Need help picking boots

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Little Bike, Dec 10, 2012.

1. pingvin

pingvin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    +1 on SIDI crossfire (TA, not SRS), doesn't feel like ski boots because of the flexible ancle joint. And only used them a few times so guess will be even better. On some of the others hinged boots like Forma and Gaerne, the tip culs up while crossfire is almost straight, this together with low toe box (no inner sock) makes getting under gear lever easier.

Guess to some extent a trade off between comfort/walking and safety. I don't walk anything in these boots just want better feel, especially for gear shifting, this has been a major issue for me on other mx boots.

I realize price is an issue...but I would not save on boots, good boots is an investement in all respects and could make the difference. That new kitchen can wait :D<!-- google_ad_section_end -->
  2. 35xj

35xj Long timer

Oddometer:
    I bought 2 pairs of boots this year, a SIDI crossfire, and a gr=earne balance oiled.
    Bought the SIDI initially thinking it would be the perfect do it all boot, trail ride on my husaberg, race the 2 stroke, and dual sport on my 950.

Its awesome as a race boot, pretty damn good for spirited trail riding, and good on the 950. Instantly pretty comfortable, no break in time required, very high quality and VERY protective! They leak like a sieve, sqeak when i walk, and are moderatly comfortable for walking in.
    Then i bought a pair of Gearne balanced oils. Instantly super comfortable! No break in time at all, Very nicely made, waterproof, and good enough looking that i can wear them with jeans and not look too racy. Great for walking standing in, not a problem to ride, walk, hike, stand in for 10-12 hours. They have nowhere near the protection of the Sidi. I wouldnt dream of racing in them, and will most likely never really trail ride in them. But for dual sporting on the 950, they are awesome!
    if you keep looking at all the mail order sites, closeout deals pop up on really nice gear pretty often, and pretty cheap.

I guess what i have realized, is that all boots are a compromise in one way or another, its just a matter of picking the compromise that works better for you. Good luck!
  3. Little Bike

Little Bike Air/Clutz Sue Supporter

Oddometer:
    I can probably only afford one boot right now - sounds like the crossfires worked fine dual sporting? I'm mostly worried about their comfort on the slab getting out to dirt (I plan on doing touring on the xt250, so there will probably be some 200 mile days on the pavement), first long ride will be going to the Death Valley rally, about 300 miles from my house.
  4. biensur22

biensur22 litigious poster

Oddometer:
    that's ambitious! I don't even plan on riding my 640 up to DV from san diego.

That said, since you know you can only get one boot and want the best mix of protection and comfort, why don't you have cycle gear order you both the crossfires and the gaernes sg10. at least i'd go with the 10s based on your price range - and see which one you like better? I did that when i bought my gaerne balance oiled boots, just returned the pair i didn't want. They were thrilled to have the business and I was thrilled i didn't have to deal with shipping costs and such. also may want to ask you local shops if they'd be willing to do the same.

Thing is, I know that i have a gaerne foot, alpine stars don't fit in the slightest, and even sidis aren't wide enough for me. But just about every gaerne i've tried on has fit like a glove. Different companies build their boots around different molds (lasts) and the gaerne last just fits me better.
  5. CO/WV

CO/WV Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What I read was "I tried this, I tried that, I have 10 pair of boots, blah blah blah. Get the crossfires
    One and done.
    Like them on my dirt bike. Like them on my 1200gs
  6. Little Bike

Oddometer:
    My local shop will order in both for me - I'm just trying to crack open the wallet! I'd also like to look at the Discoverys - see if they can get a pair of those in too. What's a pain is that you have to pay and then if it doesn't work out they do a return....I need to see if cycle gear will order them in without the prepay. That's a lot of cash! Have to do 1 at a time.

I did a 4200 mile trip on my rebel 250 this summer and had a great time, but pales in comparison to the kid who rode from Thousand Oaks, CA to New York on a 80 cc scooter.....his ride is posted somewhere on the site.
  7. Little Bike

Oddometer:
    That's good to hear that you like them on your gs
  8. biensur22

biensur22 litigious poster

Oddometer:
    i'll save you the suspense - they won't. :huh
  9. Little Bike

Oddometer:
    After reading everybody's responses I realize that what I really want is something I can ride slab and dirt in and the boots will be comfortable for long slab rides. Not worried about walking around any more.

I'm home sick today - thank goodness for forum! and all of the great advice for a noob!
  10. Little Bike

Oddometer:
    argh. Guess I'll start with the crossfires and go from there.
  11. Little Bike

Oddometer:
    Just ordered in a pair of crossfire tas and a pair of Sidi adventure goretex into the local shop to try on. Wish me luck!

Not sure what happened to my budget.....grrrrrrr....
  12. GSF1200S

GSF1200S Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You will not even feel Crossfires or SG10s when you break them in- they are very very comfortable made with good materials and built to last. If all you are concerned with is comfort on bike for slab as well as protection on dirt, skip anything but the Crossfires or SG10s. When trying them on, dont ask which is more comfortable- try with the mindset that ankle protection is most important and see whether you can tolerate any of the shortcomings you might find.
  13. FoolHardy

FoolHardy Still Inky

Oddometer:
    I can wear my crossfire's all day. I find them very comfortable even after 10 hour days. I also thought my Tech 3's were pretty darn comfortable too, but after I broke my ankle dropping my KLR on myself in my worn out Tech3's I upped the protection level with the Sidi TA's. Not sure if anything can really survive the weight of a KLR flopping on top of you but they are definitely a step up from the Tech 3's. I thought the Crossfire's were out of my budget, but then, those titanium screws the hospital sold me were pretty expensive too.
  14. ownst1100

ownst1100 BLUES TRAVELER 04'GSA

Oddometer:
    If interested I have a pair of Sidi Discovery Rain boots size 12.5 / 47 in GREAT shape I wore only on the bike during road trips that I just haven't gotten around to listing. Only $100.

2 years ago I bought a GoldWing and just have no need for them anymore.
  15. Little Bike

Oddometer:
    Thanks, but I'm only a 7.5 and I want something with a lot of protection. Those are nice boots though!
  16. Little Bike

Oddometer:
    Apparently everybody with a 7.5 foot got a pair of crossfire tas for Christmas! The ones I ordered are backordered until February. I hit the internet and found one pair in black. Paid a little extra for deliver by 12/31 so I can take off to Anza Borrego for a few days.

Thanks all for the good advice :clap
  17. BigDuck

BigDuck Don’t be too practical.

Oddometer:
    I have a pair of Sidi Crossfires that have been good for a couple of years. Now I find that my little toes are starting to hurt on the edges after a couple of hours riding.
    I've: removed the sole liner thing, walked in them wet all day fencing, cut bits off my toes, tried thinner socks.
    No, I need bigger boots.

So my question is, instead of getting another larger sidi crossfire..... they are known on this forum as having a narrow toe box; what is a similar quality boot that has a bigger toe area for flatter feeted fookers like me? Gaeren SG10????
  18. squish

squish Waiting to see

Oddometer:
    Yellow devil gear exchange in long beach has a wide selection of decently priced lightly used off road boots.
  19. BigDuck

BigDuck Don’t be too practical.

Oddometer:

Disregard this. I've spent the past time checking all the threads about this on the internet, and will go for the Gaerne SG12. Mainly because the consensus seems to be that the Gaerne has a slightly wider boot. Also the pictures seem to show that the Gaerne does not have such a big hinge bolt on the inside like the Sidi's.
    Also I noted that the Euro/UK sizing, not US seems to fool some people.

I wear Salomon boots size Euro 46&2/3 which is UK 11.5 and US12. So I"m going to get the same size in Gaerne, if they are a little loose, I'll go with hiking (thicker) socks.

FE-Moto.de out of Germany seems to be the cheapest.

Anyone got any input to this before I list my oldies for sale & order some newies?

edit: bugger, SG12s no longer available....????
  20. Brtp4

Brtp4 Powdercoat it. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Blakduk, just a heads-up on width.....SG10s are slightly wider than SG12s (because the 12s have more internal padding).

Hope that helps.

BP