Elefant Sightings?

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by erappaport, May 24, 2006.

1. Doghouse_Riley

Doghouse_Riley Wannabe Adventure Tourer

Oddometer:
  2. High Hope

High Hope World's Best Dog Supporter

Oddometer:
    Erappaport, are you looking at one in Maine? It seems that when it rains it pours, 'cause I've come across one too. They look beautiful, but I am thrown off a bit by the orphan status of them too. PM me on what has come up.
  3. robsmoto

robsmoto Motorcycleton

Oddometer:
    Mine is an 87 Cagiva E-650 with the Duc Pantah motor. The white frame takes a bit of work to keep clean. It is a heavy bike with a lovely sound and a fair amount of zip. At the ton the high fender will make things start to get a bit squirrelly.
    [​IMG]
  4. DesmoHead

DesmoHead Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What exhaust is that? Mine has a spark arrestor on it but something that lets a little more sound out could be nice. Another question, does your chain rub on the top of the swingarm? Mine is rubbing and I am trying to figure out something I could put on the swingarm for it to rub instead of the metal
  5. robsmoto

robsmoto Motorcycleton

Oddometer:
    I think that it is a Conti muffler. The previous owner said that he had to wait several months to get it after it was ordered (he worked at a Duc shop). It has a very rich, mellow, deep sound. I've had the bike about 10 years. Today the PO asked me if I'd sell the bike back to him... no way!!!

The original chain slider that protects the swingarm wore out last summer. I made a replacement using some thin sheets of nylon and plastic. Seems to be working ok.

I had a leaking oil sight glass last fall. I couldn't find a replacement one for the Pantah moter anywhere in the USA. Finally a place in Oz called Road and Race had plenty of spares. That's where I'll order the non-standard Duc stuff henceforth.
    http://www.roadandrace.com.au/
  6. Duck900

Duck900 Highway Man

Oddometer:
    I think I incluced a picture or 3 of my elefant (sorry, first post). I just bought it a few months ago at the Kawasaki dealer. I was wanting a KLR for $5k, but the duc was much less. Loads of fun and simple to work on. Letko cycles in Kansas City supports them, but other Ducati dealer don't know and don't care. There is a great online community at http://www.elefantman.com/ If you are inclined to do your own maintenance the guys on the list will know more than you local dealer.
    Mike
    West Texas
  7. rjf

rjf SBS's #1 fan in January

Oddometer:
    Gosford, NSW, Aust. Scrambler, 640Adv, 300EXC
    Thats a steal for 2/5 of a KLR. I've read where you guys say they're hard to get parts for. This is probably 205, but they were sold as cagiva's here, posibly everywhere outside the USA. Perhaps if you tried to order parts from MV Agusta / Cagiva you'd be able to get them.

And would someone hurry up and post some pic's of an elephant in the Lucky strike Explorer warpaint. :thumb
  8. Stuntman

Stuntman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    PM

9. bajaburro

bajaburro Ancient Adventurer

Oddometer:
    2,000.00 ? such a deal!
  10. unknown1

unknown1 At Peace

Oddometer:
    Are there aftermarket seats for these? What is it like 2up? Can you get the mounts for cases easily?
  11. Jim Rowley

Jim Rowley Rise above

Oddometer:
    Corbin makes one. I'm sure the other seat makers would do something for you too. Plenty of power for two up riding. Bags mounts may be a little harder to get but IIRC Jesse makes mounts and bags for it.

Jim.
  12. Stuntman

Oddometer:
    You can obtain:

Hepco & Becker mounts, bags and crash bars from

http://www.eurotechmotorsports.com/

Jet kit and performance filter from

www.factorypro.com

Fork valves and custom fork springs from

http://www.race-tech.com/

Custom rear shock from

http://www.worksperformance.com/html/home.html

and as said above, custom seat from

www.corbin.com

The elefant 900 definitely has enough power for two up. If you decide to really load her down, you might want to consider the Works shock since it has better valving, larger oil capacity and can incorporate a quick adjust knob for the preload like the BMWs.

I hope this helps.
  13. unknown1

unknown1 At Peace

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info. One other question. is there a site out there that shows the specs of all or most of the adventure bikes?
  14. Stuntman

Oddometer:
    Not that I have ever found. I have owned or ridden most of them out there except the KTM 950. If you have any particular question, I might be able to help.
  15. unknown1

unknown1 At Peace

Oddometer:
    The dilema. Can only have one bike. I'm selling my R1100RTP which I really like. I want a duo sport. I want to be able to go 2 up with some comfort for wife / daughter. I will commute most days which is 50 miles round trip. I do like the look of the bikes with more plastic. Elefant, African Twin and it's siblings. Tiger. Limited to around $6k. Want to be able to go most anyplace. Reliability pretty important. Parts availability somewhat important.
  16. Fubars

Fubars What would Scoobydo?

Oddometer:
  17. Stuntman

Oddometer:
    A for the Elephant, most parts are available except plastic. Engine, breaks, suspension, etc are easily supported. I have always found my Ducati's to be vey reliable if they are maintained properly. The weakest link, imo, is the dry clutch. You have to be a little more gentle on it than a typicle wet clutch. Other than that, it is a pretty capable bike in the right hands. Parts are easily obtainable on the Tigers as well. Altough, accessories on for pre-1999 tigers are pretty hard to find. As for reliabiltiy, they are pretty good. A little more to go wrong that the duck with water cooling. Plus a little heavier. The Africa Twin I have never owned and I am not the right person to comment on it. But I do think they are cool as hell!!! Have you also considered an older BMW R100GS? Tons of parts, bullet proof, and pretty good off-road if you know what you are doing.
  18. Stuntman

Oddometer:
    I saw that bike as well. Original owner! Pretty amazing. It has the Showa forks. All of the 94's and 95's came with Showas.
  19. Desertpistons

Desertpistons 80s dakar

Oddometer:
    This the Marathon that made it from Europe to the US. It's a 900 Marathon biult by the Azzalin family (the same ones that built the dakar bikes for cagiva...like HPN is fro BMW) It has a 944 engine, stainless steel exhaust, different forks, longer swing arm, back tank, water tank and a 5 gears gearbox. They were the last bikes sold to the privateers to race the dakar. I love it.:rofl

[​IMG]

By the way I have trashed the UGLY stickers. Now is white like a pearl!!! with the Luck explorer stickers...
  20. Fubars

Fubars What would Scoobydo?

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

:tb

Got any more photos of that? What's the total fuel capacity with the Aux. tanks? Are those forks adjustable? And is that a dual muffler set-up?