Pre '96 Suzuki DR650S

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by DRS Canada, Dec 5, 2004.

1. dickm

dickm n00b

Oddometer:
    I've just purchased a 94 DR650 and parts are good in England, admittedly not much use to you!

Mine has very twitchy steering up to 20-25mph but I think that's the replacement Hagon rear shock which the previous owner fitted. I reckon it's lifted the rear to high and increased the rake.

Will update when I've sorted it...
  2. Rusty Rocket

Rusty Rocket Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer:
    Unless you are on a budget that dictates under $2500 I would tell you to hold out for a 96 and newer. I got my 96 with many upgrades for $1700 in Dec 2005.
  3. BikePilot

BikePilot Long timer

Oddometer:
    Parts will be no problem. Aftermarket is pretty small, but you can get even larger fuel tanks without issue and the bike is very solid and reliable. Generic items like chain sprockets, bars, levers etc all available aftermarket - just bike specific stuff will be somewhat limited. Its a fine bike by all accounts, just depends on what you are after. The newer one is physically smaller, smoother, a bit lighter (I think) and has e-start. The previous one IIRC had more low-mid power and had a larger fuel tank and (except for the aqualine) the aftermarket tanks available are larger for the older model as well.

have fun
  4. nashopolis

nashopolis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    yep budget is the big issue for me right now trying for sub $1500 if I can

just looking for a reliable semi-modern do-all bike that I won't cry about if it falls over

**I've got the old (pretty)triumph for sunny local back road strafing/ posing/wrenching and a ural for novelty/local utility and ....more wrenching?!

but I really want to try out a little dirt road action as well as do some occasional touring
    with less of the will I make it/ is it time for a tune up? and more of the where I should i go!

seems like most any modern Japanese bike would fit the bill but I like the DR
    I tested a 2006 DR last year liked the way it felt

didn't know how different the two incarnations were that different from each other
    or whether there would be any hope of getting panniers or such items later

is it better bet to wait till I have more bucks for a newer bike? dunno
    from what I have read about the newer DR/KLRs
    it seems like if you get an okay bike these suckers will go for a long time
    but most of the info i read is about post 96 DS bikes

thanks for the input so far
  5. BikePilot

BikePilot Long timer

Oddometer:
    The older model is a completely different bike - parts not like to interchange, but it is a very solid, well made bike and should last just about forever with basic maintence. Most were kick-start which can be a bother at times. I don't see any great reason to avoid the older model, esp at its pricepoint. Its not like you can't sell it and buy a newer one later if you feel the need.

good luck
  6. Speaker

Speaker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The old DR is a super reliable bike, but parts are tough to get. It does not feel the same the new DRs though, the ergo's on the new DR are more modern and refined. I had a 92' and never minded the kick start. I sold it for $1300, If you can find one, that's the price you want to pay.
  7. tslewisz

tslewisz Long timer

Oddometer:
    I recently bought a '95 DR650SE ('lectric leg) for too much $. I just couldn't resist. :D It's a great old bike. So far I've piped (came w/ a slipon, not installed), jetted (keintech.com, same kit as new ones), chain/sprocketed (your basic Parts Unlimited stuff), DRZ250 tail-lighted (that was a bitch), fenderectomized, LED turn-sig'd, de-stickered, and fat-barred (Flea Market deal). I still need to redo the frontend; have seals and stiffer springs (keintech), waiting on forkbrace, shift lever, and brake line (WTF is up with DualStar?).

I can't imagine you'd be sorry, unless you're like me that you spend so much money pissing with it you coulda bought a new LC4! :lol3 Tell you what, though, even a new DR needs a lot of the stuff I had to buy for mine.

I'm just trying to resist a 6-gal tank and big, dual headlights. Well, that and adding a big GS to the garage.
  8. El Toad Man

El Toad Man Tropical adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nothing wrong with the older DR's. But they are vastly different to the '96 & onwards models, sharing almost no interchangable parts. I've owned both, the earlier ones had more top end power, but were less tractable off idle (stalled easier in slow going). They were heavier too. But they did come better equipped, with large tank, bashplate, fairing, carry rack etc as standard, so they are very good value.

Details of the various year models:
    http://www.suzukicycles.org/DR-series/DR650.shtml
  9. nashopolis

Oddometer:
    thanks this is exactly what I was interested in finding out
    most info I read on the net is on the more recent bikes

well let's hope I can work out a deal that works for all parties

any major flaws to look out for on this model? where should I look for parts etc.?
  10. AkBrian

AkBrian Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've got a 90 DR650S that doesn't see much use any more since I bought my Wee, but I love the bike anyway. It has a massive gas stock gas tank, skidplate, and rear rack. The stock rear shock sucks, I replaced it with one from progressive. You really have to gear the bike down, as the stock gearing its just too tall geared for the way the engines tuned (no low end).
    Once you get the kick starting routine down, you'll wonder why they ever bothered to change them to electric start. MIne fires with just a half assed lazy kick.

On my 90 (yours may be different) you pull the decompressor lever down till it locks, then slowly stroke the engine just till the lever pops back up, then let the kick starter come back up to the top, and then kick.

