my tail

Oddometer:
    I guess they are all about the same, but I have been using Photobucket. It's simple enough for me. :wink:

What is "FTP"?
  12. KamperBob

Oddometer:
    FTP is to websites sorta like the overhead door is to a garage. Much more appropriate for moving big things in and out. Whereas the pass-through door is sorta like browsing if I'm gonna flog that analogy. LOL (I think FTP is short for File Transfer Protocol.)

I started exploring Flickr this AM but I'll play with Photobucket too. Thanks! :D
  13. Travis28715

Travis28715 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have noticed the updated photobucket does not work with Opera which is my preferred browser. :deal I understand the owner of this site owns smug mug??
  14. KamperBob

Oddometer:
    Let's see if this works...
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Woot - since that worked pretty well here's the caption. Left is late Oct 2012 hung from a sign post. Middle is late Dec 2012 hung from a tree. Right follows. Top is new length of Chain #2 (taken Oct). Middle is length after first 2k miles wear on Chain #2 (Oct). Bottom is same for Chain #1 (Dec).
  15. GlennR

GlennR Chasin' my tail

Oddometer:

My website is hosted on Weebly.com I don't think I have to use FTP with it, but maybe it's called something different there. It was the simplest DIY & free website host that I could find when I created my site. I didn't want to learn the HTML stuff or pay somebody, since I figured it would need ongoing revisions.
    I did'nt have to use an image host, like Photobucket. But I did use a slideshow, which utilizes Flicker.
  16. Speedo66

Speedo66 Transient

Oddometer:
    No image coming through for me, says "currently unavailable".
  17. Speedo66

Speedo66 Transient

Oddometer:
  18. Oceanbum

Oceanbum Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm wanting to try a DIY windshield on my 03 xt225. Back in May of 2011 there was a post from someone who made one but the pics are gone. Does anyone have one they could post pics of or a link on building one?
    Thanks, Kevin :huh
  19. KamperBob

Oddometer:
    Sorry 'bout that. In my defense everything looked peachy in preview mode then barfed with unhelpful "Database Error" from AdvRider. I couldn't even see it was making a bunch of dufus posts. So I just nuked those. In AdvRider's defense I now suspect it was barfing on preview not published images on the Flickr side. I'm gonna give it one more try now that I finally think I got a handle on it...
  20. KamperBob

Oddometer:
    This is what my 2006 XT225 original sprockets looked like at replacement time (late Aug 2012).
    [​IMG]

A ratty grin with those teeth. Whadya expect after 24k miles?
    [​IMG]

Comparison of front sprockets. Not much wear visible. Slightly (consistently) scalloped roots, mostly eroded into leading edges of drive faces from contact stress of rollers. Note design differences in offset and number of thread holes for the retainer.
    [​IMG]

The new rear sprocket had no "dish" offset. That needed shimming. Not perfectly aligned but close enough. Side play of the front sprocket along shaft splines affords some leniency.
    [​IMG]

Lesson: aftermarket can save a few bucks. But! Just 'cuz they advertise it "will fit" doesn't mean you won't hafta make 'em fit. Buyer beware... (shrug)