Shoe advice.

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by velofish, Jan 6, 2013.

1. velofish

velofish Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Vying for the title of most boring thread ever.
    Usually, I'm pretty good at keeping an eye on my shoes and arch supports, but things have been busy lately and I didn't notice my work shoes were worn out until I blew out my bad knee. Again. So. . . time to shop for shoes. I'll be doing this via the innerwebs so I'm seeking advice on fit (true to size?), comfort and durability. And anything else you can think of.

I usually just take out the footbeds and substitute my jerry-rigged arch supports, but if you have arch supports you like, I'd be interested in hearing about that, too.

I've always loved Clarks. The real ones, not the new cheap stuff. These are my favorites:

[​IMG]

--------------------------------------

I ran across these Birkenstocks and have always liked their arch supports. Anybody use them or other Birk shoes?

[​IMG]

--------------------------------------------

How about these Modestos? Apparently have quite a loyal following.
    Edit: Mephistos, not Modestos.

[​IMG]

--------------------------------------

The Born. Got fantastic reviews on-line.

[​IMG]

---------------------------------------

Finally, the Dansko. Mixed reviews but mostly very positive. They certainly meet the Ugly requirement.

[​IMG]
  2. Dogscout

Dogscout Wow why and adventure

Oddometer:
    Doc Martins and Super Feet. I have settled on Docs for well built comfortable shoes and especially the Chelsea Boots that I can wear int he office and offer support and protection on the bike commute. Wifey bought me some Super Feet insoles back in August and another pair at Christmas. I like the Green insoles.
  3. NikonsAndVStroms

NikonsAndVStroms Beastly Photographer

Oddometer:
    Clarks, and LL Bean for me. The Clarks have survived 3 years of heavy use and are still going strong, I'm on my 3rd pair of LL Bean's in 5 years but they keep replacing them when they wear out :clap
  4. green hell

green hell yawning or snarling

Oddometer:
    get some good orthotics. the kind where they make little casts of your feet, then form the orthotics from them.

pricey, but they'll transform every pair of shoes you own.
  5. P B G

P B G Long timer

Oddometer:
    I prefer allen edmonds.

Just make sure if you are buying online that you can return for size exchange, and has removable footbeds.
  6. nt650dood

nt650dood n00b

Oddometer:
    I also really like Allen Edmonds for dress shoes. I wear orthodic inserts and my feet kill me if I forget them for a day.
  7. dwayne

dwayne Silly Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am in love with Keen shoes currently. Nice cushioning, good arch support, fits wide feet, reasonable cost/built quality.
  8. acejones

acejones Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have some Born loafer style shoes that are great for walking.
  9. velofish

Oddometer:

Thanks everybody!

I'm an Orthotist and part of my job is making foot orthotics. You ever see somebody with a prosthesis who walks terribly? Probably a Prosthetist. :D Same deal with Orthotists.
  10. troidus

troidus Long timer

Oddometer:
    Probably true of many professions. By the time you get off work, the last thing you want to do is the same stuff you just spent all day doing.
  11. P B G

P B G Long timer

Oddometer:
    Pst. send me some foamart and I'll make em, or do what every Orthotist does, drop your impressions off in the lab with out a work ticket and then pester someone until they get around to making you some inserts.
  12. velofish

Oddometer:
    Exactly right.

I ordered the Borns and the Clarks from Zappos. I'm used to the Clarks and the Borns got the best reviews, so I figured I'd try them. Free to and fro shipping so why not?
  13. P B G

P B G Long timer

Oddometer:
    Velo - with you and sportriders are CO's, anyone else on here?
  14. velofish

Oddometer:

Sorry I missed your first post. Damn right about the work orders, too. Our chief tech is an older woman and she is horribly overworked so I try to always get her a work order and a reasonable deadline. Poor thing put in a couple 12+ hour days last week doing some hospital work for me. I got her some Samuel Smith beer to try and make up for it.

Back to shoes-- anybody ever try Mozo shoes? I just heard about them and they got great reviews on Zappos.
  15. P B G

P B G Long timer

Oddometer:
    Fine back to shoes.
    I'm sure you've found as an Orthotist that size is only one side of the coin, fit is another, so depending on what sorts of lasts fit you well you can go forward. How would you describe your foot in terms of shape, width, instep girth etc?
    What about your thoughts on price point?
    From the styles you posted, I would at first glance point out Finn Comfort - but they can run higher in cost, but similar aesthetics, and removable foot beds in most of their shoes.

12 hours! Making custom TLSO's in house?
  16. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Aspiring advrider

Oddometer:
    I've had Born, Clarks and Keen. Keen are the best, followed by a close second by Born.

From a quality and comfort perspective...the Born should have won but their durablity was suspect. The few pairs Born I had weren't all that durable in the sole inside the shoe (arch support) though and were more of a dress shoe in quality of materials, fit and comfort.

The Keens are bulletproof (I like the Keen Austin) and their shape is very comfortable for everyday use.
  17. Dysco

Dysco Distracted

Oddometer:
    I wear those Danskos when I work as a nurse. Really comfy over a 12-13 hour shift on my feet. Good arches- better than an other shoe I have. The inside of the heal rubbed off/tore, but it's still comfortable and I'm still wearing them.
  18. tattewell

tattewell Mad Poser

Oddometer:
    I have no real footwear advice for you as i'm in the Army and my footwear needs are different than yours, however I do have these gucci insoles from Birkenstock of all companies that have fantastic arch support. I suffer from plantar fasciitis, so good insoles are important to me.
  19. Ursa Major

Ursa Major Bemused

Oddometer:
    Check out Ecco. Given some of the shoes you used as examples, you might like this style:

http://us.shop.ecco.com/ECCO-Track-...4_color=00741&dwvar_001944_size=40#q=track+II

They're not cheap, but they're incredibly comfortable. I bought a pair in Nordstrom by chance in 1995 or so, and I'm on my 20th pair or thereabouts; I'll wear a pair of these in high or low height 3 days out of 5. I take out the removable insole and use custom orthotics I had made 7 or 8 years ago. It works well.
  20. velofish

Oddometer:
    We farm out the TLSO's except for weekends. Thank goodness. I had a custom KO, custom art AFO's (padded, lots of straps, etc.) to delver on Saturday. Saturday was busy with those two, a TLSO at the hospital and a cranial to delver at the office. I'm finally off call and, believe me, that first beer tasted real good last night. :).

Thanks for all the shoe advice guys. :clap Zappos is easy but only had the Borns and Clarks in medium width and my foot is a bit wide. Historically, the Clarks should be OK but I won't be surprised if the Borns go back and I have to find something else. sigh. So, all these suggestions will come in handy.

PBG, I fit nicely into the Aetrex athletic shoes in a 12 wide.

FWIW, it may finally be time to make myself some custom orthotics. My feet aren't all that bad, it's the left knee that's missing some cartilage that really screws me up.

Joihn