Watch the balance shaft chain adjustment, you have to pull the side cover off to do it (at least on a 90), Don't let it get to far out of adjustment.

I've never not been able to get a suzuki part from my dealer, but they will have to be ordered.
  11. nashopolis

Oddometer:
    Howdy all
    just wanted to reintroduce myself as the proud new owner of a semi-venerable 93 DR650

I must say that after reading for a long time about duals sports on this site I am pleased as hell to be able to finally have a proper machine

from my research I have already gathered that the pre 96 DR's have a lot less info floating around about them than their younger and more numerous brothers
    but the price fit my budget and i think the bike will fit my perceived riding needs...
    mostly streets and light trails
    and it will be a good bike to learn to REALLY ride on ( I would hate to crunch my unlce's 70 bonnie)
    this bike came "pre-loved"
    no worries about taking the shine off and getting after some miles

however as a new owner AND new to the modern bike scene in general
    I might need a little guidance as to where to go for parts and upgrades

if anyone has some plastic parts off of an older DR they want to part with lemme know
    right now I am going over the bike
    it has about 18K on it
    the fellow I bought it from resuscitated it from neglect about 2 years ago and rode it around as a daily commuter until he found a killer deal on a newer DR
    he did the following: new fork seals, flushed the brakes, new brake pads, re-winding of the stator, new regulator, new bars, new tires, new chain, dynojet kit, progressive front springs, new fork boots,

it needs a new battery but starts up without too much fuss on the charger (kickstart- hooray!)

I haven't had too much time to look over the bike but everything externally looks pretty good
    the word I keep hearing is to check the balancer chain (which I will do when I change the oil)
    anything I should I should be looking out for besides tightening bolts and changing the oil?

I need some new grips and a new brake lever
    is there anywhere good to find parts online?
    I hear the local suzuki dealer will have most things bike specific
    which gaskets/replaceables will I need on hand for spares?
    any tips for the uninitiated into 90's restoration

somehow I need to glue new needles on the speedo and tach which both work fine otherwise
    and sooner or later i want to trick out the bike with a round light or maybe a buell headlight setup
    maybe weld up some sort of pannier rack, amd some handgaurds
    then
    hit the road to mexico.......

but first things first

certainly I won't have much to add for my "knowledge base" but would it be worth putting together a pre96 DR thread?
    the info is scattered to hell and back over the net and pretty hard to find

I do love ADVrider and find the interface really easy to deal with and would now really like to talk about 93 DR's
    anyone interested?

here is the new scoot
    thanks

:clap
  12. murgatroid42

murgatroid42 Great Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Now what?! :patch Simple. Get yourself a good set of gear (if you don't have it already), some bags, and then just ride the thing. Go on adventures, take pictures, and post them in Ride Reports. Don't worry about modding it, use your money to put miles on it. Ride it locally and get a feel for it before going to Mexico.

ronayers.com and cheapcycleparts.com are good places to get Suzuki parts at discount prices. rockymountainatv.com has a lot of aftermarket stuff. thumpertalk.com might have a lot of info on maintaining your bike.
  13. AkBrian

AkBrian Long timer

Oddometer:
    Congrats, I'm sure you'll like the bike.
    First thing to do is get an official, model specific, Suzuki shop manual for the bike. You should be able to order one form your dealer ($), or get one copied and burned to a CD (pdf files) off Ebay (cheap), do a search "dr650".

Long live kick start!
  14. nashopolis

Oddometer:
    thanks Akbrian I guess I took your advice :)

I appreciate the links to stores... stupid as it sounds I feel like I am just learning where moto parts come from
    (Happily I figured out where babies came from a long time ago)

yep i once I go over the bike and tighten the loose parts I will hit the local roads

thankfully I have all the gear
    infact I probably have more $ in my gear than my new bike
    :wink:
    but whatever hospitals are expensive

I have lots of local time on the Ural and some time on the triumph
    but I always look forward to more !!!
  15. daltonzach

daltonzach Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    don't forget www.bikebandit.com for those weird little parts that only oem has. exact same prices as the dealers and no retard behind the parts counter. no offense to any parts people, just that the dealer here hires the kids that couldn't catch the short bus. ride, take pics, have a blast, repeat, no particular order.
  16. BikePilot

BikePilot Long timer

Oddometer:
    Cool bike, have fun with it:clap
  17. bwwoodard

bwwoodard Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I hope I'm not opening a can of worms, but in gereral has the DR 650 changed very much (mechanically)? I have seen many service manuals that vary in the year models that they cover (i.e.- 96 to 02, 97 to 01, and 96 to 06 etc.). I have an '06 and was wondering if there has been many mechanical changes over the years.

Thanks!
  18. singer

singer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not much has changed since 96 to 07.Have a look at the
    DR 650 thread in Thumpers.
  19. johnjen

johnjen Now, even more NOW!…

Oddometer:
    Of to Thumpers

JJ
  20. SteveBroskey

SteveBroskey Teach me this knowledge

Oddometer:
    I just snagged a '91 DR650. I'm still getting a manual and haven't dug into her yet (won't start, busy weekends last week.5) - are the differences between the "old" and "new" (96+) models so drastic that I shouldn't even bother with the DR650 thread? I'm as far as page 25.... there's 500 pages???? :cob