Inheritance car surprised me - Buick Lacrosse

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by NJ-Bill, Feb 20, 2013.

1. Bueller

Bueller Cashin?

Oddometer:
    I believe the "your father's [insert brand here]" was Oldsmobile.
  2. LuciferMutt

LuciferMutt Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer:

"That damn thing would freeze up in the middle of summer on the EQUATOR!"
  3. Ken

Ken Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sorry about your dad and cool car! I've always like them :nod
  4. NJ-Bill

NJ-Bill Life is good Supporter

Oddometer:
    I saw the Shaq commercial. Is it me or does he look too big for the Lacrosse?

I am 5'9" and I fit fine. The Lacrosse has an extremely quite ride; probably the quietest car I have ever driven. It also has an impressive stereo. Do they still call that thing in the dash a stereo? :huh

5. madeouttaglass

madeouttaglass Hippie Ki Yay! Humboldt changed my life.

Oddometer:
    The Lost Coast of California, occasionally AZ
    I believe Buick calls it a HiFi.
  6. NJ-Bill

NJ-Bill Life is good Supporter

Oddometer:
    That makes sense. However, I am still trying to find the slot for my 8-tracks.
  7. FlagRS

FlagRS Gone to the Dogs

Oddometer:
    Big Buick's are nice rides. My wife and I borrowed my dad's new V-8 LaSabre back in '84 for our honeymoon. All night honeymoon ride from Flagstaff to Mission Bay in the big Buick, good memories.

Sorry about your dad.
  8. Guano11

Guano11 Stop me if you've heard this one....

Oddometer:
    Guanowife needs a new car and the Buick Encore is at the top of her list for the reasons above -- Quiet is a top priority.
    The Encore, new for 2013, is a rebadged Korean import that's been upscaled and "silenced" commensurate with the brand. It even incorporates noise cancellation via the "hi-fi" to counter the 1.4L turbo's buzziness. We drove one; it wasn't as serene as we'd been led to believe, but waaay better than the 16-yr-old Rav4 it'll replace. It was also quieter than the 2013 CTS-V wagon we drove (salesman insisted.....) -- but not NEARLY as fun.:eek1

Still, $30K+ is a lot of coin for a Buick-ized, Korean-built, mini-SUV -- but for small, quiet, & upscale, it's the only game in town.
    [​IMG]
  9. A-Bone

A-Bone Indubitably

Oddometer:
    That got a nice write up recently as well...

Interior looks very nice...

http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews/driven/1212_2013_buick_encore/
  10. vtwin

vtwin Air cooled runnin' mon Supporter

Oddometer:
    This thread reminded me of a story I read in a magazine that I vaguely remembered. Goes something like this: Reporter of a magazine is meeting a F1 driver at a track. They are going to test drive several fast cars around the track. The F1 driver pulls up in a Lincoln, not some fancy sports car of which he could definitely drive and afford. Reporter was surprised and asked, F1 guy says he can drive fast anytime, he wants comfort when he's on the streets. Maybe they have something there.:lol3 Still doesn't detract me from wanting that CTS-V wagon with 6 speed.:evil
  11. Otis the Sasquatch

Otis the Sasquatch [This space for rent]

Oddometer:
    BTW, I'm glad GM finally started including decent sound. For years, even into the 200X models, they sucked. My 2001 Chevy Express Passenger van has 11 speakers, and they're just 11 sources of crap. :lol3

My '97 LHS came w/ a good Infinity 10-speaker system. When it got rear-ended, I bought a '95 Riviera. Each car had it's share of weak and strong points. But the Riv sound system was ultra-lame, especially coming straight out of the LHS.

Best feature on the Riviera? The SEATS. Oh.... My....Gosh. I once did a 600mi day, and felt like I could go another 600 no problem.
  12. FlySniper

FlySniper Bleh...

Oddometer:
    My wife has a 2007 LaCrosse (also inherited from her father). ... I just don't see the car as being all that great. The engine is great (but the 231/3.8 always has been the best engine put out by GM :evil), but the interior feels very cramped even compared to the beater Dodge Neon that I drive. Even the kids would rather take the Dodge rather than the Buick.

But it is pretty quick:rofl.
  13. p3ga

p3ga Rounding Error

Oddometer:
    Sorry about your loss.

My bride's 2011 just turned 45k miles. Great car, nothing other than gas & regular maintenance. We've been pleasantly surprised, they really nailed it with the Lacrosse.
  14. garandman

garandman Wandering Minstrel

Oddometer:
    Acura RDX?
  15. Guano11

Guano11 Stop me if you've heard this one....

Oddometer:
    Hmm. That was formerly on the top of her list, but I thought it was ugly and buzzy & helped talk her down from that ledge -- but that was the turbo 4 I drove a few years ago (before SH AWD). The new V6 and subsequent refinements mentioned throughout your link may pull her back, at least for a test drive.

Still, smaller is better, and the Encore beats it there....but it's untested in the real world whereas an Acura is a sure thing. Worth the extra coin if we're going all-in, too.

Must reconsider.....thanks for the vector!:wink: