Hacking North by NorthEast...

Discussion in 'Hacks' started by Abenteuerfahrer, Jun 9, 2010.

1. deafPOPEYE

deafPOPEYE Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sharon, Not Susan but Sushi. Looks delicious! U decided to rest up by not using your rig. :1drink Are you heading South afterward? Will want to use your route not in too distant future. Looks adventurous in spite of cold weather. Not me! BRAVO!!!
    Bobeye:super
  2. hondachopper

hondachopper Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the second map. It provides depth and meaning to the whole picture for me!!!

And...The FOOD! Wow, that last picture really got to me. That there my friend is MY kind of food.

I'm enjoying your history lessons and as usual---your RR.

Tom
  3. koifarm

koifarm Twas ever thus!

Oddometer:
    +1 on that one....wow...gourmet food!mmmmmmmmmmmm!
  4. Abenteuerfahrer

Abenteuerfahrer Deaf on Wheels

Oddometer:
    Hi Popeye..

Our intention is to return from the Island tomorrow after having immersed ourselves within this wonderful culture here. Planning to get to St. Johns for a day or 2 then take the 14 hr ferry back to the mainland. You must come here..rain...shine...ice...moose..., pronto...come in August...but the ICEBERGS will have long gone in becoming icecubes for your coke! :lol3
  5. DirtyDR

DirtyDR Dana Supporter

Oddometer:
    So if I take the ferry over there I get a French stamp on my passport?

Next Wednesday I am on my way up there.
  6. Abenteuerfahrer

Oddometer:
    You're upbound from where? Maybe we'll rendezvous along the Cabot Trail?? Darn, we're coming inbound to the mainland at North Sidney, NS on Wednesday too. 14 hr trip from Argentia, NFLD on Tuesday.

Yep, one sometimes has to ask for "Le Stamp":deal to be stamped....
  7. DirtyDR

DirtyDR Dana Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm running from Colorado to Des Moines and then north from Des Moines. I haven't decided if I will go up through Thunder Bay, ON and across or cut over to Sault Ste. Marie and head east yet but I don't have to decide that until Friday morning. You will probably be long gone by the time I get there. I should be in Happy Valley/Goose Bay on Tuesday and then Phase III on Wednesday if all goes right so Newfoundland on Thursday July 1st is a possibility.

Keep posting these nice tips though, I am taking notes.
  8. Abenteuerfahrer

Oddometer:
    Another day on St. Pierre...wanted to immerse ourselves in the local culture and it's local fare.

This morning the island was enshrouded in fog and so was the rest of all fogged-in Wi-Fi's here. Hardly anything could be sent off island at warp speed although we had 5 bars showing. I guess it goes to mainland France then bounces back to the Smugmugs USA?? :pynd :pynd Hmmnnn....

Everything is open come 0800-1200 hrs but closed for lunch from 1200-1300 hrs so that the folks can be home with the kids, wife and for that matter. The whole Town is a Ghosttown, not a soul in sight until 1300-1330 hrs! It's all ISLAND TIME...take it easy....wooo...we did:freaky

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Our BB....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

For those Francophile Auto lovers...

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG] Citroens; Renaults; Peugeots; Opel....

Court House..

[​IMG]

Someone petitioned to get married...any disputes??....then a license is issued for the public to view of who marries WHO...

[​IMG]

Village Cathedral

[​IMG]

Town Square Memorial honoring seafaring Mariners..

[​IMG]

Like I said we got fogged in and it hardly lifted for the day as a warm southern breeze came up to meet the cold, cold Atlantic...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

St. Pierre's Coast Guard...

[​IMG]

Local French School kids...Wi-Fi's; Ipads; Textings;...phones, etc also are the norm here...

[​IMG]

Here is an example of the hours of operation of stores; bars; restaurants..which is pretty standard...no exception. Family is nummero uno!

