XRL owners sign in.

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by onaXR, Jan 18, 2006.

1. my6

my6 Long LongTimer...

Oddometer:
    Nice to know as I have just ordered my 2" R/Risers. Thanks TJR.
  2. techforlife

techforlife CDI REPAIR

Oddometer:

That`s part of the next lobe down you are seeing,smarten up:lol3

:lol3

B
  3. mcma111

mcma111 Long timer

Oddometer:

But of course it's cloverleafe'd with BIG valves

[​IMG]
  4. mcma111

mcma111 Long timer

Oddometer:

The cam chain doesn't make noise and go away when warm. What this noise is, is the oil pump bypass valve bouncing back 'n forth until the oil warms up some.

If your buying a used XRL the one big thing to check for is worn countershaft splines.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  5. JWhitmore44

JWhitmore44 pistolero

Oddometer:
    Personally I like these
    http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/fox-racing-comp-5s-boots
    If you have big calves that extension on the inside of the leg will rub and cause pain. Even jean pant legs fit over these.
  6. JWhitmore44

JWhitmore44 pistolero

Oddometer:
    If you get pigs close to mud they want to roll in it :rofl
  7. JWhitmore44

JWhitmore44 pistolero

Oddometer:
    Check the counter shaft for ware and then put an XRR sprocket on it.

oops, I see Steve has that covered :D
  8. Ulyses

Ulyses Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not sure if anyone is going to chime in on this one, so I'll give it a go. If you're thinking of using the big ammo cans (say 40mm gernade cans) like the ones pictured below, I would recomend against it.

[​IMG]

I was all about it at first. I had a bunch lying around from my time in the military; they were free and cool looking. And then I broke my luggage rack a few times because the damn things weigh 22 pounds apiece EMPTY! Still, if you make your rack strong enough, reinforce the subframe, and are willing to sacrifice a little speed and power, go for it.

If, however, you want to use something smaller like a .50 cal can or maybe a 7.62mm can, you'd probably be fine. How you mount them depends on how you made your rack. For example, I wanted to put a .50 cal can on my harley. I welded a small bracket on the backside of the can to reinforce it (forgive the shoddy welding; I hadn't touched a welder in 10 years when I did this and I decided to do it with gas):

[​IMG]

Then I just drilled some holes through the bracket and the can that matched up with the subframe/fender holes and a hole on my sissy bar bracket, got some longer bolts and a bunch of washers, and slapped it all together.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hope that gives you some ideas. Really, it all depends on how you made your rack.
  9. Ulyses

Ulyses Long timer

Oddometer:
    Spud, I'm digging the tool tube! :thumb Glad to see I'm not the only one. When did you put that on?
  10. Hazman27

Hazman27 The Haz

Oddometer:
    I too would recommend not using them, any size. When my Pig needs to take a nap, I do not want my leg pinned under a steel, unforgiving bear trap! Think about a two track trail, or a single track where a tree might reach out and grab your box, (I've probably never done a 180' so fast.) I'm not starting a pissing match, steel vs. fabric but...
  11. Lane_N

Lane_N Pig Wrangler

Oddometer:
    I crashed my bike in a snow drift yesterday too. Such nice weather, but still a few weeks away from having passable trails in my corner of the world. People are still riding snowmobiles in the high country here.

I took this picture just where it was starting to get muddy. I didn't touch my camera again after I got slathered in mud.

[​IMG]
  12. beechum1

beechum1 Dandole Gas al Burro

Oddometer:
    Anyone goon to order those LED PCM units off eBay? I need a handful. Add it to your order and ill gladly pay a little extra for the brokerage.
  13. kenny61

kenny61 old and crippled

Oddometer:
    Flashlight?

[​IMG]
  14. mcma111

mcma111 Long timer

Oddometer:

call me
  15. my6

my6 Long LongTimer...

Oddometer:
    Lane...How are you liking the HWDB's? I'll be ordering mine next week.:D
  16. RZRob

RZRob Long timer

Oddometer:
    Still have my farkled new XRL, but sold this one yesterday. It sold quickly. I was the best deal on Craigslist with respect to mods/miles/years/price.

RZ Rob

[​IMG]
  17. mhking

mhking Adventurer

Oddometer:
    thanks for the info i just took a rack off of a 70s 2stroke suzi 125 and welded that onto a bracket ill put pics up when i get em but thanks for the ideas im putin the 50 cal cans on so well see what happens:D
  18. Ulyses

Ulyses Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't know man; I went down hard on the pavement in Guatemala and those big steel ammocans saved my leg from getting crushed under the bike.

Then I got hit by a car in Peru and my panniers saved my leg from getting crushed between the bumper and the bike. I had switched to Pelicans at that point, but it's the same idea.

I agree with you on the offroad part though. Definetly prefer soft bags for that. But a little .50 can? I don't think that's too bad of an idea if you're just looking for a little bit of secure storage.
  19. Ulyses

Ulyses Long timer

Oddometer:
    Cool! I'm interested to see how you tackle this!
  20. Lane_N

Lane_N Pig Wrangler

Oddometer:
    They are really good handguards. I've crashed hard a few times not so hard a bunch of times, no broken controls or other damage other than a few scratches on the plastics.

These are tough handguards, I'd buy them again. The mirrors work, but not as well as the stock ones. I really like being able to fold them up offroad which the stickers don't do.