[​IMG]

We wanted to add another day here; get involved with the daily lifes of the lovely locals...so were told to go to a Bar to get the Ferry ticket changed.
    In a bar....woooo....yep!..go there and he'll post your change on the Laptop to be send to Les Marinerie on the docks for tomorrows departure at 1445 hrs....

[​IMG]

Will change schedule with the purchase of a Beer...:freaky :lol3 ; no, just kidding...

[​IMG]

The bartender who's the owners son wanted to hear our travels and was proud to show off his Suzuki crotch machine...parked in the Bar:eek1

[​IMG]

More about Town...

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The French Flag proudly flies at the Town Square which also had a commemorative ceremony honoring Gen. Charles DeGaulle...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

At Attention...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We participated in the event...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Madame Magistrate...

[​IMG]

To be continued...
  9. Abenteuerfahrer

Oddometer:
    Mesdames & Messieurs...

After you labor posting the narrative and pictures this darn photo-uploader goes bongers.....in the middle of having to wait for 2 hours for a camera to Smugmug download and then phffffffff....grrrrrrrrr!!!!

Part of the mystery surrounding this Island I guess and the Adventure is still on.

Just lost the Islands internet....:eek1

SMUGMUG is down?

Will resume when the FOG ??...lifts:lol3
  10. twintwin

twintwin Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Very nice report, give me the will to visit this lost French territory, so close from where I live in NY, well on a map!
    I was wondering how this poor rider can enjoy his bike on a 10 sq miles island?:cry
    Why did you not bring your rig on the island!
  11. Abenteuerfahrer

Oddometer:
    Le General of St. Pierre talking to the local future St. Pierre kiddie generation..

[​IMG]

We decided to follow the procession with the Town folks...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Le Captain de Gendarmerie...and his Madam...

[​IMG]

Memorial of the fallen of St. Pierre who have served in the wars...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sharon meeting with Le General of the Town of St. Pierre/Miquelon....quite an honor having shaken hands with such a high ranking French individual. Sharon got goosepimples....:wink:

[​IMG]

Back into Town..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We strolled along the wharf spying for some lunch...and came upon some offshore blue water sailboats. Reminds us of our former days when we went blue water sailing ourselves....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If you happen to be a sailor or know the story of Eric Tabarly who participated in many races around the world but sadly was claimed by an accident board his boat. He's with Neptune now....
    This quay was named in his honor.

You can visit the story here: http://www.sailing.org/halloffame/21218.php

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hate to end this somber story ...then go to

...... lunch.....

NOT a good feeling...
  12. Abenteuerfahrer

Oddometer:
    Twintwin....

Wondered about where can he could ride on this speck of land??? Well, he's the son of a Hotelier, Bar, and Restaurant owner on the Island who has clout. Might also be friends of Le General and Le Captaine de Gendarmerie....so he gets to show off the big toys while everyone else hops around on a scooter.

The Island does not allow visiting vehicles to be ferried and no provisions are made to have a car ferry from Fortune, NL. Only French citizens who reside there are allowed motorized vehicles.
  13. Abenteuerfahrer

Oddometer:
    Smugmug on the fritz again....
  14. Abenteuerfahrer

Oddometer:
    Smugmug is finally back again...and hope it stays locked

I know, i know...lots of food being displayed sans bike and sidecar. Well, the rig is on the ROCK and motorized vehicles are not allowed to be ferried here and there is no car ferry.

Regarding food....you know the French who take eating seriously: presentation; taste; time to finish a meal; complimenting the Le Chef...never goes out of style compared to us Americans who simply fill our colons with stuff my dog would'nt even eat. Well, we eat mostly corporate foods and feed our dogs corporate dog foods as well..while here everything is local and they share their masters dish...hmmnnnn...man's best and loyal friend bred on Alpo:puke1????, not here!

The chefs are celebrated here for their genuine creative cuisine and one simply has to come here without having to fly to Paris at great expense. It is just that we had to taste everything that comes from the earth and sea of this island and what a delight it has been. Oh, yes...we gained a few Kg:eek1

Le Lunch...

Brochette au Boeuf

[​IMG]

Buurppp...was so full forgot what it was..but delicioso..

Poulet a la something...

[​IMG]

2100 hrs dinner...

Appetizer

La Soupe l'oignon gratinee

[​IMG]

La Terrine de St. Jacques et Crevettes, creme d'estragon

[​IMG]

Main Entree

Le Grand Magret de Canard sauce Plattebiere de Miquelon

[​IMG]

La Pollee de Rogous de veau facon grand-mere

[​IMG]

Oh, man....:freaky :clap :1drink :norton :D

Buenos Noche...uh, eh too much Biere..I mean Bonne Nuit, agreables reves!
  15. RAZ1

RAZ1 Airhead fan

Oddometer:
    Actually, the "General" looks like a Préfet (Prefect) to me. IOW, he is a civilian (prefects are representatives in the provinces of the French government).

And, although Tabarly was indeed lost at sea (I think his body washed ashore in southern England a few weeks later), it was not the Southern Seas but the Irish sea, long after his transatlantic sailing victories.
  16. koifarm

koifarm Twas ever thus!

Oddometer:
    What a wonderful little island, how charming and what fun! You can surely sense the difference between French and the mainlanders....
    There was a picture of what I think was a traditional fishermans Dory, the Le Catchalot, which plucked my heartstrings as I am very much into wooden boats of the small kind. What beautiful lines!
    Loved the pic of Sharon and the General....if you notice in the previous picture of him, he had his eyes on her already...be careful Elmer, you know how smooth talking these Frenchies are!!
    Glad to see you were extending on the island, it would appear to be quite a wonderful place to explore, loved the colorful paint schemes on the buildings as well.
    You two sure do a great job of describing your journeys, I should think you would do well with a short book of each of your journeys kind of a travelog of all the places you have found in your travels good and bad to help future travelers find the good stuff!
    Looking forward to the next installment....
    koi
  17. Abenteuerfahrer

Oddometer:
    Sharon posting here...Our B&B owner, Inez took me in her car and drove me around the island which has 70.8 miles of paved roads and 28 miles of unpaved roads (I would not have believed it if Inez didn't take me around).

First a few pictures in the town...
    [​IMG]

Crab packaging plant...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

one of my favorite picture...few people live on this island across the way from St. Pierre (5 minutes by boat) during summer months only...
    [​IMG]

this part is connected to mainland of St. Pierre
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

road leads to the outskirts of St. Pierre...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

many horses on this island...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bessie....not many cows here. St. Pierre gets their milk from Newfoundland.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

le beach.....
    [​IMG]

this is the lobster rock because lobsters are always swimming around this rock... lobsters can be for the taking by locals and they wade in the water during summer months and catch them.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

France is over that a way.....
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and few other pictures that did not download :dunno :confused :2cry

We leave today at 1400 hrs on the ferry back to Fortune, NL and work our way towards St. John's. Going out to pick up a few good pastries before we go on le diet!!

Au Revoir...
  18. Abenteuerfahrer

Oddometer:
    RAZ...you're right, I stand corrected.:thumb
  19. Abenteuerfahrer

Oddometer:
    le breakfast.....
    [​IMG]

our hostess...her B&B is "Chez Inez" Inez is a native St. Pierrian born & raised on the island as her parents were. Her sisters & brother are still here except 1 niece who lives in France. If you come....stay with her! :norton
    [​IMG]
  20. koifarm

koifarm Twas ever thus!

Oddometer:
    More amazing pictures of such a quaint island and residents.
    Isn't the French way of presenting food the absolute best!!?
    Bet y'all are gonna miss this place when you go....I know I'd probably find a way to stay there if it was me....what a charming place and people.
    Oh, btw...Bessie is a bull....don't think you can get milk out of that one:D

Thanks so much for all the wonderful pictures and information.....
    koi